Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa

See Amenities
BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

No Longer Sheraton- Now a Hilton

by written on July 16, 2009

My wife and I went there for a 4 night getaway and we were impressed with everything from the start.

The desk staff was exceptional, upgrading us to an overwater bungalow as soon as we checked in. My wife told them how great it was because it was somewhat of a birthday/anniversary trip, to which the lady replied, "Oh! We didn't know that! Would you prefer a bottle of red or white wine to celebrate?". An hour later a bottle of champagne showed up and I thought that while it wasn't what we asked for, who would complain about a free bottle? Well, the champagne was just for us checking in. The wine showed up a couple of hours after that!

The facilities were absolutely amazing! Our room was an overwater bungalow with a glass bottom section of the floor so you could see the fish swimming and had a great bathroom that could be opened up into the sleeping area making a fairly large open living area. Couple that with the fact that you could go out your sliding glass door and go snorkeling and it was truely exceptional! We didn't take advantage of many of the amenities but there were plenty of excursions to be had (at a cost) and free use of a number of aquatic accessories (snorkeling gear, kayaks, etc.).

The actual land that the property sits on is at a lagoon that is crystal clear and goes probably a 1/4 mile out without going more than 4 - 4.5 ft deep. You can literally sit on your balcony and look out as if you were snorkeling!

As far as the service is concerned everyone was awesome with the exception of the staff at the main restaurant which seemed a little put off by us bothering them. The crepe bar was just as exceptional as the desk staff and seemed very eager to please anytime we visited them.

Overall, I would highly recommend this island, and this resort, to anyone that is looking for a great vacation.

Unique Quality: The exceptional qualities of this place were the lagoon itself, the overwater bungalows, and the majority of the staff.

Directions: Cook's Bay Area

travelbug2007's Profile Photo

A little piece of paradise

by written on December 9, 2007

My wife and I loved this hotel. The rooms were perfect, well maintained, and very big. The staff were all friendly and accomodating. The food was delicious, and drinks plentiful. The overwater bungalows have an opening in the floor to see underneath, which was quite entertaining. Each bungalow has its own private balcony to enjoy the wonderful views. We loved that the sliding door opens up practically the entire length of the bungalow. We spent time each day, lying in bed with the breeze blowing through, folding the curtains inward. It was very relaxing. I enjoyed snorkeling every day while my wife enjoyed watching me. The fish are plentiful and so colorful. I even saw a very large eel. Luckily, I had an underwater camera to capture these memories.

Unique Quality: It's a hotel room over the water! When you open the sliding glass door, the blue hues of the water refresh you while the bold greens of Mt Rotui captivate you. It's an amazing experience.

A very delightful resort

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 28, 2006

Our stay at the Moorea Lagoon Resort was delightful. Service was always prompt, helpful and friendly. The reception staff were typically French, but spoke very good English. Room staff were generally Polynesian, and spoke French and adequate English. The hotel's pool and pool area were beautiful, set against the backdrop of the island's mountain at one end, and against the beach at the other. The gym faciities weren't the best, but I didn't use them at all during our trip. You can have use of a kayak and paddle around the reef off the hotels private beach (for free). The hotel has a restaurant that overlooks the beach, although expensive, the food is of very high quality and very well prepared. A pearl shop in the hotel which is part of a larger chain, we found to be reasonably priced and has very good designed jewellery. As you will gather from other posts in this site, the hotel has garden villas and outrigger style fares. The outrigger fares are more expensive, but for the price, you will have the convenience and privacy of your own sundeck and platform that leads into the reef. Topless bathing is acceptable and quite common on the hotel's beach and poolside. Most of the guests (which seemed to be European) walked around the resort in their swimsuits (but of course getting dressed for restaurant and shop areas). Another great service at the hotel is their spa/massage facilities. It's very popular and difficult to get a booking, but if you book ahead you should be able to get a treatment sometime during your stay. The treatment rooms are on an outrigger fare. You have to try the traditional Polynesian massage!

saraheg77's Profile Photo

Paradise on Earth!

by written on July 25, 2005

The Sheraton Moorea Resort was gorgeous! We stayed there 7 nights during our honeymoon and I loved it! We started out in a garden bungalow, where we stayed 5 days and just upgraded to an overwater on our last 2 nights. The interior of the bungalow was just as nice in the garden one except of course it didn't have a spot in the floor to see through to the ocean.

The pool was also heavenly! We took a dip in it several times in the evenings when there was no one else in it... I loved how you could just walk right in to it... it had an sloping incline into one side of it.

The bungalows range from about $350 to about $900 per night, depending on the exchange rate... but another alternative is to save up Starwood points (you can also get a credit card that saves points for you).

The restaurant there was good, but I would suggest trying some of the restaurants in town - almost all of them have free pick-up.

You can easily sign up for a ton of activities at the desk in the main lobby. The prices may be a bit more than if you researched online and booked ahead directly through the tour operators, but if you aren't sure what you want to do til you get there, it is a good option to just book thru the hotel.

I will add some more pictures to a travelogue! I will never forget the Sheraton Moorea! Maybe Mark will take me back for an anniversary sometime :)

Unique Quality: The overwater bungalows are very unique and not found in many places. Even more special about these, is that the water is shallow and clear right below the bungalows, so you don't even have to get in the water to be able to see all the beautiful fish and coral. See my picture! Those are my feet while I am sitting on the deck of our bungalow.

Directions: On the north side of the island, right in the middle - just follow the main road that goes around the island!

ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

7 days of Fun!

by written on April 21, 2005

Let me first comment on the state of French Polynesia as a whole. It is a very expensive venture to truly enjoy FP. I believe that had I not spent so many nights in the US hotel rooms that make up Starwood Preferred, I would never have had the chance to stay in a hotel like the Sheraton Resort. The seven nights here ran me roughly 60,000 Starpoints, which are not easily accrued! If you are truly interested in making FP a trip reality, I would recommend getting the Starwood Preferred AMEX card, and start putting all your purchases on this card, then paying it off every month. With some discipline you can enjoy this resort after a couple years!

Having said all that, I would highly recommend this resort as the ultimate place to stay while visiting FP. The other Sheratons in FP were either too luxurious, or not luxurious enough, this one hit the mark directly. The Garden Bungalow we enjoyed the first 5 evenings was wonderful and convienent while we explored the island, and the OWB (overwater Bungalow) we had for the last two nights was perfect for the snorkelling and Tahitian Breakfast which arrived via outrigger. There were several restaurants on the resort, all of which were decent, but the location was wonderful for getting around to most of the attractions!

Unique Quality: The overwater Bungalow snorkelling was unique and wonderful!

Lovely cane furniture

by written on September 27, 2002

Our hut had gorgeous cane furniture and I loved the quaint little bathroom but we didn't always have hot water. Never mind it was all part of the holiday atmosphere & fun.

Now I guess things have changed heaps since Sheraton took over. Shame,.... I hope the warm friendly atmosphere hasn't changed.

Garden setting

by written on September 27, 2002

All the little huts were surrounded by beautiful gardens which added to the tropical feel.

Our Polynesian hut

by written on September 27, 2002

I loved the cute little huts. I loved the tropical feel with beautiful cane furniture. Even the cute little bathrooms had cane accesseries. I could see myself living in one of these with a little verandah and hammock on my own secluded beach bay :o)

I bet it's all changed now. The little polynesian huts have probably now been updated :o)

Moorea Lagoon Resort

by written on September 1, 2002

We stayed at Moorea Lagoon resort and the staff were very friendly. William the PR man was excellant. Andre, the barman kept us all laughing. The island band were great, and Animal (obviously his nicname), friend of the band, was a scream. We met lots of people from all over the world and we all felt like we had been friends forever.

Of course this was in 1989 and I've just noticed Sheraton has taken it over. I definately reckon things just won't be the same!!

Nearby Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa

Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa

• Sheraton Moorea
  • Moorea Sheraton
  • Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort And Spa
  • Hilton Moorea Lagoon Hotel Papetoai

Address: Papetoai, (formerly Sheraton Moorea Lagoon Resort and Spa), Moorea, 98729, French Polynesia

16 Photos of Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Moorea Travel Forum

Need advice about Moorea, French Polynesia? Visit the Travel Forum for Moorea and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Moorea hotel reviews

Beach
Plane
Tip...Top!
Things to Do
The ultimate paddle boarding experience!
Temae Beach
Agricultural College
Hiking the Caldeira
Ia Ora Dive Center
Things to Do
Hitchhiking? No problem at all!
Water Walking - Aquablue Exploration
View from the Top
Things to Do
Dinner with a shark show
Cantonese with a view!
Eat on the Beach
Dinner And A Show!!!!
Unpleasant experience
Restaurants
Luck is so important in dining...
A cute white church
Shops at Le Petit Village
Shopping
Beautiful sunsets
Favorites
Snorkeling... of course !