Sofitel Tahiti Maeva Beach Resort

BP 60008, Faaa, Papeete, Tahiti, 98702, French Polynesia

More about Sofitel Tahiti Maeva Beach Resort

Sofitel Nice Hotel Close to Airport

by TripAdvisor Member lamist

We just got back from our honeymoon in Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora. We stayed at all Sofitel hotels on all 3 islands. We booked them through a travel company. We used Tahiti Vacations (818-785-9696), and I thought they were wonderful and I would use them again.

All 3 Sofitels have been recently renovated. The Sofitel in Tahiti is very close to the airport and the rooms are nice and clean. The property is prettier than I expected it to be and the pool and beach are very nice. You can see the island of Moorea from the Sofitel Tahiti, which is an amazing perk. I also took a water aerobics class in the pool, which was fun. We also had lunch at the pool bar, which was nice and the breakfast there was good.

However, we did have one strange experience. I asked for a circle tour around Tahiti and the front desk called this nice American guy named Dave. Dave was wonderful, but at the end of the tour we find out he doesn't take credit cards. We had to run around and hunt cash down for him and the sofitel tahiti was not helpful. We ended up getting cash from the intercontinental.

All the other sofitel properties you can just charge your room for all the tours and activities you take. However, for some odd reason sofitel tahiti doesn't seem to do this, which makes no sense. Anyways I just want to save someone else from the same experience. It was quite surprising and it took a lot of time to hunt down a way to get cash after 5pm in Tahiti! I will find Dave's card and put his info up here, because he is really good.

Nice for a short stay

by TripAdvisor Member erin-TRIP

We stayed at the Sofitel Mieva Beach for two nights, which was pretty clean but service was less than fabulous. Part of the staff was on strike, so there were a bunch of people camping out in front of the resort along the road. And there were a lot of signs up, which were an eyesore at the entrance. But it did not seem to affect the service. The staff was reluctant to go out of their way to help us when the airline lost our luggage, perhaps due to their lack of English, but we felt they could do a little bit more. The breakfast there was great. There were a lot of options, fresh fruit, meats, pancakes made to order, eggs, omelets, cereal, anything you could expect from a buffet style menu. The dinner menu was really good, too. The pool was beautiful and the lagoon was pretty private. Wear flip flops in the water, there are a lot of sharp rocks. There is an outdoor bar next to the pool, which we did not use, but it looked nice. Sunsets facing Moorea were breathtaking! Rooms were pretty clean and well kept. The shower was a rain shower, and it was great! The beds were pretty comfortable, and there is a huge deck if you get a lagoon view room. Don't bother buying anything at the resort store, the prices are OUTRAGEOUS. There is a shopping "mall" in walking distance, with a relatively cheap store where you can buy almost anything you need. The market is a $3.00 bus ride away and it's worth the 20 minute ride. Don't get a cab there, you'll pay close to $50-one way. Overall, on a scale of 1-10, we'd give the resort a 6.

Okay for just one night

by TripAdvisor Member whitesandbeach

We spent one night here in late November at the end of our trip to Tahiti. The front desk staff was polite and the room was nice. The whole hotel looks great.

However, the hotel had some problems (which may have been the result of the hotel strike around the time we were staying, but I'm not sure). For example, there were only two bath towels in the bathroom, and no other towels at all, except for beach towels in the closet. There was only one bar of soap in the bathroom, not even an extra bar for the shower. There wasn't even a bathmat for the floor! The bathrooms were gorgeous, they were just lacking in soap and towels and amenities. Most hotels provide at least two bars of soap and hand towels, etc. I am not trying to be picky, but I just found it odd that items such as these were missing.

We called to order room service (hamburgers are good by the way) and the woman who took the order spent all 45 seconds of the conversation trying to hang up on me. I asked for extra ketchup twice, and yet we got burgers with no ketchup. We asked room service to bring up some ketchup, and they never came back.

We spent a lot of time at the pool, which we enjoyed. The pool is nice, and the view of the sunset from the pool/beach area is beautiful. Again, we were only there for one night, and while the hotel and the rooms look great, we weren't too impressed with the service.

Sofitel was Lovely

by TripAdvisor Member kiwi&yank

We stayed at the (then Sofitel Maeva) hotel in October, on the way back from a trip to the US. We decided to take advantage of a 2 night layover to get some sun and do some snorkeling. We read all the reviews and had stayed at the Sheraton a few years previously on a trip to Moorea. I think the Sofitel is fine.

Our travel agent got us a deal at the Sofitel that was at least $100 (NZ) cheaper per night than the Sheraton. I have no regrets about staying at the Sofitel The rooms were clean and nice, if a little small. The breakfast (we got a rate that included brekkie) was extensive and delicious. The pool and beach are really lovely (not like the beaches out on the islands, Moorea, etc, but fine for a "city beach").

I fly to the US quite a lot to visit family and attend conferences. If I were travelling alone, I would feel perfectly comfortable staying at the Sofitel by myself for a couple of day stopover. There is a large shopping centre down the road (1/2 a kilometer) to stock up on snacks or substitute lunch (the food at the hotel - like everywhere in Tahiti - is very expensive).

A fun thing we did was rent a car for 24 hours and do a lap around the island. It also gave us transport in to Papeete since the Le Trucks seemed to be on strike. We took full advantage of the trailers down by the waterfront for cheap food. It definitely made our quick stopover more affordable - and otherwise we didn't really see anywhere that appealing in the downtown area.

Definitely recommended.

Reasonable hotel w fresh renovations and fantastic pool.

by TripAdvisor Member bambeke

Reasonable hotel w fresh renovations and fantastic pool. Found front counter staff to be somewhat impolite. Food service (i.e. quality and selection) was weak.

We stayed in Tahiti for 1-week prior to 'Island hopping;' learn from our mistake and forego Tahiti altogether; find piece of mind in exquisite Moorea and Bora Bora.

Bright!

by TripAdvisor Member Jen1985

We did not actually stay here, but did a site inspection as part of work (I am a travel agent).

Rooms are brightly coloured with bright tropical duvets and bright yellow curtains. Would strongly recommend clients upgrade from Mountain View Rooms to Lagoon View Rooms as the Mountain rooms over look the busy main road and residential houses.

The property was refurbished in 2005 and has 216 rooms including 2 suites, some rooms are interconnecting. It also has the only Japanese Teppan Yaki restaurant in Tahiti.

Rooms are soundproof which is a positive. We use this hotel for clients who are about to join a cruise as it is in a good location.

So-so Sofitel

Suffering from small rooms and inefficient air conditioning, it's hard to be comfortable in this resort despite a relatively recent upgrade to the bathrooms and decor. Views of Moorea over the lagoon are lovely, and the proximity to the airport is a bonus on one's way to or from other islands, but this is not a place for an extended stay. Suprisingly, there is no fitness center whatsoever; you can swim a few laps in the nicely sized pool, but flip-turns are impossible given the stairs on one end, and as the day goes on, it becomes too crowded. The staff was polite and friendly, but not particularly attentive or helpful. The internet facilities offered are slow and subject to redirection to sites associated with the printers; no staff was able to resolve the problems, though they did refund the use charge. We found the restaurant a pleasant surprise, and the Polynesian buffet at Sunday lunch the best of 3 during our visit to the Society Islands.

Nice rooms

by TripAdvisor Member jdearing22

We were here for one night... And then we went to Moorea... It was a very nice hotel... Beautiful new updated rooms... Flat screened tv, nice view... Big deck, art deco bathroom... Large shower... Lovely hotel...
Front deck attendance didn't understand English much at all... Couldn't answer any questions...
Buffet was ok, alot of fruit flys on the fruits (kind of nasty) and it was very expessive... It was like 40.00 dollars a person...

Nice place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member JoeDesMoines

I wasn't sure what the expect of this hotel after reading some of the reviews. Some complained about the beach, while others said the rooms were too small. I thought this hotel was nice. I didn't think the room was much smaller than any place else I've stayed. The bed was huge.....and comfortable. The bathroom was very modern and nice. Best of all.....the room actually had a pleasant smell....It seems too often I end up in a hotel room that smells musty. I can understand why some might not like the beach....it's not the white sand, crystal blue water you would expect while visiting Tahiti. However, I thought it was o.k. It was especially nice that it was never crowded. A few times we were the only ones on the beach. The same goes for the pool. My only complaint is how exepensive it is to eat the their restaraunts. I know that it's a given that everything is extremely expensive in Tahiti.....but $30 for breakfast? My partner ordered an ice tea at lunch and was charged $6.00. For ice tea????? Needless to say we made other dining arrangements. The tour desk was also hit/miss........they had really wierd hours and didn't seem like they were there very often. One woman was very friendly and helpful, the other....not so much. The sofitel didn't appear to be quite as nice as The intercontinental which was right down the street........but we got a good deal, and overall I was pleased. I wouldn't hesitate in recommding it to others.

Love the Sofitel Hotels

by TripAdvisor Member TravelnutCapeCoral

Very beautiful hotel - every room has a lovely view of their lush gardens. Quiet atmosphere with huge pool, clean small beach and nice outdoor dining area. A great first impression of French Polynesia hospitality. Stay 2 days to really enjoy the area and a visit to town. Too far to go anywhere at night....a distance from town and the airport. Great shuttle service.

Comments