Tahaa Road, Tahaa, 98733, French Polynesia

Le Taha'a Island Resort & Spa
Hotels.com Booking.com Splendia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Lovely but not for everyone

Le Taha'a is a lovely hotel in many ways, but it is not a good fit for everyone. The layout of the overwater bungalows does not maximize privacy (they are also constructed to protect you from the wind, which is a shame as without any breeze you are forced to turn on the a/c and miss out on all the sounds of the sea -- the windows are very sound-proof). However, the bungalows themselves are gorgeous, with fabulously comfortable beds, elegant furnishings, and good amenities. The showers tend to be slow-draining, however.

The service ranges from excellent to completely unacceptable, as does the food. The spa is located by a very buggy pond, and when we were there, the spa did not have air conditioning (so we opted for a slightly awkward in-room massage). The reason the pond is so buggy is because they do not treat it for insects -- I am not sure if there is a legal reason for this or if they are trying to be conservation-minded. I am all for conservation, but the unfortunate effect of the spa's direct proximity to the pond is that you will never be able to enjoy a massage in one of their lovely circular rooms (with many windows and open doorways with no screens) and listen to the breeze. You'll get bit up. They may fix the a/c situation, but the full potential of the spa will never be realized.

The hotel caters mainly to repeat visitors in the 50-and-over crowd, although there are also honeymooners.

Unique Quality: The "gastronomic" restaurant, Ohiri, is a gourmand's dream. Their 9-course "trusting" menu takes into account your preferences and allergies and creates your very own meal. I highly recommend paying extra to have wines paired with each course. The wines are expertly paired and they do not skimp on pours. Our berry-themed _second dessert_ came with a pink Veuve Cliquot champagne. Heaven.

More about Le Tahaa Private Island And Spa

By Sea

by Helga67

For those who like the idea of exploring the islands by sea, and don't want to rough it, there is for example the 'Wind Song', a cruise ship that debarks from Tahiti and visits Raiatea, Bora Bora, Tahaa, Huahine and Moorea in seven days.

Mantaray

by Angelamtp1

RAIATEA-TAHAA, the two sister islands, attract large schools of pelagic fish. Dog-toothed Tuna, Barracuda, Leopard Rays and sometimes Manta Rays when in season. Divers can assist with shark feeding - a hair-raising experience! The operator here is Raiatea Plongee.

Okay, u've just landed in...

by Anasia

Okay, u've just landed in Faa'a, the international airport. Now, take ur luggages and leave Tahiti. Go and visit Moorea, Huahine, Tahaa, Raiatea. I love Tahiti, I've been raised there and this is the place where I belong. But it's not the most beautiful island in French Polynesia. My fav island is Huahine, tho I never was given the chance to visit each island (French Polynesia is as big as Europe actually).

Best in Tahiti

We stayed at La Taha'a for the New Year on our honeymoon after staying at the Bora Bora Nui for xmas. Absolute perfection! Private, understated luxury and attentive service. Bungalows 6-8 are best for having views of Bora Bora but also straight onto the lagoon without being in the sight of the pool or any other bungalows. From your deck and panoramic window you feel as if you are the only people on Tahaa
The spa was fantastic. Outdoor showers and semi-outdoor treatment rooms. Massages can be had in the shallow water of the lagoon.
The conceirges, Eric, Annabelle and Shu are always available to handle any needs.
My wife and I travel the world staying at 5 star hotels. This is our new Favorite Hotel. The best $1100 per night you will ever spend.
We enjoyed the Bora Bora Nui but were awed by Tahaa. Bora Bora is a beautiful island not to be missed however the Nui is not in the same league. Perhaps the new St. Regis or Four Seasons being built on Bora Bora will raise the bar.
If I had to plan the trip again I would have chosen a less expensive hotel in Bora Bora (perhaps the Pearl) since the source of enjoyment is the natural beauty not the actual hotel facility. Save your money for more time in Tahaa.

The Climax of our Polynesia trip

Out of the 5 locations we went to for our honeymoons, Tahaa was the best. I can't find anything bad. Watervillas are the best we have seen there, the food is just fantastic, location is paradise and the service is 100%. It s also completly different from the ultra busy BoraBora lagoon. The diving there is different, wilder, harder and with bigger sharks.
The cocktail bar, and pool bars are excellent and the spa is absolutely fantastic. We decided to go back there for our 5 years anniversary. Don't hesitate, just go.

as good as it gets.....

So basically, this is the best hotel in French Polynesia. After landing in Raitea, we were shuttled via private boat straight to the hotel. We were greeted with cold towels and drink and given an OWB located exactly where I requested. The staff is incredibly helpful and anticipates your every need. They are attentive and go out of their way to attempt to make you happy. The grounds are beautiful and well kept and give you a feeling of a Tahitian island oasis.

The over-water bungalows are off the charts. They are new, clean, and big with every amenity you will need. I would suggest that you request one as far out as possible. It worth the walk and the view from the outer bungalows are incredible. We ordered room service for breakfast everyday, which is the way to go. Having breakfast on you oversized deck under a thatched breakfast nook as you look out on to a crystal lagoon is a nice way to start the day.

The infinity pool is small, well kept and never crowed. The activities desk was helpful and arranged a day trip for me and my girlfriend. I would definitely recommend booking a shark feeding / ray feeding / snorkeling tour while you are at the resort. It is relatively inexpensive and a great experience. I snorkeled everyday for 2 hours off the back side of the hotel and it was great. There was a huge variety of fish and corals.

The only drawback of the hotel is the food. For some reason the restaurant (not the gourmet one, which was closed) was lacking. The food was expensive and really not that good. I mean they try, but for the caliber of hotel, it was dog food. Ok, that was harsh, but I don’t understand why the food wouldn’t be world class. I suggest you stick to the fresh fruit, raw fish salad (poission de cru), and hamburgers. I think that they try to cater to a variety of international palates, and in doing so, screw the whole menu up.

The natural unspoiled beauty of Tahaa along with the astonishing grounds and rooms at Private Island Tahaa, make this an incredible property. They positives far outweigh any negatives I have mentioned and I will definitely go back. If you are thinking about going to this hotel, you DEFINATELY should. If you don’t like this hotel you won’t be happy anywhere. It’s the kind of property where you feel privileged to be able to stay at.

Over the top luxury

by TripAdvisor Member Sunnyvale_Dave

This is the place to end your Tahiti vacation. First spend time in Bora Bora, definitely the most beautiful island and not to be missed. There is more to do there, and some of the not to be missed items include scuba (don't be scared, on the first dive you can pop back up to the surface, you only go down 15 feet - and you can repeat a beginning dive again and again until your ready to go deeper, 20 or 30 feet. They will be very gentle with you, DON'T WORRY!!!) If you don't scuba, then the snuba is a must. And no trip is complete without a shark feeding, and a submarine ride is fun (they only hold about 6 people, not like the big ones in Hawaii). Around the island tours are fun, dinner on a private motu, eating at Bloody Mary's is should not be missed - be sure to leave your shoes in the cubby at the entrance. But the real feast should be at Villa Mahala, a meal to be remembered. And Hotel Bora Bora is our favorite place to stay there by far.
But when you're ready for complete isolation, go over to La Tahaa. There is little to do there, but the resort and spa are truly fantastic. And the helicopter ride from Bora Bora is very quick, but absolutely beautiful and unforgetable.
We stayed at a beach front bungalow - Tahiti is mostly bungalows, very few big hotels like Hawaii or Cancun. We prefer the beach front, but I have to admit an overwater bugalow for only a few nights sometime during your first trip is a must. Where else can you do that? The beach front rooms are very large, and the outdoor shower filled with purple flower petals is unbelievable. The snorkling here is okay, and outside the resort there is not much to do, except the 4x4 tour was really fun. We were fortunate to get Teva, he really did many things that showed his sincere adoration of his homeland. The scuba diving is also nice. But this is the resort that really is over the top, although with not much to do. Therefore, I would save it for last, and not spend too many days there since it's all about R&R at this place, as the spa will prove.
Beware, Tahiti is a foreign country. We always felt very safe, and the locals try very hard to give all tourists a memorable trip, but not everything is as precise as what we are used to. So relax, and enjoy.
Also, it is extremely expensive, there aren't even small bungalows in the nice resorts for $500, you must pay either side of $1,000 per night, but you will get a trip of a lifetime. And a cheeseburger in this paradise will set you back $20. So be prepared to loosen the purse strings and enjoy. Tahiti, in particular Bora Bora and La Tahaa will be the trip of your life. Unless you're a golfer, you may never want to return to Hawaii again. The only other places I've heard that are comparable to this are the Maldives, Malaysia, and Thialand, all a bit further but less expensive.
So save your pennies and enjoy. We are planning our fourth trip now and anticipate many more after that.

If you are debating on where to stay.....STOP NOW AND BOOK HERE!!!

by TripAdvisor Member mandys97

After researching every luxury hotel and island, we decided on La Taha'a for our honeymoon......we could have bought a small car with what we spent, but it was worth every cent! We stayed in over water #2....this is the room with the best view of Bora Bora. My husband and I still reminisce about having breakfast on our private deck overlooking crystal blue water and Bora Bora as well as snorkeling/canoeing our hearts out from our room.

The food at the Ohiri (fine dining) was AMAZING. We live in NYC and felt that this restaurant could complete with any of the finest places in the city. We ordered breakfast every morning and ate in the dining area of our deck. We ate lunch at the poolside restaurant...which was good...nothing crazy. They have a meal plan, which we didn't know about...but it's much cheaper then a la carte...ask about it. We also went on a dining adventure to Tahaa. I can't remember the name of the restaurant..but it's "famous" for its seafood. When we went we were the only guests that night (big volleyball event happening), the owner/chef picked us up from the boat dock..drove us (with her son) to the restaurant...cooked for us and sat down and chatted for a while. It was good seafood, but more worth it for the crazy stories we took away with us.

The pool area is nice and has a cute swim up bar and a good looking native who hands out the activity equipment. If you go...don't over look the Jacuzzi that is directly on the beach (to the right of the pool area), but surrounded by bushes and trees so that it's private.

We also stayed at the Nui Resort in Bora Bora....wasn't that impressed.... but the lagoon was gorgeous like advertised. We visited Moorea for a few nights too and loved the Sheraton. When we go back we will only stay at Le Taha'a and the Sheraton Moorea. Hope this helps you decide..enjoy and say hello to Shane at the concierge desk!

The island of TahaaThe island of Tahaa

Dream Island Moorea, Tiare's Breeze Tahaa and Rohutu Fare Bora Bora?

by daneen

Has anyone stayed at any of these small pensions. We are planning to stay with them and would love to hear experiences from anyone who has already stayed there.

Daneen

by HansDK

by traveltime10

bookmark

by daneen

Yup I already looked at trip advisor. They gave great reviews but I was eager to hear from a traveler on this system who might have been there. Thank you though!

Daneen

by AustrianInSydney

Hi Daneen,

I have stayed in Rohutu Fare Lodge on Bora Bora in October 2007. While not on the beach, it offers one of the greatest views over the lagoon. The Fares are lovely decorated and the beds are great. Our shower was a statue where water would run of her hands. It is all set in a lovely garden.
The owner speaks fluent english and is more than helpful in arranging any excursions you want to do. You can take a bike and go to town.

I can highly recommend the Rohutu Fare Lodge.

Cheers