Cross Island Road, Apia, Upolu, Samoa

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

Nice enough but not great

This hotel has a relatively interesting history which I encourage you to read if you happen to stay there. It is only one page. It was founded by a German naval captain and has been handed down through the generations and is still owned by the Kruze family which has apparently become relatively large and influential with family members throughout the Samoan islands. Though there must be a continuous male line in order for them to have maintained the Kruze name, many of the Kruzes whom I encountered were Samoan and/or ethnically mixed.
    This was a comfortable, more than adequately sized facility with 54 guest rooms. My room had a kitchen in it but no microwave. The apartment-size fridge came in very nicely, however, during my time of relative confinement due to my foot problem.
    The food in their restaurant was better than average developing world fare and the room rate included a very nice hot breakfast buffet. The restaurant also offered specialty buffets at least three night per week which, if memory serves, were a steak night, a Polynesian night, and a barbecue night but Samoan barbecue is not like American barbecue. They also had live local music on these buffet nights.
    The biggest problem which I had at the hotel was that the staff were reported to speak English and all knew some English but too frequently I would ask fairly simple, straightforward questions, such as, "Where is your convenience store?" (at the front desk, when I registered) only to be met with a quizzical look. This was particularly noticeable among the waiters in the restaurant.

Unique Quality: Recreational amenities include an outdoor pool. This 3-star property has a business center and offers two small meeting rooms, but the business center was not available to me during the three days which I stayed there. They offer an area shuttle, which is complimentary, but that complementarity does not extend to the international airport. When I first had this hotel recommended to me, I was told that a free shuttle would pick me up at the airport. I was also told that I could save money on my room rate if I prepaid before I left American Samoa so on my last day in American Samoa, I went to pay for my room. While there, their agent (part of the ownership family) was amazingly gracious and even helped me to find medical care for my foot but she also told me that the hotel shuttle would not be available to pick me up at the airport and that I should just take a taxi which should cost me between US$5-10. Upon claiming my bag and clearing Samoan immigration and customs, I quickly discovered that the going rate was 60 WST (just under US$30). I finally argued the driver at the front of the queue down to 50 WST (~$25). On my return trip, the hotel shuttle did transport me to the airport and only charged 40 WST (~$20).
    Additional property amenities include tour/ticket assistance, laundry facilities, and a convenience store but do not expect a 7/11 nor Circle K when you visit their convenience store.
    Another relatively minor disappointment was that they did have six TV channels but at no time during my stay were more than three of them were on the air, and the world says that we (Americans) love violence, but every movie which I found was about martial arts and/or warfare.

Directions: Close to Apia Park, Robert Louis Stevenson Museum, the National Parliament building, and what is probably the nicest hospital in all of the Samoan Islands.

More about Apia

German past. Site where the flagpole was raised.German past. Site where the flagpole was raised.

Really amazing church on the main street of ApiaReally amazing church on the main street of Apia

Ouchh!Ouchh!

Apia, Western Samoa 1997Apia, Western Samoa 1997

enquiry about getting a tattoo

by seu

hi, i was just wondering,i'm travelling to samoa for a few days early next year and i was hoping to get a tattoo while im there, i just wanted to enquire about price and availability thank you

kind regards seu

by Odinnthor

It's been a while since my time in Apia, Samoa, but even then there were Samoan tatoos to be had. I cannot remember any particular place, but I looked around, and found this place here. Review the whole thing ans you should get the idea.

Once in Apia, you should have no problem finding a parlor.

by xymmot

size matter, but I always negoiate 100 bucks

by Kakapo2

I made enquiries about tattoos in Samoa last year - not that I would have wanted one, but I wanted to know more about it ;-) - and got the information from the Samoan Tourism Authority in Apia.

I would contact them and ask. I got a lot of great info from there.

There is a contact form on their website:

Travel Tips for Apia

Mount Vaea

by Maneaba

When visiting the Apia area you might try taking a hike up to the top of Maunga Vaea
which the final resting place of Tusitala which is a Samoan word for Storyteller
also better known to us as the famed author Robert Louis Stevenson.
Stevenson began his travels from his native Scotland after contracting TB
and wanted fresh air so he traveled across to the United States and lived in St Helena California
for awhile the ventured on to Hawaii where he met with Hawaiian royalty
and became friends with Princess Kai'ulani during her teenage years
after Hawaii traveled to the present day Republic of Kiribati to the island of Abemama
where he met with it's fierce chief Tem Binoka and became friends with him
After leaving Abemama traveled on to Samoa and settled there and lived many years there
and recuperated from his TB but died from a massive stroke in his old age.
It took several big husky Samoan men
to carry his coffin up to the top of the mountain where he is laid to rest
It's about an hour and a half climb to the top of the mountain.

Apia is... cute!

by petwouters

"A "walkable" capital city :-)"

Apia is walkable - that's for sure. And it is cute, that's for sure too. It's so small you can easily walk around and see everything.

And that's a bit relative, even: there's not all THAT much to see, but it's a great place for a half day visit.

What you should definitely visit are the markets. They are massive - and you can find about everything you need - from sarongs (seriously, there's heaps!) to paintings, local crafts, foods, everything. And it's all relatively cheap too! There is a great atmosphere and bargaining can definitely bring the price down quite considerably. Also a great place to find South Pacific Style jewellery if you are into that kind of stuff.

Another nice thing to do is to just stroll along the little harbour - entertainment guaranteed! We walked for about 15 minutes and saw at least 5 or 6 pick-up trucks (or for the Aussies amongt us: utes) passing by loaded with people, all singing the most beautiful songs! That's one thing that Samoans are good at: singing! Absolutely fantastic voices they have!

"The Tourism Office"

The Tourism Office in Apia looks like a giant fale: the standard hut-type accommodation of the average Samoan. A great idea though: it's basically four walls and a roof, but the greatest thing is that the walls are made of palm leaf sheets or something alike. They just open them during the HOT days and lower them again at night.

They don't seem to mind you looking into their houses during the day (as obviously most fales are open during the day).

The tourist office is impressive from the outside, but we didn't exactly find a lot of information on the inside; that's rather a pity. There are a few people that are more than willing to help, but to pick up brochures, I think you're better off in your hotel or resort. They don't seem to stock a lot. It's an impressive building though, amongst the lushest green I've ever seen!

"Central Apia Church"

This church is massive! Samoa is a very religious country with several people going to multiple church services a day. They all dress up for it too: a lot of people seem to wear white to church.

This church is big - you can wander in. We thought the inside looked quite interesting - there's a lot of tiles on the wall which is rather unusual - so it made us think of a giant bathroom almost - with all due respect of course.

Apia, Western Samoa

by Mbressler

"General"

I am currently living in Samoa as a volunteer. When I arrived, I couldn't get over the beauty of the island nor could I breathe when driving along the ocean. I've never seen water so blue, so clear. The way of life in Samoa is relaxing. Stress is non-existent unless you are the hare in a society filled with tortoises. Samoans are the friendliest people I've ever met, always laughing and poking fun at one another. They are truly one the most talented cultures on earth when it comes to song, dance, performance, anything related to the arts. They are great hosts, offering their homes to anyone interested in learning about their culture. They are proud people, proud of their country, their culture, and proud of their way of life - and they should be.

Comments