Insel Fehmarn Hotel

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 204 reviews
Booking.com Expedia.com
etfromnc's Profile Photo

Nice enough but not great

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 3, 2013

This hotel has a relatively interesting history which I encourage you to read if you happen to stay there. It is only one page. It was founded by a German naval captain and has been handed down through the generations and is still owned by the Kruze family which has apparently become relatively large and influential with family members throughout the Samoan islands. Though there must be a continuous male line in order for them to have maintained the Kruze name, many of the Kruzes whom I encountered were Samoan and/or ethnically mixed.
This was a comfortable, more than adequately sized facility with 54 guest rooms. My room had a kitchen in it but no microwave. The apartment-size fridge came in very nicely, however, during my time of relative confinement due to my foot problem.
The food in their restaurant was better than average developing world fare and the room rate included a very nice hot breakfast buffet. The restaurant also offered specialty buffets at least three night per week which, if memory serves, were a steak night, a Polynesian night, and a barbecue night but Samoan barbecue is not like American barbecue. They also had live local music on these buffet nights.
The biggest problem which I had at the hotel was that the staff were reported to speak English and all knew some English but too frequently I would ask fairly simple, straightforward questions, such as, "Where is your convenience store?" (at the front desk, when I registered) only to be met with a quizzical look. This was particularly noticeable among the waiters in the restaurant.

Unique Quality: Recreational amenities include an outdoor pool. This 3-star property has a business center and offers two small meeting rooms, but the business center was not available to me during the three days which I stayed there. They offer an area shuttle, which is complimentary, but that complementarity does not extend to the international airport. When I first had this hotel recommended to me, I was told that a free shuttle would pick me up at the airport. I was also told that I could save money on my room rate if I prepaid before I left American Samoa so on my last day in American Samoa, I went to pay for my room. While there, their agent (part of the ownership family) was amazingly gracious and even helped me to find medical care for my foot but she also told me that the hotel shuttle would not be available to pick me up at the airport and that I should just take a taxi which should cost me between US$5-10. Upon claiming my bag and clearing Samoan immigration and customs, I quickly discovered that the going rate was 60 WST (just under US$30). I finally argued the driver at the front of the queue down to 50 WST (~$25). On my return trip, the hotel shuttle did transport me to the airport and only charged 40 WST (~$20).
Additional property amenities include tour/ticket assistance, laundry facilities, and a convenience store but do not expect a 7/11 nor Circle K when you visit their convenience store.
Another relatively minor disappointment was that they did have six TV channels but at no time during my stay were more than three of them were on the air, and the world says that we (Americans) love violence, but every movie which I found was about martial arts and/or warfare.

Directions: Close to Apia Park, Robert Louis Stevenson Museum, the National Parliament building, and what is probably the nicest hospital in all of the Samoan Islands.

Nearby Insel Fehmarn Hotel

• Free Parking
  • Business Services
  • Kitchenette

Apia Travel Forum

Need advice about Apia, Independant State of Samoa? Visit the Travel Forum for Apia and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Apia hotel reviews