New Zealand Hotels

Our Members Say

• Bilimari profile photo Bilimari
  • Reviews: 208

Hilton Auckland Hotel: Hotel with harbor view

This hotel is located in very convenient location as it's in the city centre. Lots of restaurants and shops are within the walking distance.
The hotel is also standing at the edge of the harbor providing beautiful harbor view. You can walk or jog around the hotel by the water safely as it's blocked from outside traffic.
The building and the room are modern and kept nicely. Free Wifi was available at the lobby.

• Written October 9, 2013

Hilton Auckland

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Aloha Seaview Resort.: Lovely Bay of Islands.

Spent two nights here while staying in Paihia.Our studio which consisted of a kitchenette,lounge/bedroom area together with a large en suite with shower only.Well equipped with fridge,microwave,cooker and toaster.The studio came with an outside patio area which was a pleasant place to have a meal.The room had no a/c,and as it faced west would become quite hot by the evening, fan supplied.Nice pool with views across the bay.Free wi fi ,and parking close by.

• Related to: Sailing and Boating, Beaches
  • Written April 3, 2013

Aloha Seaview Resort

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Three Rivers Lodge: Lovely location.

Upon arrival we had a warm welcome from the owner, Joanne.Our room which was at the front of the property and had amazing views across to the lake and mountains.The rooms were spacious,modern and spotlessly clean,with a comfy queen size bed and quality bed linen.The room was equipped with Sky TV,fridge and tea/coffee.
Breakfast was a choice of continental or full cooked,the cooked was done to order.Parking is almost next to your room.

Situated in a quite location with lovely views.TIP-ask for a room next to the owners accommodation for a room with a view.Several good restaurants within a 2 minute drive.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Photography
  • Written April 2, 2013

Bedroom

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cambrai House: Great base for stay in Nelson.

Spent two night here on our tour of N.Z, and loved this accommodation.Lovely welcome from Karel and David with a very comfortable room.Great breakfast,which was served in the dining room with the other guests from different parts of the world.Parking was at the front of the property and there was also a nice garden in which to enjoy a drink.
This was a nicely restored property with quality furnishings and a nice relaxed feel.
A 15 minute walk took you into the town of Nelson with several good restaurants.
David and Karel are NZ born and bred ,so have a vast knowledge of the country.

• Related to: Photography, Road Trip
  • Written March 17, 2013

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Colombo In The City: Good location for city.

We stayed here for one night before flying on to Sydney the following afternoon.The accommodation was comfortable ,clean and spacious with fridge,microwave and Sky TV.Parking was available within 40 yards of our room.Good size en suite with shower.

• Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written March 16, 2013

Motel forecourt

• angiebabe profile photo angiebabe
  • Reviews: 1671
www.hit-nz.com: Homestays for Israelis travelling around NZ

An aunt of mine told me about this organisation that she is involved with and she herself has hosted 170 Israelis so far - people around NZ who are Bible believing Christians or people with a heart or love for people from Israel and all things Jewish and want to open their homes to Israeli backpackers or travellers making their way around NZ.

Excellent website for more info and also a catalogue is published that gives addresses of people who much like the Couch surfing set up who want to connect with Israelis travelling around NZ. The organisation is actually international and the catalogue also includes the addresses or contacts of hosts in other parts of the world.

Opportunity to meet local New Zealanders around the country and stay in their home - learn about local life - stay for a night or a few days - people do this out of a kindness and open heart to open their homes to travellers and have a mutual opportunity to learn about each other and their lives - so no real fee is asked for but generally encouraged to pay at least $5 to cover costs - if staying for a few days it is suggested to do things around the house such as helping in the garden, washing the car, help with some ironing etc towards being put up in a hosts home.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written January 30, 2013

• al2401 profile photo al2401
  • Reviews: 1010

Kiwi Holiday Parks: Great value for money

Kiwi Holiday Parks are more than a campground. They are sites for caravans, campervans as well as tents. They also have tourist flats and studio appartments with various levels of service. They are part of the Kiwi chain which my mother and I used on our NZ road trip. If you pre-purchase a Kiwi card you are entitled to a discount on your accommodation and selected activities.

We chose self contained tourist flats/cabins with our own bathroom and kitchen facilities (in deference to my mother's age) but there are more basic units available with shared kitchen/bathroom facilities.

Throughout New Zealand we found Kiwi Parks to be well situated. The owners/staff were always freindly and helpful and the flats clean. Always plenty of hot water for a shower.

Between 90 and 100 NZ dollars per unit for two or more people.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written August 22, 2012

• thegirlfromnewy profile photo thegirlfromnewy
  • Reviews: 23

Holiday Inn Rotorua: Nice hotel if you can get past the smell

Hotel was nice and up to date. WiFi available in the foyer, and a great sitting area near the fire. plenty of parking and even a gift shop. Staff were very helpful, smooth checkin (even let us check in a little bit early) and booked a tour for us
Room was very clean and bathroom a decent size.
Note- the hotel has natural springs behind it so the smell can be quite overwelming particularly in the hallways and lift.
pool looked nice though we didnt have time to use it

• Related to: Women's Travel, Singles, Family Travel
  • Written August 6, 2012

• thegirlfromnewy profile photo thegirlfromnewy
  • Reviews: 23

Bianco off Queen: Pleasant

We had a total of three nights booked. 2 nights when we arrived in Auckland and 1 night at the end of the trip before flying home. For both stays we booked a 2 bedroom apartment.

Pros:
Both rooms were spacious
Kitchen and washer/dryer.
Apartments were clean
No noise from neighbouring apartments
1hour free internet per day
Staff let you park to drop luggage off
Staff helpful
Cons:
Housekeeping didnt even make the beds properly
Very noisy (street noise) on the Friday night
Continetal breakfast was terrible, yoghurt, juice,a museli bar and a muffin (which didnt get change when we didnt consume it after the first day

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Business Travel
  • Written August 6, 2012

• Bunsch profile photo Bunsch
  • Reviews: 546

Wilderness: Try a camper-van

The original plan was that I would visit my brother (who is Auckland-based), and we'd maybe rent a car and see a bit of the area within easy driving distance of the city. But then my friend Jeanne decided to join us, and with the prospect of having to rent two rooms, the economics changed; we opted instead for a large camper-van from Wilderness, which was amongst the top-rated companies for equipment and customer satisfaction. You can pick up vans in Auckland or Christchurch although other outfitters also have units available in many smaller locations.

We found our unit worked very well for three adults, although it was advertised for two adults and two children. The beds were really comfortable. Cooking space was adequate (and the external grill was a wonderful extra). We quickly got into a routine which allowed everybody to co-exist despite the compact space. It was terrific to have the option to simply pull over if we were tired -- or if the view was superlative, or someone had just spotted a roadside stand with just-picked veggies and fruits on offer. We got into the habit of having a REALLY local wine with our local cheeses and pates as we'd relax towards evening, something encouraged by the clever folding table and comfortable chairs which could be set up in a jiffy so we could enjoy the breezes next to the water.

Despite the relatively high per diem, the fact that most of our camp "sites" were either DOC (with costs ranging as high as $6/night) or so-called "freedom camping" (allowed because we had a self-contained unit) brought our overall costs, including gas, within the range of what we'd have paid for decent hotel rooms -- but enabled us to see all sorts of places which would not have had hotel rooms readily available. And of course we saved a bundle by eating most of our meals "at home," even though we didn't stint on luxuries.

Wilderness provided a lot of support, particularly with itinerary-planning. I'm sure we couldn't have had as complete an experience had we not followed much of their advice.

• Related to: Family Travel, Road Trip, School Holidays
  • Written May 3, 2012
Tip Photo

Wilderness' website photo of our unit

• peterfern profile photo peterfern

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Apple Tree Backpackers: Best Backpacker Hostel in New Zealand.

The best stay i had in my travels in New Zealand. The owners are warm, homely people. Has internet, a TV room, a sunny backyard, Lake facing rooms, modern kitchen, and lovely people! Highly recommend this hostel to any backpacker wanting to have a wonderful time.

The atmosphere! The people! The owners Marcello and April :)

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Surfing
  • Written April 25, 2012

People

• kharmencita profile photo kharmencita
  • Reviews: 177

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Best Western Camelot Court now Camelot Motor Lodg: An Overnight Stay in this Hotel

Best Western Camelot Court Motel now presently named Camelot Motor Lodge. The Hotel design and color is presently changed but the cone shaped roof form remained just like a Castle.

I have stayed once at Camelot Court and will continue to stay there whenever i go again to Christchurch. The Motel is located within walking distance to the city Center. Close to the church, museums and Malls. .

The Motel is very quiet although it is on the busy Papanui road. The owners are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are really big and well appointed and very comfortable, and the price very reasonable.

If you happened to visit Christchurch,this is defininitely the exact place to stay.

I selected this Hotel because it was not so expensive. A budget Hotel in the middle of the City. I wanted to make use of the day to visit the Center of the City. With this short acces to the center i was able to see different places in short period of time before my relatives picked me up the day after.

This Hotel is just 15 minutes drive from the Christchurch International Airport. A 15 minutes walk to the City Center and a 5 minutes drive to the Train Station.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Women's Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written April 11, 2012
Tip Photo

Camelot Court Motel now Camelot Motor Lodge, Chch.

• manja13 profile photo manja13
  • Reviews: 15

Athena Motel: A rare find

I actually stumbled upon this hotel. I did not make any prior booking. I guess i was lucky enough to get a room to accommodate 4 adults. The manager is very nice and accomodating.

I stayed in a two level style apartment. Beautiful apartment. It's like home away from home. The apt can accommodate 5 people. One bedroom in first floor with lounge with sofa sette and kitchen and bathroom . Internal stairs to mezzanine floor with super king size bed and single (or 3 singles). Each level has it's own TV. There's a WC on the second floor which is convenient. It's nice for family and group of 4-5 travellling together and yet have your own privacy as well.

It's 5 mins drive from the city centre. Across the road is a big shopping mall called the Westfield. There are some smaller fashion shops within walking distance from the motel.

I will definitely come back and stay here again.

nice hospitality.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Women's Travel, Seniors
  • Written February 15, 2012

Athena Motel

• NZUStraveler profile photo NZUStraveler

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Belle Mer Apartments/Hotel: “Very Disappointing”

We went to Belle Mer with my two (2) sons and their three (3) wonderful and beautiful friends for what we had hoped would be an enjoyable and relaxing New Year’s break vacation for six (6) nights. I wish I could say that the Belle Mer was everything we had hoped for, it wasn’t.

In fact, the management’s attitude and behavior was unprofessional, rude, crass and just plain old horrifying. It really seemed as if they were operating under the presumption that these innocent young adults were radical in their thoughts and ideas, deeply troubled, reckless, dishonest and unworthy of even lodging in or about the Belle Mer even if for a short stay.

Knowing that we would be ringing in the new year with my beautiful children and their equally beautiful guests, some who happen to be South Pacific / Asian / Maori, I could only have expected that equality is a thing of the present while inequality is very much a thing of the past. Although this is only my opinion, my experience at the Belle Mer would strongly suggest that its management does not embrace nor share the very values and ideals of equality.

At first I thought I was just being an over protective Dad. However, the mere fact that my children and their friends expressed to me that they felt as if the cover of their book was being judged without reading nor appreciating the pages in between, confirmed for me that a philosophy and an attitude that has long since departed civilized society was still being embraced in some places in our world. I did not expect one of those places to be a place people look to for peace and tranquility I did not expect one of these places to be, possibly and according to my children and their friends, The Belle Mer.

I have always taught my children to accept others for who they are, not what they are, just as I have instilled in them the values of racial equality, generosity and simple, random acts of kindness onto unexpecting others. I have been fortunate to have dual citizenship, as do my children, in the United States and New Zealand. We have traveled the world, each time learning, understanding and embracing the beautiful mosaic of cultures that makes up our world. Keeping that in mind, I have stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world and have never, ever, experienced anything like what we experienced at the Belle Mer.

The view from our room was magnificent, however, for an establishment that rates itself as a luxury accommodation that lacks nothing, the quality of the apartment itself would suggest otherwise. The bedrooms are quite small; they have no dressers and the organizational amenity it offers for your clothing are metal racks located in the closets. The units offer two (2) bathrooms, one (1) common bathroom that is small and one (1) larger master bedroom bathroom, however, both are without ventilation and you are free to imagine the unpleasantness of this on your own, as I would rather not describe it nor relive it. The laundry is located just inside the common bathroom and the vents for the clothes dryer are vented directly into the room, making it impossible to dry anything, not to mention how uncomfortably humid this makes it. The living area lounge suites/couches are becoming worn and are threadbare. The dining table marred and marked by many water stains. Although I am not one to complain and although these things you would easily ignore for a low or moderately priced apartment, however, I certainly would never expect this type of lack with regards to accommodations for a unit in this price bracket.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend the Belle Mer.

Shocking management behavior.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel
  • Written January 27, 2012

• Adriennemary profile photo Adriennemary

Microtel YHA Backpackers: Best Budget Backpacker

My Friend and I stayed two nights. Clean, tidy, room with good quality towels and linen. Kitchen and lounge also great. Very good to see heater in the room as it was cold when we stayed. The Manager was very helpful. I will come again!!!!!

• Written August 9, 2011