Auckland City YHA

Satisfaction Poor

More about Auckland City YHA

Budget accommodations in Auckland

by Francesco-C about YHA hostels

There are two YHA hostels in Auckland (and many others more). Both are in city center very close to Queen Street, 10 minutes walking from the Harbour. Auckland city YHA has a wonderful view on the city. Both are clean, well equipped with laundry, kitchen, common room, TV longue and a useful travel center for any kind of bookings and information.

Haka - traditional dance New Zealand Maori peopleHaka - traditional dance New Zealand Maori people

Viaduct HarborViaduct Harbor

sky tower jumpingsky tower jumping

Me, sitting on the glass floorMe, sitting on the glass floor

Which of the 2 YHA hostels in Auckland is bettter?

by nimka

It seems there are 2 YHA hostels in Auckland.
Auckland city YHA and Auckland International YHA.

Both of them seem to be in the city. Any idea which one is better.

-Nimmi

Re: Which of the 2 YHA hostels in Auckland is bettter?

by kiwigal_1

Hi. Yes you are right, there are two YHA Hostels. They are both very close to each other. As I live in Auckland I have never stayed at either hostel and I can't even attest to their reputations. Other than seeing them on a map I haven't been to them.
If you are looking for cheap accommodation in the city there are plenty of places other than these hostels. Backpackers in the city start at around $30 per night. You should see some of the suggestions on my Auckland page.
Alternatively, give me an email with your requirements and I can try and make some enquiries on your behalf.

Regards,
Rhianon

Re: Re: Which of the 2 YHA hostels in Auckland is bettter?

by nimka

Rhianon,

I really appreciate your offer to help me find a place. Can you find a decent budget hotel or hostel for a single female. I would prefer a single room and if the bathroom is ensuite all the more better. I have to leave on a month long trip in 2 days time so if we can reserve before I leave I will be grateful. I am not sure what would be a centrally located area but I will trust your judgement.

Thanks.

-Nimmi

Re: Re: Which of the 2 YHA hostels in Auckland is bettter?

by kiwigal_1

Hello,

I suggest you go to these websites and book one of these places directly. All of them are centrally located and have good reputations.

www.acb.co.nz
www.qsb.co.nz

This place is in Mt Eden Village just outside the city :

New Zealand, Auckland--next stop

by enjoyinglife

Hello everyone! Been traveling around the world and having a wonderful time. In Japan right now and on my way to NZ, Auckland next. Looking for some feedback on some hostels and some places to stay, things to do. Looked up a few and anyone have any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Looked at Lantana lodge and Aspen house. Anyone stayed at either of these? Would like a private room and clean place to reside for at least a few nights. Will be visiting for around 8 days. Not necessarily on a shoestring budget, but rather looking for a clean fun place to stay and meet some other people. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance--- :o)

by gufo

When in Auckland we stayed in the Auckland City YHA - (there are two yha's in Auckland - one 'city' and the other 'international')
We had a very comfortable and clean stay - prices reasonable too. People on the front desk are great for travel advice, and will happily help you make the most of your stay.

Have fun - its a great city : )

ps web address is: http://www.yha.org.nz/hostels-ind.asp?id=17

RE: RE: New Zealand, Auckland--next stop

by enjoyinglife

Thanks for the response gufo... I will check the yha out to see if that will work for me. :o)

by danielinnz

Probably wayyyy to late but x base backpackers is good. i have recommeneded it to a few people and all have been happy with it. cheers

daniel

by seabrightgrl

Try the backpackers in Devonport - very quiet and just a 10 min ferry to Auckland. Devonport is a charming alternative to busy Auckland, but easy to get to the night life from there.

by mcgucc

Hi
Thanks for the answers to to last question; it’s put my mind at rest. Does anyone know any good hotels/hostel in Auckland where I can stay while I get bearings in October?

by kiwi

Hi Colin,
without knowing much about you, you may be interested in Auckland City Backpackers.
I'll email you a link.
Pam.

Re: accommodation

by yuan_c

hi! I am not sure what kind of hotels/hotsels you r looking for, and locations as well. but if u wanna stay in a medium level hotel, kingsgate would be an option.
it is NZ 3 star. http://www.kingsgatehotels.co.nz/
there is one in parnell which is not far from auckland city.

good luck

Yuan

Re: Re: accommodation

by djramey

Well I just typed a huge info sheet for you and hit a wrong button and lost it all.

Quickly, I stayed at the Auckie City YHA. It was nice with nice 2-6 person rooms. It has two tv's for anyones use. Two lounges with big comfortable couches and chairs. Two internet computers (though they are expensive and you can find something cheaper in the city anywhere at anytime.) An outdoor patio for smokers with a decent view. The YHA is only 10 minutes from downtown Auckie and that is nice, an easy walk.

I do think that YHA is awfully expensive. My suggestion is to stay at this backpackers just a block away. We stayed there. The price I think was half as much as the YHA, and though it seems more like a hotel, you get your own toilet and shower and more comfortable bunks. It is seldom occupied as well so you will likely get your own room. I cannot think of the name but it's a block from the Auckland City YHA on Queen Street.

It's just off the road and is on the opposite side of the street as the road to the Auckie City YHA. They also have a travel center and a dinning room and bar.

I can give you better directions if you VT mail me. I would def stay here again if I came to Auckie. (Well I would maybe stay a night at Kiwi's if I had a chance... Pam :P)

Deryck

by kiwi

LOL, I don't live in central Auckland tho, hahaha.!!

Re: accommodation

by mcgucc

hi everyone
thanks for the tips

Travel Tips for Auckland

Sheepworld Farm & Nature Park

by keeweechic

Sheepworld is set on 30 acres of typical New Zealand countryside and is about 65kms north of Auckland. It was established in 1988 with an aim to present New Zealand rural life in an entertaining and educational way using a hands-on technique. There is a eco-discovery trail where you can meet the residents of the nature pond. You can also feed and learn more about the animals on the NZ farmyard and feed snacks to the animals too. Some of the favourites are calves, pgs, lambs, goats, donkeys, alpacas as well as possums, mini horses and lorikeets.

There is a coach that runs to Sheepworld which departs from 172 Quay Street (The Scenic Travel Centre) opposite the Ferry Terminal building. Departures are M-F 9.30am and Sat/Sun at 9.45am. Departures from Sheepworld occur M-F at 3.30pm and Sat/Sun 3.50pm. Enquiries can be made on (09) 278 8070 between 6.00am and 8.00pm daily.
Open 9-5pm daily (except Christmas day).

Location : State Hwy 1, north of Warkworth

From the airport

by salisbury3933

Unfortunately, Auckland airport is not yet connected with the city by rail, and will not be so for the foreseeable future, meaning that getting to and from the airport can mean getting caught up in Auckland's traffic.

There is a service known as the airbus, which is the cheapest way to get to the airport from the central city, and leaves from various points in the central city. There are also minivan shuttles that will take you from $20 plus.

The sooner they put a rail link in, the better.

Auckland Restaurants

by grkboiler about ...

Auckland is very ethnically diverse and offers a wide variety of restaurants from Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. There are also many cafes. If I was able to spend more time here, there were plenty of places I would have liked to try. In my opinion, Auckland has the best restaurants in New Zealand.

For very nice restaurants with harbour views, go to the waterfront. Most of these restaurants are expensive.

There are plenty of kebab shops all over town if you are looking for a quick bite to eat. There are a good number of Italian places, and of course plenty of seafood and sushi restaurants.

The website below will have a good list of Auckland restaurants for you to choose from with more details.

Victoria Park Market

by dimanche

this is a small market near the Skycity Hotel...it is characterized by the tall chimney you would see even before reaching it. we went there at christmas time so there was this little santa claus attempting to climb the chimney. there are quite a number of shops inside. it is quite a good place to get your souvenirs and the shopkeepers are all friendly and willing to help. :D

Comments