Glenora Estate

160 Nick Johnstone Dr. Church Bay R. D.1, Waiheke Island, Auckland, New Zealand

Good For No Data

More about Auckland

Auckland's BeachAuckland's Beach

Shirley's yummy Duck oh and the pork mince  beans!Shirley's yummy Duck oh and the pork mince beans!

Auckland DomainAuckland Domain

At the foot of the Auckland SkytowerAt the foot of the Auckland Skytower

by touraco

Good day. I will be travelling to Auckland around 20 Aug for business and wondering how's the weather and what kind of clothes should I be bringing?

by 2Cities1Love

August is the end of winter so it will still be quite cold.....average Max around 15 celcius. Would imagine some rain as well. If you are just staying in the city you shouldnt have to worry about snow. Some warm clothes will be needed.

Cheers
Col

by Kakapo2

For a start: Auckland does not get snow. But it can be chilly.

We were there just last weekend. It was mild and we did not need our anoraks and winter shoes. My hubby even walked around in sandals LOL

It can be chillier than that, and when it rains it can feel rather cold, and as rain often is combined with wind you can get rather wet. So a mid-length coat would be a rather good garment to take with you, and - as you are there for business - a pair of boots. Do not forget your umbrella!

It is really much milder up there than in the central North Island and in the South Island - but you cannot expect spring temperatures at all times.

by kiwi

I've lived in NZ all my life and I consider August to be the middle of winter. Summer is a LONG way off, believe me! Hope you brought some warm clothes. Tell us how you got on :-)

by touraco

Thanks. I had a good 4 days in Auckland although its pretty short a stay since Im there on business. I find the weather to be pretty alright. My co-workers told me its the most severe winter they had there in ages.

by kiwi

yeah it's been a rough one alright. Glad you survived, haha. But it's not as bad as some make out :-)

Travel Tips for Auckland

Golf anyone?

by worldkiwi

Auckland has a large number of private golf clubs and a few public golf courses. Chamberlain Park is near Western Springs and Auckland Zoo and just a few minutes from the city centre on the north-western motorway. The golf course is owned by the Auckland City Council. You can hire equipment here. A half set of golf clubs with a trundler costs NZ$18. You can get balls for about NZ$2.50 each. A cart will cost you NZ$30 for the round.
These were weekend prices in February 2005.
The green fees were NZ$25.

Auckland Islamic Centre

by keeweechic

The Ponsonby Mosque is an unusual sight for me in a street where I once went to school. It was built in 1980 and while not as grand as some, it still is an impressive building with its green roof.

Location : 17 Vermont Street, Ponsonby

Naval & Family Tavern

by keeweechic

The old Naval and Family Tavern has been in Karangahape Road for as long as I can remember. It is one of the oldest public houses in Auckland. Today though there it has a casino and rows of gaming machines. Mostly an older crowd still hangs out at this pub after work or on late night shopping. Still an old fashioned and friendly place to have a chin wag.

Open : 10am-late daily

Vibrant Mexican

by Kate-Me about Mexican Cafe

Great interior decor (as you can see) busy ambiance with latin music (much lounder and it would have been too loud).
Prices were around $20 for a main meal which was quite large. Lunch menu is cheaper, but we didn't realise that until we arrived and looked at the menu (the prices downstairs had had the 'lunch' part covered over, so the meals seemed cheaper at first glance than reality). If the meal had been average, we would have been upset at this, but as the food was delicious and filling, I wasn't too upset....but next time I'd opt for lunch.
I'd give this the best decorated Mexican Restaurant I've ever come across.....there was even a little shrine set into one wall, so I imagine it was quite typically Mexican in a lot of ways.
The bartender put on a bit of a show (a la Cocktails movie) as he mixed the drinks. This place has also won some food awards recently. We had burritos which were quite tasty. Free nacho chips and salsa on arrival while you're waiting for your meal was good too.

Eclectic Shops

by jlcurtis287

If you feel like browsing through thrift shops, check out K'Road (in the direction towards Ponsonby). There a bunch of arcades and side shops with interesting and trendy clothing. There are quite a few sex shops, highlighting the seedier side of Auckland.

Comments