Hyland House

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Auckland

Flying helicopter modelFlying helicopter model

A wonderful house in Devonport!A wonderful house in Devonport!

New Zealand Maritime MuseumNew Zealand Maritime Museum

Inside the restaurantInside the restaurant

Altitude apartment building.

Hi everyone,

I received some great advice from you all last time I posted. I am coming to Auckland for a week in Septemeber with my 12 year old daughter and have decided to stay in a serviced apartment in the city. I will be catching the link bus out to Ponsonby daily so am considering renting an apartment in the Altitude Building in Kingston St near the Sky Tower, the cost is $599nz for the week. Can anyone tell me if this is a good choice for location and safety? Or any other suggestions for a serviced apartment that would be around that price or better still cheaper but still in the city centre close to the bus?

I appreciate any help you can give.
Regards, Michele

by Kakapo2

It is as safe or unsafe as other apartment buildings in this area. I would not consider the area as risky. You are in the middle of Downtown, this is great if you want to explore the city and harbour, and are even close to trains at the Britomart.

The Altitude Buildings is infamous for its shoebox-sized apartments - but I think for a week this does not matter.

You could have a look at www.wotif.com

There are also many apartments listed, and you can get an idea how much they would cost. In general I would say the price you mentioned is quite good. I do not know the Altitude apartments in particular. My husband stayed in a serviced apartment in AKL over a long period, I can ask him in which one he stayed. Oaks, for example, have a good reputation. On wotif they are NZ$ 99 per night. The cheapest ones I see there are NZ$ 75 per night, for the Waldorf Bankside Apartments. I do not know these either - but you would only pay NZ$ 525 per week. The location is not bad regarding transportation to Ponsonby, but in general this area is darker and not a lot of people walking around there at night.

by mictm3

Thank you Sissi, you come to my aid once again! I will check Wotif, the booking sites I did check were either too expensive or else didn't go up as far as September for their bookings, I don't want to leave it too long to book something as the week I am after is the first week of school holidays in Australia which may affect the availability. Thanks again for your help.Regards, Micheel

by Kakapo2

On Wotif you can also only book two weeks ahead. But you could check out the apartments and contact them directly and ask for an acceptable price that compares to Wotif.

You do not have to be afraid that they are fully booked in September. When I travel in NZ at this time of the year I do not even book ahead in Queenstown. It only gets difficult if big sports events like Rugby World Cup take place - but this is only in 2011.

I understand that you do not want to leave it to the last minute, it is always good to know that everything is organised and safe. But tourism numbers are down, especially in the North Island, and September is far from being a peak season even if the Aussies have school holidays. Most will still head for the South Island, many for skiing.

by mictm3

Thank you, that helps a lot. I might do a bit more research now I know it's not that busy in September.
Cheers, Michele

Travel Tips for Auckland

Haka- all Blacks-

by irish147

The haka was part of the Maori warrior's conditioning for war and battle. There are many types of haka however some were specifically intended for battle. Today the haka is an aspect of the Maori culture of New Zealand that has become very much a national expression of New Zealand identity.

Waitakere Ranges

by leffe3

West of Auckland, approx 1 hour + drive, is 'The Piano' country. Remember the movie? Holly Hunter, Harvey Keitel, HH in all her Victorian finery playing the piano on the beach. I can hear the Michael Nyman soundtrack as I write.....-:)

See separate page for more details

Star Mart

by keeweechic

Star Marts are small convenience stores (somewhat like 7Eleven) which are scattered through the city and the country. They offer a variety of food and beverages to go, plus the normal day to day supplies and of course film. Some are open 24 hrs.

July Mid-Winter VT Meeting

by ATXtraveler about Waterfront Café

Sarah and I needed an excuse to come visit Auckland, and there was just such a reason when Kiwi decided to throw a mid-winter VT meeting. Her choice for the restaurant was the Waterfront Cafe, which is considered the most reasonably priced restaurant in a high price region of Auckland called the Viaduct Basin.

The evening was very exciting, especially meeting that many VT Kiwis in one place. Some even brought their mothers :)

For dinner, I had the lamb shanks which were very tasty, even without any mint jelly. I also got to enjoy several of the nice beers from the Monteith Brewery.

Top end of Queen st

by fishandchips about Top end of Queen street

At the top end of Queen before it goes over K rd & becomes Upper Queen st is a row of Asian restaurants serving a most authentic range of food. Of particular note are the Korean places serving a wide variety of local fare. My last visit here included walking up and down at least three times before picking the place whose banner is in the photo. I had a roast chicken dish and it was very good!!

Comments