Mercure Hotel Auckland

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Harbour view room for a good sleep

The location of this hotel is hard to top - a few steps from the waterfront, a few steps from Britomart, the transport centre, a few steps from Queen Street.

But you can also have a bad surprise if you do not stay in one of the upper storeys. These rooms are harbour view rooms - and that is what I had booked.

However, I found myself in a house wall view room on the fourth floor in first place, with the trains underneath shaking the building, not to mention the noise...

Lucky me I had the print of my reservation on me, so I immediately requested my relocation to a harbour view room. This was more to my taste, and not just for the view of the waterfront, the Ferry Buidling and the beautiful Britomart building but mainly for a lot less noise and next to no shaking. (Earthquake sufferers from Christchurch do not really appreciate it...)

In fact, it was even quite quiet.

The room was large, nicely decorated. Just one pet hate: It had an interconnecting door. How I hate this! You have to listen to the conversations next door, if you want or not. And sure, you would not do or say anything you do not want to share with your room neighbours either...

The bathroom was large as well, with those slightly dated wall-to-wall boards - which I love because you can store more bathroom accessories on them than you can carry.

I had a shower over the bathtub - which was fine for me. However, if you have problems with your legs and walking, make sure to request a room with easy-access shower.

Clearly a hotel I would happily stay at again, particularly at the great rate offered on Wotif - even during the week of the Rugby World Cup final. But I would not stay in a room at a lower level than harbour view. (Mine was on the 10th floor.)

Luggage storage after checkout was free, reception staff friendly but distanced, no locals.

Can't remember TV - but I had a really good sleep.

On photo 2 you see the view across the Ferry Building to Takapuna.

Photo 3 shows the room.

Photo 4 gives you an idea of the bathroom.

Directions: At the corner of Customs and Queen Street, next to Britomart transport centre. Airbus stop only 50 metres away.

• kiwi_goddess's Profile Photo

Location - Location - Location

This hotel screams location. Right in the heart of the CBD in Auckland city, it is handy to everything. Britomart is a 2 minute walk away if you are looking to catch a local bus or train. The ferry terminal and intercity bus stop is not more than 4 minutes walk away (at the end of Britomart). Directly across the street from the hotel entrance is a convenience store and internet cafe. Shopping and eateries are in abundance and all within a short walking distance starting from more or less right outside the hotel door. Pubs and night clubs are also all within walking distance and the viaduct hosts many good spots to party (approx. 5-7min walk away).

The hotel itself, is clean, tidy, and comfortable and serves its purpose. The rooms offer a mini bar, tea, a small variety of herbal teas, coffee, and hot chocolate. They also have an iron and ironing board, and hair dryer. There is a shower over a bath and ample mirrors (we all like to look good when we're going out on the town hahaha).

An important piece of information here, the hotel does have parking, but it costs. You must reserve your car park at the time of booking to be certain you secure parking and they charge $25-$30 per day. NOTE: if you are not planning on venturing away from the city, consider catching the shuttle if you are travelling from the airport as once at your hotel there is no need for a car due to everything being within walking distance. This will hopefully save you some $$ and if you are planning on travelling by car once leaving the city, hire it for when you are leaving this hotel.

The hotel also has room service, and a restaurant and bar which are located on the top floor.

My only qualm with this hotel is that the air conditioning didnt seem to work very well and the room heated up very quickly with no windows open. Upon opening the windows, discovered that the street noise down below made it difficult to sleep. Overall, from my own personal experience, great place to stay.

Get the best rates through either booking.com or ezibed.com
    Rates range from approx. US$70+

Excellent location to stay new years eve....which is when I stayed.

Unique Quality: One thing I really liked about this hotel was that not only was there a standard rubbish bin in the room, but also a recycling bin for all your cans, plastics, and glass bottles (keep new zealand clean and green!!).

Great place if you are travelling alone, as I was.

This hotel carries the Qualmark guarantee and is rated a 3 star plus.

Directions: Right in town, close to buses, trains, and ferry's.

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

Right in the heart of Downtown

We chose to stay at Mercure, Customs Street to avail ourselves of the special accommodation rates as well as the fact that it is located close to the transport hub of the city and is only a short walk from the harbour-side areas that would be the focus of our visit.
    We were more than happy with the standard of room supplied. Bed was big and comfortable. Airconditioning was just right. Double glazing keep the city noise at bay. Bathroom was very spic with all the usual amenities including hairdryer. Linen was changed daily. Security was good with free use of double keyed deposit boxes at reception in which we stowed passports etc.
    The restaurant on the top floor, Vertigo was a great place for evening dining and the bar, open from 11am, was a great place for a relaxing drink with a view both day and night.
    The staff at reception was very attentive.
    Would not hesitate to recommend the Hotel.

Unique Quality: For us, the Mercure was about location - location. We had an easy walk to the harbour front and the transport Centre next door provided information on all of the options available to convey oneself around Auckland City.

Directions: Central CBD one block from the harbour front.

• BurgerQueen's Profile Photo

Excellent location, but somewhat unsatisfactory

We stayed at the Mercure Hotel Auckland for a couple of nights upon our arrival to New Zealand.
    This hotel was the most expensive accomodation we paid for during our trip, and we found it not worth the money despite the very central location and the room view (our room was at the 7th floor, overlooking the harbour).
    We really got the impression that the hotel was not clean at all, from our room, to the bathroom, to the elevators and the common areas (hall, corridors...). We would have accapted this from a low cost hotel, not from such an expensive one!
    The staff were anywhere very friendly.

Unique Quality: Very central location, close to public transport.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Accor in Downtown

I did not get the opportunity to stay as a guest of the hotel, but we did spend some time in the hotel. It was a very nice location, and was easily within walking distance of the Viaduct Basin and other downtown attractions. The bar was in a nice place, with a great view, but was not really worth much else. I am sure you could get a good price here though, so I would definitely recommend it as a possible location to lay your head.

More about Mercure Hotel Auckland

Clean and Chic

by LBKesner about Mercure Hotel Auckland

Excellent, spotlessly clean hotel in Auckland. Great bed, decent tub, and cool gray and beige decor. I will stay here again when I return to New Zealand. Lovely restaurant with views of the city and water....

Mercure Hotel

by kinjalnz15 about Mercure Hotel Auckland

Very good all i needed was bed to sleep, about average when its comes to food .the price for the hotel was more expensive than staying in vegas.The noise from outside traffic mainly boy racers and fancy cars. Nice clean room i didnt spent much of time in the room.

Comments