Ritz Greenlane Motor Inn

More about Auckland

View from Bastion PointView from Bastion Point

Panorama on Auckland harbourPanorama on Auckland harbour

SkytowerSkytower

Going back in timeGoing back in time

Car hires

by rossjag

Hi! Will be driving Auckland-Waitomo-Taupo-Rotorua-Coromandel-Auckland and had been googling car hires. Anyone had any experience (good and bad) with Apex Car Rentals?

Thanks...

by AllOverRover

I used Apex in January and had no major dramas. Just a couple of little things:

They did take a little while to collect us from the airport (the pick up place is a 10 min drive down the road). Took about 30 mins because there was a mix-up (they thought they'd already picked us up).

I have to say that the car itself wasn't that great... (I think they just quoted that they would provide a vehicle between a range of x year and y year). I know that it is cheaper thanks to the fact that the fleet is slightly older, however I suspect this car was pushing the boundaries of the age limit.

All in all, I would consider using them again - after all, when you go budget, you tend to have to conceed on a couple of areas.

Enjoy your trip :)

Great info. Thanks! :)

We're looking forward to the trip. Holiday begins on 27 March.

by Kakapo2

Apex is well established but you get what you pay for.

You should also check out fast growing companies like Jucy etc.

I mostly end up with Ace Cars http://www.acerentalcars.co.nz/

Their fleet in Auckland is in very good condition.

by rossjag

Thanks Sissi. Thought of going with the tried and tested (Avis or Hertz!). Budget's sold out. Will give this a go :)

Re: Car hires (offer min free fm auckland to wellington)

by yolicorinto

hi,
I have to take back a private car to a friend of mine in Wellington. It will be available in Auckland since 8th april. I'd give you free to Wellington where you'd have to meet my friend.

Cheers
Yolanda

by Kakapo2

You should post this in a separate new post. As this thread is old and finished only the people who were involved in it (like me) will read it.

Travel Tips for Auckland

Lamb Shanks

by ATXtraveler

If you are headed to Auckland, I can not recommend any other meal before you have the Lamb Shanks. With all the fanfare of New Zealand Wool, and its farming culture it is almost sacrificial for you not to try the lamb shanks while you are here. On our evening meal with the rest of the mid-winter Auckland VT meeting crew, I tried the lambshanks and was not disappointed. I had it at Waterfront Cafe, where the friends were just as good as the shanks!

different Devonport

by vtveen

Off course Devonport is a ‘must see activity’ during your stay in Auckland. Easy accessible with the ferry from downtown Auckland (only 12 minutes). And off course you will stroll along the shops and café’s.

But make it an ‘off the beaten path’ activity by making a walking tour (get a map or brochure in the Visitor Centre next to the wharf).

At the end of Victoria Street climb on to Mt. Victoria and enjoy the lovely views on the skyline of Auckland. Continue on Church Street (perhaps visit Devonport Museum) and Albert Road and you will reach Cheltenham Beach. A lovely golden beach so close to downtown Auckland, it is almost incredible !!

Through the top of North Head and King Edward Parade you will return to the centre and the wharf and have seen a different Devonport.

Dress-Smart

by keeweechic

Dress-Smart is a complex of around 100 factory stores. You can find anything from Adidas, nike and Puma to Oroton and Mi Piaci. There are also several accessorie and cosmetic stores.

There is a free shuttle bus which operates from the city to Onehunga every week day. It will stop at some of the bigger hotels as well as nine other pick up points. Parking is free if you drive.

The complex is open 7 days a week from 10.00am to 5.00pm.

THE OTHER WAY TO EAT BURGER

by I-Believe-I-Can-Fly about The 'Real' Waterfront

We bought burgers and French fries at Wendy's in Queen Street. Took them along to the waterfront on the Waitemata harbor.

After walked around the harbor we felt starving. We settled down on one of the benches, munched our lunch under the sun while watched the world goes-by slowly. What could better than that? The best burger I had ever had!

The Tamaki Yacht Club

by keeweechic

The Tamaki Yacht Club is on the Auckland waterfront. Romfords within the yacht club has been a large catering and event venue for many many years… I will never forget my first hangover that resulted from a night at Romfords for a company Christmas party. The views of course from the club are spectacular over the harbour. Romfords has two function rooms which are always popular, both with great views.

Comments