The Quadrant

The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland
Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• briarlyn's Profile Photo

Affordable accomodation in good location

I have stayed here many times for business and have stayed in studios, suites and apartments. Aesthetically it is a nice place to stay as everything looks very clean and new, and the service is nice enough.

The breakfast and bar menus are nice, with a more choice than you would expect how small the bar / dining area is and you can also get a buffet breakfast (which offers less choice than most hotel buffets).

The only problem with The Quadrant is they try and market themselves as an eco friendly hotel, and their main action taken to achieve this seems to be to put very low wattage light bulbs in the rooms, making it very difficult if you need to catch up on paperwork etc in your room.

If you are travelling in summer, make sure you request a room with air conditioning as some rooms have it and others do not.

Also, don't plan on using the hotel gym that they advertise as having, it is very small, with little equipment of low quality and is always crowded. Plan instead on going for a walk or jog in the lovely park across the road.

Unique Quality: Eco hotel, much cheaper than some other similar accommodation nearby of similar quality. Close to Vector Arena.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Great place, great time - but no aircondition

To me, staying in Auckland is all about the location. Well, most. I would not stay in a dump at a great location.

The Quadrant is a modern hotel with a pleasant atmosphere, as it is not too huge to lose orientation. It is located on Waterloo Quadrant which is on the eastern side of Albert Park, and links Symonds and Princes Streets. From the hotel it is an easy walk down to Queen Street, past several nice breakfast cafés - if you do not want to take breakfast at the hotel.

If you are lucky you might enjoy the views of "a bustling harbour, a vibrant cityscape and picturesque gardens" from your room, as described on the hotel's website. We did not get any of these attractive views but of another high-rise building but we did not really bother as we really were only there to sleep and not for a romantic honeymoon. But we still enjoyed having a balcony.

The room itself (we had a studio apartment) was relatively small but modern, sleek, clean and had everything you needed, including a kitchenette, desk, wardrobe, TV, DVD player and free WiFi. I also liked the bathroom for its proper modern ceramic basin, not those cheap plastic sinks you get in so many places. Hubby loved the orange-aroma shampoo and lotions.

Also bigger apartments available, from one bedroom to executive suite to penthouse.

The Quad Kitchen serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We had a few drinks at the open-air bar before going out for dinner. They came with complementary heated nuts.

Obviously not only we enjoyed our stay but also quite a number of NZ celebrities. We saw quite a good number of signed photos, with the stars (mostly musicians/singers) praising the wonderful accommodation (close to Vector Arena).

The rates are very affordable, given the quality of the hotel and the great location. (We stayed there in March and paid about NZ$ 100 per night.) The one thing that shows the difference between a real high-quality hotel and this one is the lack of air condition which you will really appreciate a lot in a hot and humid Auckland summer's night. Instead you have a fan in the room.

Just another warning:
    If you want to sleep with the balcony door open for fresh air (if available in summer ;-))) you need earplugs. Without the traffic noise of the city might disturb your sleep. With the door closed the room is very quiet.

Photo 2 shows the interior of the studio apartment.

Photos 3 to 5 show various aspects of the bathroom.

More about The Quadrant

Beware of extra charges

by TripAdvisor Member KazWellington

I am in sales and travel a great deal. I booked into The Quadrant as their advertising looked impressive. I booked thorugh an online website for a 2 day stay. Their website states secure valet parking at NZ$25 per night, (most other places in Auckland CBD charge $20.00) or 'a public carpark or pay and display carparking is located next door if you wish to self park'. I was told there is no public carpark and the pay and display is on the street and is clearway from 4pm - 6pm and then from 6am in the morning, so had to pay the $25.00 valet parking. The rooms are extrememly small so I asked to have a 1 bedroom unit of which I paid the extra charges. The kitchen facilities are meagre and I had to buy a fry pan as they only had two pots, and a microwave neither suitable for cooking meat. The toaster blew the fuses each time I tried to use it, even trying different outlets. In the morning I put the "please make up my room" door hanger as I had a note on the toaster asking for it to be replaced. My bed was made and the toaster was changed by housekeeping, but nothing else had been done. My bathroom wasn't cleaned and the rubbish hadn't been cleared, but when I went to book out the next day I had a massive $45.00 Housekeeping charge added to my account! Granted my room charge stated 'housekeeping service additional' but $45.00 for them to change a toaster? This amount is not advised in any of their literature, either on line, in room or on their compendium CD and is not told to you when you book in. This astronomical price should be advised to all guests and also written on the door swinger so no one gets caught out as I was. After stating my concerns and numerous phone calls, I was granted a half price housekeeping charge of $22.50 + GST.
Very nice decor and surroundings but extremely small. I would possibly have looked at booking in again as I travel to Auckland monthly and they do have a good deal of 1 bedroom + valet parking which turns out to be around $18 00 less than what I did pay, but after the housekeeping fiasco, no way!

Great spot

by TripAdvisor Member ln914204

My husband and I booked a 3 day stay here on the hotel's website and got a great rate. We arrived after a long trip from Canada and were happy to discover the airport bus stop was right in front of the hotel and we were greeted by very friendly and helpful staff.

The room was clean with full kitchen facilities (even a dishwasher!), however it was a little small. The location is perfect, within walking distance to most major attractions, ajacent to the Auckland University and about a 10 min walk from a grocery store. We found this hotel to be a great option and we would certainly stay here again.

Great Location, Clean & Tidy Rooms But Beware of the Bathroom's Location!

by TripAdvisor Member chynna

I found the location of The Quadrant easy to find (for a non-Aucklander!), although it can be a little confusing finding the entrance when the Hyatt's driveway is right next door!

The room was clean, tidy, and welcoming. However, if you are sharing a room with a workmate (or someone who you don't know very well) be aware that one of you will have the bedroom which the other person (who has the sofa bed in the lounge) has to go through to get to the bathroom!!! Not very good planning here, and you will get to know your room-mate's toilet habits well by the end of your stay!

Having said that - I would recommend anyone to stay at The Quadrant in the future.

Ambiance doesn't make up for bad service

by TripAdvisor Member minto64

The Quadrant seems to be staffed by mostly inexperienced people, who have a poor understanding of customer service. The lobby appears hip and modern when you first enter the hotel, but the positive impression of the place ends there. The restaurant/cafe is quite small - a foreshadowing of the tiny rooms available. I had several issues with my parking access - the card would not work, and it would take up to 30 minutes for a staff member to recharge it. When I had left my keys with the hotel for a late night out, it took three staff members to locate the key, at one point, the front desk asking if I could 'stop by tomorrow morning.' Excuse me? I'm STAYING at the hotel. Perhaps this was a warning that I should spend my money on other hotels in the future. Amenities seem abundant at first - the bar actually has friendly staff and decent food, but the gym is sub-par, and the sauna was out of order 3 days in a row. All these problems seem to be mismanagement issues - making my stay very very uncomfortable.

All style, no substance

by TripAdvisor Member Hesperide

Very trendy looking hotel, but the public areas are actually very small and not very practical. It was their administration I had big problems with. They had overbooked the night I stayed, so I was moved into an apartment - all very well but it was down in the lift, across the carpark and down flights of stairs in a part of the building with no lift. Not so good with lots of baggage. I had booked and pre-paid on a website, but when I checked out they insisted I paid again. Even though I argued with them they told me I was wrong. It took several calls to the booking website to sort it out, and The Quadrant then even told them that they hadn't charged my card! They also told me that they had a special deal on taxis's to they airport, and I ended up paying more than they said.

They need to get their act together. Would not stay again, don't need the hassle.

great location

by TripAdvisor Member Shankliniow

We stayed at the Quadrant for a total of 11 nights during our tour of the North Island. We were always treated very well by the friendly, polite and efficiant staff. The rooms were comfortable and very clean. Aucklands many attractions were within walking distance and there were good public transport links to places forther afield. I would recommend a stay here to anyone but do look for special offers on the Web as it is more expensive to book in person.Lovely to be able to do some self catering but lots of good resturants nearby too. Monsoon poon and Bolliwood to name but two!

Hip but inhospitable

by TripAdvisor Member missyp00

The property puts a large emphasis on appearance (modern front desk decor, music videos play on flat screens in the elevators, "cool city vibe" permeates throughout), but service is poor. Front desk staff are young, unprofessional and unaccommodating. The long walk on the narrow walkway from the front desk to the elevators is inconvenient. The rooms are tidy self-contained apartments with full kitchens - however with two people in the room it got crowded and we were stepping on each other. I spent very little time in the room as I was in Auckland to attend a three-day seminar, however was glad to check out at the end of my stay. Very disappointing.

Great place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Mpeas

New, clean & trendy. The staff were very helpful, we had a large group in 2 apartments, ranging in age from 25 -60+ years old, everyone enjoyed their stay.

Beware that if you walk back from the central city the hill is very steep!

the quadrant

by TripAdvisor Member mteden

It's advertised as the most hippist accommodation in Auckalnd City... not sure why.

We stayed for approx 6 weeks. We chose a 2 bedroom apartment as we had a 2 yr old plus a baby on the way. We assumed (by the website details), there was more than enough space for the 3 of us.

We almost collapsed when we arrived and shown our apt after a very long journey from UK. With our luggage on the living area floor, we could hardly move it was so small. The 1 setee was ridiculously small especially for a 2 bedroom apt.

However, it was spotlessly clean, nice decor, with all mod cons. Although kitchen was small and the bathroom can only be described as tiny.

To say we booked an apt big enough for 4 adult's, I'm not sure how anyone could cope with the limited space.

It was serviced once a week but not to a particularly good standard.

The dining table was the most stupid design we had ever seen. It looked trendy but there was that many square shaped holes in it, even the crockery was unable to sit securely on it, never mind enjoy a nice meal at the table.

The staff were amenable and polite but I found the loud trendy music somewhat irritating.

The corridor leading from the reception to the lift's sempt pointless and as the corridor was so slim, more often than not, you had to wait for people to walk through the corridor before you could walk through it yourself. So, if you have lots of luggage, beware.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay but glad find accommodation elsewhere for the remainder of our time in Auckalnd.

Excellent end to our trip to NZ

by TripAdvisor Member coppertree

We booked on line and took advantage of the offers. Hotel conveniently located with full kitchen in room. Room very trendy and furnished with modern fittings. Bathroom a little small but perfectly useable.

Staff on reception helpful but did come across as young and inexperienced.

Carpark available but cheaper in hotel next door.

Would stay again.