83 Delamore Drive, PO Box 572, Waiheke Island, North Island, New Zealand

Stoney BatterStoney Batter

Toi Toi at OnetangiToi Toi at Onetangi

Shopping on Waiheke

by Duncan.Net

My Family and I will be traveling to New Zealand in July and one of the places we are going is Waiheke. The fact is we will be moving to NZ , and we are not sure where we will be settling. Waiheke could be the place. I was wondering if the shops are adequate in that there are clothing , food shops etc.

Re: Shopping on Waiheke

by smos

There is a lot of information on Waiheke on the info-nz.co.uk links page under travel info.

Re: Re: Shopping on Waiheke

by allikat

Waiheke has heaps going on there. And its only a half hour ferry ride into downtown Auckland for more major shopping.

Craic is right, Kiwis Waiheke page has a lot of info.

RE: Shopping on Waiheke

by margriet200

Yes - there's all sorts of shops there, and a supermarket. I don't think you'd NEED to leave the island as such if you didn't want to...
Either way, you're $NZ30 or something away from Auckland on the ferry (pp one way).

RE: RE: Shopping on Waiheke

by allikat

I would imagine its actually cheaper than that - I get the ferry via Waiheke into Auckland from Pine Harbour, and they put their prices up to match the bigger companies, and I pay $20 per person return. If you buy tickets in bulk (a week at a time or more) the price comes down even further.

RE: Shopping on Waiheke

by Waiheke

There are most things you need on Waiheke, a reasonable supermarket which has the same prices as the mainland but does run out of things at times during the busy season. A small department store that stocks appliances, furniture, curtains, TV's dvd's etc. Another enectrical and furniture shop that also sells carpets. A stand alone carpet retailer, specialist electrical store, a couple of garden / hardware stores. Also doctore, dentists,physio etc....

In fact there is everything you need for day to day living. If you need clothes, apart from the normal dress code on Waiheke of beachware and sandles, Auckland is onlt 35 minutes away.
The ferry prices as of today are:
Adult Return: $26.00
Adult 10 Trip $105.00
40 Ride Flexipass $340.00
And if you plan to be a commuter a Monthly Pass unlimited use is $260.00

More info about Waiheke at www.gotowaiheke.co.nz

Travel Tips for Waiheke Island

Stoney Batter - history and walks

by kiwigal_1

The rock formations on Stony Batter are large andesite boulders deposited as a result of volcanic activity 8 million years ago probably from the Waitakere volcano that ran down underwater slopes as a lahar and settled out in isolated sites of the ancient sunken Waitemata basin. The boulders might have got their shape through weathering by water getting into the cracks over hundreds of thousands of years and breaking and rounding them. Most likely the boulders are smooth and round because they came from a lahar. A lahar is a raging river of mud, melted snow, and ice that flows down the unstable steep slopes of a volcano usually in direct response to heavy rainfall. The rolling and turning in this rapid downward flow smoothes the edges of the rock.

You can get here by car only. There are a few walks around the area - check with the local i-site for a brochure on Waiheke walks.

Waiheke Island (off the coast of Auckland)

by jaycee1401

"Waiheke Island - Onetangi Beach"

Above picture of me and a mate in Onetangi beach fishing at sunset. This island is so relaxing and extremely friendly people. I loved it.

Waiheke Island was a much needed find for me. I was in Auckland at the time and can honestly say it was the worst city of my travels. I met some good people but it seemed as though every English backpacker in the world was there, not what I was looking for, so I got up at 5am one morning, packed my backpack and headed to the harbour. I jumped on a ferry to Waiheke which is about 45 minutes away from Auckland. I stayed at the islands only hostel which made me feel right at home. The beach is stunning and clean with built in BBQ in the central area. I safely hitchhiked around the island in a few hours, strangers greeting you in the street with a smile or a good day, could of stayed there forever. The island was so peaceful, almost untouched by the busy city 45 minutes away, I loved it.

Comments