31 Maranui Street, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand

Booking.com Priceline.com Agoda.com

Satisfaction Poor

• The most sullen, rudest & unpleasant owners ever

We had booked (in October 2012) for 5 nights over the peak summer period (early January 2013), We were NOT greeted with the expected friendly hello, but instead we had a scrap of paper thrust in front of us, and told "Fill this out".

She took us downstairs to the road front unit, and lead us into the room. There was a garden area with table and chairs for sitting outside, and a bbq (that incidentally had never been used as it looked brand new). Comments were made that the room has 'hush glass' and you just need to keep the door closed to keep the traffic noise out. (When it came to sitting outside at the table and chairs, you may as well have sat on a chair on the Motorway for the noise and fumes levels would be the same.) There was no air conditioning, and no fans, and we are in the beginning of January with 25-30 degree temperatures, and we are told to keep the doors and windows closed because of how noisy it was.

Not happy, and not offered any alternative, despite having vacancies, we decided to persevere with our stay (we had little choice) and enjoy the local area and beaches. The first night my wife (who gets terrible asthma) was up all night coughing from all the dust in the unit, and even I could smell the dust.

After the first day following cleaning, we found the cleaners had left all our windows open all day, and a garden irrigation system was watering their garden and water was pouring in the main bedroom window saturating the bed, and the carpet. We requested them not to leave windows open again for our security peace of mind (that lasted a couple of days- the last two night, they left the windows open again) 0/10 Following customer reasonable requests.

Other issues that made the stay very unpleasant:
    * No Skymovies channel, and no DVD player. We asked for one and were handed one with 3 x DVDs (all very old movies we'd seen)
    * Asked if someone could connect it up
    * Mr Owner came down and proceeded to try and hook it up. I asked casually about the noise when sitting outside which both owners claimed wasnt noisy, and he had a massive paddy, and stormed out of the room without having connected anything, accusing me of having a bad attitude, simply because I asked him about the traffic noise.
    * I then went back to reception asking that we the have DVD connected. Her response was he'll think about it. Half an hour later he came back down and connected it. Nothing was said.
    * Cockroaches found in the main bedroom
    * Cobwebs in the bathroom
    * Shower drain blocked when daughter was having shower, and caused flood in hallway and second bedroom.
    * Mouldy shower curtain
    * Slippery bathroom floor when wet.
    * Empty gas bottle on bbq. I think we were the first to try and use it, as it stunk of plastic.

Unique Quality: * Noisy units (This is on the main through road connecting Mt Maunganui and Papamoa)
    * Dirty, dusty cobweb laden, and cockroaches
    * Rude obnoxious owners, who treated us like we were a problem rather than a valuable paying customer
    * The place is on the market for sale, and I'm assuming they've had a gutsfull of moteliering. They certainly need to know what providing good customer service means, because for us they scored a 0/10 on that front

Directions: Go to Mt Maunganui, and book in anywhere but here, (unless of course you like to spoken to rudely and as if you have no value)

• Great accom, but slack customer relations....

Absolutely fantastic room, almost like new, and very comfy. I would've recommended this place to all my friends BUT.....

On my 2nd day there, I popped back early afternoon and discovered that sure the room had been 'serviced' - but not how i would define 'service'. My clothes that I had laying on the bed had been thrown down on the floor - amongst all the dead moths (which were there when I arrived the day beforehand) - and given that I had made the bed neatly anyhow, I didnt understand why this had to be touched. I was staying another night still, and had arranged the pillows as I wanted them, per my choice! NOT messy. They had also given a pile of new linen for the kitchen, but still not taken the ones I had used... so I didn't see the point of that.

So I went in to the office and spoke to the woman, who defended the manner in which my belongings, and room had been dealt with as if it was ok! I mean, I was the one PAYING big dollars to stay there - and for no respect, I felt that was despicable! I didn't rant and rave or swear, I calmly yet assertively made my anger known. Lucky she was saved by the ringing phone.

Then the next morning after I had packed up my car, I went into the office to pay (in a much pleasanter mood due to the nice shower and the sun!), yet she just put the invoice and the eftpos receipt on the counter! It had been charged in total to my cr card - 30 mins after my visit to the office the previous day! And with no authorisation from me! On the phone when I booked I was told that them taking my cr card number didnt mean that any money would be charged unless I didnt turn up there. She even said in that same phone call, that I could pay by eftpos if I wanted when I was there. Did I even GET that chance????

So in a touristy place such as The Mount, is this any way to treat customers??? I was horrified. Good luck to anyone who stays there - cross your fingers you deal with the guy, he was great.

Unique Quality: I heard some of the rooms have sea views, but I was on the very noisy road side.

Comments