23 Maunganui Rd, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand

Satisfaction Average

More about Mount Maunganui

View from the SummitView from the Summit

part of the narrow trailpart of the narrow trail

spectacular views from the top!spectacular views from the top!

wowwow

by lbeck

Sorry to double-post. I posted this on the NZ site before I found that there is a site for Mount Maunganui.

My wife and I will be on a Princess Cruise to NZ, along with 4 other couples. We have a friend who spent her teen years in Tauranga, NZ and she said that we shouldn't miss Mount Maunganui. We were looking for a short (1-3 mile) hike and she thinks that is doable. I Googled Mount Maunganui and I think she is talking about the mountain in the Manao (sp?) reserve.

Princess doesn't have an excursion there, but we'll be a full say in Tauranga and I'm thinking of booking a trip there. Do any of you know anything about where the boat will dock and what kind of local transportation is available (tour buses etc.) that could take us from the ship to the Manao (sp?) reserve?

by kiwi

The ship port is at Mount Maunganui (town) and is also walking distance from the mountain (Manao - also known as Mt Maunganui). It is unmistakeable so when you get off the boat, just head for the mountain. You can either walk thru the town (middle of the peninsular) or along the beach. As you can see on GoogleEarth, MtMaunganui mountain is at the end of an isthmus/peninsular.
It's a nice walk, you will have plenty of time to explore both the small town and the mountain. One side of the isthmus is ocean/wave beach and the other side is harbour so calmwater beach.
Some cruiseship members take a tour to Rotorua to see the Maori culture and volcanic areas, but that would take the day and I doubt you can fit in both Rotorua and Mt Maunganui walk.

by kiwi

You can find good information and photos (remember often there are 4 or 5 pics loaded on each tip so click on a photo and you may see them all) here on VT:

Just to reiterate that The Port of Tauranga cruiseship wharf, is not at Tauranga city but at Mt Maunganui.

Right where you exit the gated port, on foot, you should come out onto Salisbury Avenue. If you head along there a little way, (away from the beach) you will find a small Information office, where you can get a map both of Mt Maunganui town and of the mountain.
The mountain has options, you can go to the summit or just walk around the base, along the coast (this is an old volcano almost completely surrounded by sea).
There are good images of the mountain and views on the TravelGuide page here on VT.(url quoted above).
Enjoy your visit, it's a nice place :-))

by allikat

Friends of mine did exactly that off a Princess cruise a month or so back, and really enjoyed their day. Stunning views from the top, and it gives you a bit of a kick to know you're on top of an extinct volcano.

There are also some hot pools not far from the base of the mountain that you might want to check out, and the town has a great atmosphere with lots of cafes, bars etc.

Kiwi, above, and I climbed the Mount together a while back, so you can see some of the photos on our pages if you like.

by lbeck

Great Responses Kiwi and Allikat!

That seals it. We're definately doing the hike, weather permitting.

We're not as young as you guys, but reasonably fit. You can see some pics of recent hikes up a local mountain (Sharp Top) that seems to be about the same size as Mount Maunganui by visiting our blog at:

at the October 19, 2007 post.

The only remaining question is weather to take local transportation to Mount Maunganui or to walk there from the boat dock. I know that Kiwi said that it is walking distance and the walk would be interesting going through town. Do you know the approximate distance from ship to trailhead (bottom of Mount Maunganui)? If it's more than a couple of miles we may decide to take transportation to the mount and save our energy for the climb. We always can walk through town to get back if we have the time and stamina. We can make these decisions after arriving but it will help to start mental preparation now.

Thanks again for the info. I have gone through some of the pictures and plan to resume later. Great responses!

by allikat

Personally I'd walk, and my friends (a retired but fit couple) also walked from ship to mount. But see how you feel on the day - you can always call a cab from the boat if you decide it looks too far.

I hope you do strike good weather :-)

Thanks, Allikat.

I got on Google Earth and saw the short distance from dock-to-mount. We'll definitely walk the distance if we do the hike, which depends on the weather. I looked at all of the VT pictures and none of the showed it raining so maybe it's always sunny on Mount Maunganui ;)

by Kerikiwi

On the way back from 'The Mount' you could walk along the ocean beach and take a short walk out to the blowhole

by allikat

Fingers crossed that you get to post some sunny pictures from the summit of your own :-)

by kiwi

You can do it all if you have the whole day. Walk the harbour side, the ocean side, climb the mountain and check out the town. Yes they get fairly good weather, most of the time. But of course this is New Zealand where rain is a common occurrence :-))

by kiwi

OK I did some local homework :-) Distance from the Dock/Wharf gate to to the base of the mountain is 900m so depending on where on the wharf the boat is docked, say 1km. Very close :-))

Travel Tips for Mount Maunganui

A port for all types.

by kiwi

Mount Maunganui has a multi purpose port, catering for cruise ships, and cargo ships as well as a very nice marina for sailboats and launches. Nice restaurants at the marina as well, with interesting people rambling around.
The Marina is not really walking distance from the central part of town, although it is closer to a mall, "Bayfair", than the Port is. I particularly love the ocean feel of Mount Maunganui, and the smell of the sea, and the exuberance of most of the inhabitants.

Surf and sand

by kiwi

Mount Maunganui has both harbour beaches and Surf/Ocean beaches. Here you see the ocean beach, which can produce some nice waves for the surfers in certain conditions.
So many options here, climb the Mount, walk around it's base at sea level, walk the surf beach, walk the shops and caf├ęs, go boating on the harbour. The way the beach runs right up to the town, making everything so accessible and compact. However in peak times, especially New Year's Eve, this place gets pretty full with people.

The old and the New

by kiwi

This community has been a favourite holiday spot for varying New Zealanders, for years. Many families owned holiday cottages here in prime spots. This is one of the last examples of these, set right at the base of the Mount between the harbour and the ocean. Slowly the family ownership has moved to commercial as the big money has been offered.
Right next to this cottage, known as a Bach in NZ, is the stretch of modern apartments shown in the second photo. Of course the apartments make this spot available to more people, but once gone, the family baches will be merely a memory.
Naturally this is a common situation around the world at popular beachside towns. One restriction here is being an isthmus means that room is limited. It also means though, that during busy festive periods it is very congested and now has strict alcohol restriction. I remember visiting this town and camping as a child on friends front lawns. Those places are now where the modern apartments are built so modern generations will never have this experience.

Great View from the Summit

by kiwi

The Summit of Mt Maunganui is a great place for 360deg views. On a clear day you can see forever. Northwest towards Coromandel, SE towards Whakatane and East Cape, West towards the Kaimai Range and East towards South America and Chile!! This photo shows the view towards the West, showing the forest covered Matakana Island, the smaller Rangiwaea Island and across Tauranga Harbour and the mainland to the Kaimai Range on the horizon.
***Click on the photo to see more views from the summit.***

Climbing Mount Maunganui

by riley-the-mountie

Climbing Mount Maunganui is a fantastic experiance which will take you around 30 minutes to reach the summit. The tracks are wide and user friendly, please be sure to keep left when climbing or decending. Enjoy a picnic at the top (picnic tables are on the summit) or keep strolling down. I reccomend taking the track that is labled 'hard' over the moderate track, it is not at all harder.

Comments