Astray

Astray
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Rotorua

Mud poolMud pool

Maori show: 38% of the population are Maori.Maori show: 38% of the population are Maori.

MeMe

Poi DancingPoi Dancing

Looking for relatives

by pjdubai

Hi all

I'm trying to track down Joan or Louise Farquhar who used to run the Waiotapu Wonderlands 20 years ago. Joan is Louise's mother.

If anyone knows of their whereabouts I would be grateful for contact details.

Regards

pj

RE: Looking for relatives

by northeast80

Here's all the Farquhars in NZ.
I don't know where the Waiotapu Wonderlands are so maybe you could do a more refined search.
Have you tried contacting the current owners?-
Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland
PO BOX 1992, Rotorua, New Zealand
Ph +64 7 366 6333
Fax +64 7 366 6010
Email: waiotapu@geyserland.co.nz
Good luck

RE: RE: Looking for relatives

by northeast80

Kind of contradicted myself there by saying I didn't know where they were then printed the address. I wish you could edit replies sometimes.

RE: RE: Looking for relatives

by pjdubai

Thanks so much for that....I appreciate the help. I know what you mean about editing things.....I really embarass myself sometimes with that.

Re: Looking for relatives

by stlulu11

Hi

Iam louise farquhar Joans daughter i know its been a while since you posted your question how can I help ?

louise farquhar

Re: Looking for relatives

by northeast80

Wow! Hi Louise, how serendipitous that you found this thread! Great stuff.

Unfortunately that member last logged in on the 10th Nov 2009. Perhaps they'll be back, maybe you could contact VT to get their private email address, I'm not sure whether they would or not......

Travel Tips for Rotorua

Rotorua

by dragontml

is situated on a volcanic rift and the ensuing geothermal activity - together with lush forests, crystal - clear lakes and green pastures - has ensured a steady steam of tourists since Victorian times.

City of Auckland, continued

by b1bob

All good things have to come to and end. The wake-up call came at 5.30. At that time, after 4 hours of sleep, mumbling expletives under my breath, cussing the dipsticks at the desk who don't now how to cancel a simple wake-up call. I found out later that Mr. Rath's wake-up call was to be at 6.30, so it was Maria who "out-Rathed" Mr. Rath. Breakfast in the dining room was a real feast in the form of a buffet. There were all styles of eggs, bacon, all kinds of fruits (with juice from each one), all manner of cereals, coffee, tea, and milk. I was a glutton that Sunday morning, 7 July. I ate and drank a little of everything (except for milk which I am allergic). On waiting for the coach, I noticed that some lug nut left the door open when it was cold- some 35°F (2°C) that winter's morning.

We got on the bus by 7.00. We passed through downtown Auckland on the way to the countryside, stopping at a volcanic crater in the downtown area to take photos. It bumfuzzled me that our itinerary did not include more time in Auckland.

GONDOLA RIDE & LUGE

by I-Believe-I-Can-Fly

About 5 minute drove from city center, we arrived in the gondola base. We took the gondola ride uphill, it offered a spectacular view of the town. I prefered Rotorua's gondola ride rather than the one in Queenstown. It offers more scenic ride.

There are a restaurant and gift shop up there.

They put a sky swing--a 150 foot high tower in the middle of the site. We heard people screamed up there. God, those people must try to suicide!

As for a less-adventurous peole like myself, I rode luge for about 5km track and catched the ski-chair up. Pretty nice experience!

Fun and Interesting

by jag17

If you get the chance, you should check out the Tamaki Maori Village. The fun begins the minute the painted bus comes to pick you up from your hotel. Horn honking, singing, and laughter while you travel to the village (you should know/practice your national anthem/country song because you will be expected to sing)! You will be delivered to the grounds where they will explain the rules of entering the sacred village, and someone (a male guest) will be selected to perform in the entrance ceremony. After the chief allows you to enter, you will have plenty of time to wander around the many demonstrations displaying the Maori culture before heading off to the concert, and tradional Maori Hangi. Enjoy dinner, and a stroll around the craft stores before the bus delivers you safe and sound back to your hotel. More honking, singing, etc! Even though you will enjoy many laughs, this is a cultural event and very interesting.

Hours and Admissions for Whakarewarewa + Te Puia

by Kakapo2

Whakarewarewa - The Thermal Village

Open 8.30am-5pm, 12 guided tours from 9am, Maori shows 11.15am and 2pm, admission $23/children 11.50 (includes all this).
Hangi (meals) 12noon-2.30pm, $50/26.50; hangi taster only $15, full hangi $30; interactive package (you prepare your hangi, make a food basket from flax etc.) $60/39.

Contact:
Whakarewarewa Thermal Village
9a Tukiterangi Street
Whakarewarewa Village, Rotorua
Freephone (0800) 924 426, Tel. (07) 349 3463
Website: www.whakarewarewa.com
E:Mail: info@whakarewarewa.com

Te Puia

Open 8am-6pm (in summer), guided tours hourly 9am-4pm, concert at 12.15pm and 3.15pm, admission NZ$28/children 14 includes all this.
Song, dance and feast 6.15pm (lasts 3 hrs) - NZ$85/50.
Combo of Admission and evening show $101/57.50.

Contact: