301 Fenton Street, Rotorua, North Island, 3010, New Zealand

Booking.com Priceline.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

• Used to be great NOT NOW

I recently stayed here as it was always my home from home travelling thru the North Island so decided to take the family, I was horrified to see how it had gone downhill, I stayed here in 2010 and it was impeccable everything was perfect, so were the hosts at that time. This time was a mess, new managers, a motel not being maintained or managed. I would not recommend, a bus load of asian tourists arrived and the noise was excessive, cleaning was not up to NZ standard.

• Awful Manager

Over the years we have stayed here many times, the last in October being the last, the manager David is awful our stay last year was excellent, the lack of regular maintenance is apparent, the spa pool walls were covered in brown stains which looked horrible, he said the landlord didnt want to spend any money on it. disgraceful. It certainly does not have the ambience or friendliness it used to have a year ago and I will never go back

Unique Quality: spa pool area was grubby including the structural walls, overall tired and not maintained

• Wont go back

Have stayed here on a few occasions the last couple of years and enjoyed my stay. I was not happy on my recent visit in March, the standard was not up to scratch, I found out after arriving it had new managers in who advertise it with a 4 star rating, it is not, although the previous owners had that. I will not go back the selection is big in Rotorua.

• Very Nice Motel

Our stay was very nice indeed, we spent 4 nights here and it was excellent accommodation which we could not fault. The room was lovely and clean had some ambience about it. The free internet was a bonus as was the spa pool after walking around all day sightseeing. Highly recommend to have a look if you are in Rotorua, the location was ideal, staff were very nice too

Unique Quality: Nicely decorated and comfortable bedding, Spa Pool in its own courtyard off the room was nice, the free internet,

Directions: only short walk into the town

• PhoenixW's Profile Photo

Infested with fleas - Stay well clear!

On Friday 15th January, we contacted the Baden Lodge Motel, Rotorua to enquire about accommodation for the night. We had spent the previous three nights in Turangi and were looking forward to spending a further night in Rotorua to break up our trip back to Auckland.

We stayed in the Baden Lodge Motel last year and had a good experience there - which is why we chose to contact them again. We were advised that a room was available for the night, but as the room had only two Queen beds, our 5 year old son would need to share with us.

Upon arrival at Baden Lodge Motel, I was met by the lady owner and given the key to Room 5 and completed our details on the check in card as requested. Noting the sign which asked that accounts be settled upon check-in, I asked if she would like me to pay now, but was told that payment on checkout would be fine. The lady also said that she had a spare fold-out bed which we could use for our son, which she would bring over later.

I opened the room, looked around and helped my fiancé and parents (who are visiting from England) to unload the car.

We were tired after the drive and all lay down for 45 minutes or so. There were 3 or 4 mosquitoes on the high ceiling upstairs and noted I would need to get some Raid to kill them before we went to bed.

After we all got up from our rest to drive into town, I realised that since arriving I had received a couple of insect bites inside my jeans. As we walked around the supermarket, I was receiving increasing numbers of bites around my bottom and hips and it became apparent that I must have a flea repeatedly biting me inside my cropped jeans.

I bought a can of Raid at the supermarket and used this to kill the mosquitoes in the upper bedroom, and to spray the inside of my jeans.

By morning I had received an enormous number of flea bites, all over my body and was suffering tremendously from the itching. I went to speak with the lady at reception, in tears because I was so upset by the discomfort and from having been bitten so extensively by fleas whilst staying in the motel.

It was already apparent that there had been an animal (or animals) in the room, as I had noticed that there was animal hair on the carpets throughout the rooms. (My son had brought me a plaster which we put on his foot in the room, which came off soon after while he was playing with his cars on the floor - and which I noticed was covered in animal hair).

When I mentioned that there must have been animals in the room, the owner admitted that she has a cat but that it isn't allowed in the rooms. She suggested that there had been a guide dog staying in the room as an explanation for where the fur had come from.

There was very little sympathy, despite my obvious distress and I returned to the room to try and treat my bites.

My distress and need to treat the bites meant that it took longer to pack up our belongings and at 10.30am we received a phone call from the male owner asking if we would be paying to stay an extra night. My father took the call and said that someone would come across to speak with him.

I went to reception and spoke with the man and asked him if he was aware of the problems which we had experienced. He said that he was not, and so I explained to him that I had received a large number of flea bites whilst staying in Room 5. In fact, my fiancé, mother and father also received a couple of flea bites each, but I was by far the worst affected. The owner's attitude was very unpleasant and I was met with a sneering and derisive demeanour - to the extent that I asked the owner if he felt that I was lying to him, as it seemed that he was laughing at me.

The owner was more concerned with telling me that no one else had ever complained, than with addressing my problems. He even went as far as to pull out a note from the bin which had been scribbled on a napkin, thanking them for the nice breakfast. They also seemed far more interested in identifying the origin of the fur on the carpets (allegedly from the guide dog) than with the fact that there were fleas in the room and that we had been bitten. I explained that whilst the rooms' carpets were not up to the expected standard of cleanliness, it was not the fur in the rooms which was my main concern. When the owners denied the carpets were dirty, I showed them samples which my fiancé had lifted from the main areas of the upstairs bedroom using clear sticky tape, which included large amounts of dirt, insect parts and fur. The lady suggested that perhaps I had just created these and I immediately offered to return to the room with her and to take further samples in her presence, which she was not prepared to do.

In fact, when she had earlier been in the property with my fiancé and he showed her in person that there was cats' hairs and dirt on the carpets throughout, she denied what she was looking at and claimed that it was simply fibres from the carpet. He then actually lifted bundles of dust clumps and hairs from the carpet in her presence to show her that it was indeed cat fur and that the carpets were dirty.

The man told me that Qualmark had inspected the property two and a half weeks ago and had ‘turned the place upside down’. I find this very difficult to believe, as the amount of dirt and accumulated fluff and hair on the carpet would have taken longer than this to build up – particularly around the beds and edges of the rooms. Either Qualmark didn’t inspect that particular room, or the inspection took place some time ago – as I do not believe that this would have been missed by their inspectors.

Furthermore, it is not possible that the amount of fur in the room was from the stay of one guide dog (if indeed this story is true) and I suspect it is far more likely to originate from the owner’s cat, which we saw sunbathing on the roof outside the window of room 5, and which could easily access the room at will, if the window was open.

I mentioned that I was not happy to pay full price for accommodation in which I had received extensive flea bites. I also explained that I was not trying to cause trouble and that I would prefer to resolve the situation amicably.

The owners were not prepared to discuss anything other than payment in full for the room - which simply wasn't acceptable to me. I suggested that the owners might like to call the police then and there if they felt it appropriate, and that we could resolve the matter in their presence. The man initially seemed to consider this, but decided against calling them.

He said that they would have to get the flea situation investigated and that if anything was found we could then talk further. I then made the suggestion that he could advise me which pest-control company he was going call, so that we could both be kept abreast of the results of their findings. At this point the lady interjected and said that she was not prepared to do that.

Despite making numerous suggestions of how we could proceed and remaining calm and polite, the owners were unhelpful, rude and unsympathetic towards me. Before we were able to reach a resolution, the lady suddenly lost her temper and became very aggressive, shouting loudly at me and ordering us to leave the property immediately - which we did.

In total I have received 47 flea bites on my body – each one of which is intensely itchy and painful. 15 of these are on my right hand and wrist, 28 are around my thighs, inner thighs and bottom, 1 on my left ear, 1 on my right arm and two on my neck. I showed the bites on my hands and neck to the owners of the Baden Lodge Motel at the time of making my complaint.

I attach photos of just some of my flea bites, the dirt on the carpets and the samples taken from the carpets with sticky tape.

Subsequent to leaving the Baden Lodge Motel, I have received three derogatory and unpleasant messages from two individuals regarding the incident, sent to my personal Facebook account – which I believe have come from the owners of the motel and which no doubt could be traced to their computer. I have not responded to the messages.

We were asked to leave the property before an agreement could be made regarding payment and were not prepared to pay in full for accommodation which was not to the advertised standard. In accordance with the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 relating to the provision of services, we are within our rights to refuse payment for services which are not fit for purpose. In this case, the room which we booked was not fit for purpose (ie habitation) due to infestation with fleas, and was not as advertised, with the carpets being unclean throughout. Consequently, we ensured that payment could not be taken from the credit card details which we had provided. My fiancé has received a voicemail from the lady at Baden Park Lodge advising us that they have contacted the police regarding the matter, and stating that “leaving because of the flea bites was pathetic”.

I take this as an admission that I was bitten by an infestation of fleas in their motel – but we left the property because we were told to, and before an agreement could be reached. Baden Park Lodge have our contact details and we are prepared to see this through at a disputes tribunal or a court of law, as they see fit. I am capable of providing glowing references from a number of properties which we have stayed at in the past few weeks – all of which have provided excellent accommodation and who would, I’m sure, be more than happy to vouch for us as reliable and honest guests.

Unique Quality: Flea infested.

Directions: Fenton Street.