3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 12% higher than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Rotorua

GlowwormsGlowworms

Whitebait fritter entreeWhitebait fritter entree

Pre-eruption - Chuck the soap in!Pre-eruption - Chuck the soap in!

Mummy pig and her pigletsMummy pig and her piglets

Wai-o-Tapu or Waimangu Volcanic Valley

by uktxgirl

My husband and I will have one day and two nights in Rotorua and would like to know which option would be most worthwhile. We've never been anywhere with geothermal activity, volcanic lakes etc. and we love to walk/hike. We're not so keen on very touristy attractions. I think we might be leaning toward the Waimangu Volcanic Valley, but we're open to any recommendations. Also, is it possible to pay one entrance fee and do all the hikes/walks in the Waimungu Valley, or are they all separate?

by earthflyer

It's been 10 years since I was last in New Zealand.

One of the highlights of my trip there was hiking up Mt Tarawera, somewhere near Rotorua. That is a good day hike with excellent views all round and you can scree down into the extinct Volcano.

by Kakapo2

Wai-o-tapu would be my number one place, then Orakei Korako (closer to Taupo), then Waimangu. All places are stunning. Wai-o-tapu is my favourite because it is the most colourful geothermal site and has more specific features, including an impressive geyser, and, as said, all colours you can imagine. Waimangu is a bigger area, and they have boating and whatsoever which you do not have at Wai-o-tapu, but to me it cannot outclass Wai-o-tapu.

Both places you suggested are fantastic, and whichever you choose, you will be delighted, I am sure. They are different but magnificent. However, they are both touristy, of course, you cannot avoid that.

Wai-o-tapu is an ancient site, whereas Waimangu has only been created as recently as a bit more than one hundred years ago.

Once you pay the entry fee at Waimangu you can do all walks in the valley.

What amazes me is - as I have just had a look at their website - where they hide their entry fees.

Mt. Tarawera that was suggested earlier is only accessible on guided tours whereas you can visit Wai-o-tapu and Waimangu at your own pace. (Waimangu BTW was only created by the eruption of Mt Tarawera in 1886.)

If you have time you should also go to the Buried Village, it is in the same area as Waimangu and Wai-o-tapu (which themselves are only a few kilometres apart). The Buried Village was buried by the Mt. Tarawera eruption. A sad history but very impressive.

by earthflyer

Never had a guided tour on mount Tarawera, just a few of us hike up to the top and was a well trodden trail, but this was 10 years ago maybe things have change since then.

by Kakapo2

That is it. Full control of Mt. Tarawera was given to Maori already several years ago, and they do not allow anybody there who does not pay for it.

by Travelholic123

I would also like to suggest Te Puia.

Website: http://www.tepuia.com/

The thermal valley including the world famous Pohutu geyser, mud pools and boiling water are amazing.

There are over 500 pools and 65 geyser vents, and also the opportunity to see kiwi birds or experience a Maori Cultural Performance.

Travel Tips for Rotorua

Getting to Rotorua

by b1bob

It took two hours and a half to get from "Hooterville Down Under" to Rotorua, a majority Maori (native New Zealander) town alongside a lake. On the subject of lunch, we were on our own steam (no pun intended). Of course y'all know, Brian Baker found a McDonald's. Because I had greater confidence that I would be able to find a decent meal in Rotorua, I didn't join him. However, I found a small Mom and Pop style restaurand run by an old Maori lady- just the perfect type of place to get to know the people, however briefly, a little better. At 1.00, I was the only customer, waited on hand and foot as if I were a visiting dignitary. I took fried eggs, bacon, and coffee to drink. In my humble opinion, this little restaurant is better than the Cracker Barrel, because of the food and service, I sincerely hope the old lady is still there and that it's still open. After taking lunch, I bought 21 postcards to write that night and mail before leaving with the Lamberts. After that, we visited the Maori Heritage Museum. In this museum, there were many exhibits on clothing and weaponry. Outside, you could see the architecture and the omnipresence of geysers and geothermal baths. Geysers present a unique problem for golfers because when the ball lands in the hole, a geyser could put it out.

Mt & Lake Tarawera

by wkcsmt

For those not so keen on climbing, or ran out of time to do the volcanic tour (or for whatever reason it may be) ... drive down Tarawera Road (off SH5 - Te Ngae Rd) to this scenic lookout for a great view.

Mt Tarawera errupted in 1886.

Zorbing

by Rodan44

Zorbing is yet another bizarre extreme sport creation from New Zealand. Basically, the Zorb is a giant rubber balloon with another smaller rubber balloon suspended in the center. The rider climbs through a small opening into the middle balloon. The Zorb is then rolled down a hill with the rider inside, and a cushion of air between the outer and inner balloons. The rider (who they refer to as a "Zorbonaut") can either be strapped into a harness inside the Zorb, called Harness Zorbing, or unharnessed with a bucket of water thrown inside, called Hydro-Zorbing. In Harness Zorbing the rider will tumble around and around as the Zorb rolls down the hill, and in Hydro-Zorbing you slide along with the water on the bottom as the Zorb revolves around you.

My wife and I both did two Hydro-Zorb runs at their facility in Ngongotaha, just outside Rotorua. Once alone and once together. We both had a total blast, and agreed that doing the Zorb together was more fun than apart. It was definitely pricey (I believe each run was around NZ$30 or so), but it's definitely worth experiencing at least once. Great fun!

Te Puia :previously Te Whakarewarewa Thermal Resv

by kiwi

There is so much to see here. Primarily a thermal park, you can of course see
geysers and boiling mud pools
along with
sulphur terraces.
As well as that there is a
Maori Village, a carving school, and a Kiwi bird house.

Seeing the Kiwi is a very special experience, and not freely available around the country so I recommend you take the time to walk thru while here. It is no extra cost. You need to stay inside the dark house for few minutes to allow your eyes to adjust and letting you view the kiwis. Being nocturnal birds, even most New Zealand people never see one in the wild, in their lifetime.

There is a Maori Concert every day at 12.15pm - 1.00pm.
Remember this place is open 365 days a year! Hours: Summer : 8:00am - 6:00pm
Winter : 8:15am - 5:15pm

The guided walk around the park takes around 1 1/4 hrs, and the last leaves at 5pm in the summer. You can walk unguided and just see some of the park if you are short on time.
If you have a mobility problem, there is an electric "train" to ride in, ask when you buy your ticket.

Feeding the Sheep

by batgirl1001

This is me with Ken feeding the sheep. The sheep were quite excited to see us and practically ran and surrounded me, greedily eating the pellets I had in my hand.

Ken has a sheep dog named Ben. Haha....but Ben turned out to be a quiet, obedient and not friendly dog.

Ken was very friendly and nice. In fact, we were the only ones at the farm tour on that day and therefore got privileged personalised service.

He also happens to be over 80 years old and is very fit. I am sure far fitter than me. And has been a farmer all his life.

Comments