60 Tarewa Rd., Rotorua, Rotorua, North Island, New Zealand

Hotelsclick.com Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Average

• The worst customer service in NZ hostels.

Horrible service and standards. I stayed in a twin private Chalet, Chalets being the most expensive (assumed best) accommodation on the premises. The shower had no pressure and was either freezing or boiling. I asked the reception staff to fix it. When I returned to the hostel in the evening it wasn't fixed, a lady at reception said she sent the maintenance guy over and the shower's working fine and I just need to learn how to use it. When I said I've been using showers for 25 years she replied she's done her outmost best, that she knows nothing about showers and if the maintenance guy says it's ok there's nothing more she can do (although she never went to check herself). The ceilings are paper thin and sleeping is impossible when people walk or make noise upstairs. The kitchen's much too small for the amount of people staying there, and unlike normal hostels that provide all the utensils and cutlery, you get a tray that you have to pick up and return every time you want to eat something, but, the people at reception will continue answering the phones and doing work on the computer even if you've been standing there for 10 minutes and you were there before the phone rang, they'll just keep answering phone calls and you won't get a chance to speak until the phone stops ringing, which is quite ironic as I've been told to call back later when I originally called to book. I decided not to stay a further night and the staff sneered at me when I was getting my key deposit back.

Directions: Definitely not close to city centre as they claim, unless you have a car in which case distance is irrelevant, but it's not suitable for a walking backpacker uless you enjoy long walks after a night out.

• wkcsmt's Profile Photo

Fantastic YHA

It has always been the place that I put my nights here in Rotorua. It's great... that's the reason I came back for it!

If you want a little more privacy, you can always go for the chalet options rather than the backpackers accommodation where you share bathroom facilities. The chalets are available in double / twin, tripple & quad, all with ensuite. They are not that expensive at all.

Unique Quality: Hot thermal pool (6am - 12am)
    Cafe & Bar
    Chalets
    Tent & camper sites

Directions: On the edge of Kuirau Park

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

A popular choice with backpackers.

I've stayed at Kiwi-paka twice now. The first time was way back in the late 1990's. Then, I stayed in the chalets. It was very nice, with two floors, bathroom and I think it had a little kitchen. In 2004, I stayed in the dorms. There were only 4 beds in the dorm room (the 'Lodge') and they were not bunks. That is much better than some other NZ hostels I've stayed in! The room was nice and warm and the bathrooms were clean with heated floors! That's important in winter! There is a large common area, with kitchen facilities and a TV room. The hostel has an outdoor thermal swimming pool. There is a lively bar and cafe. YHA members can get a dorm for $NZ20.

Directions: West of Kuirau Park. If you cross the park, it's only a ten minute walk to the city centre.

Comments