Rotorua Hotels

Our Members Say

• resturant_critic profile photo resturant_critic
  • Reviews: 3

BRIGGS LAKESIDE COTTAGE/PROPERTY: BRIGGS LAKESIDE A PLACE FOR PIGS

DIRTY AND FILTHY AT BRIGGS LAKESIDE PROPERTY

DONT STAY THERE- this is the most disgusting filthy place to stay in rotorua

the owners write and edit their own reviews on the holiday houses website
pay no attention to the reviews on any properties on the HOLIDAY HOUSES NZ website the owners have to approve the reviews first before they are put on the site and itt looks like they write their own reviews
r the place down it should really be condemmed

smell dust old plastic tupperware bathroom in the hallway with a bath that a dog wouldnt want to bath in
falling down clothesline buliders rubble and concrete mmixer in the backyard
open to the the bay unfenced and unsafe for small children
told to keep the side gate closed because at night bad ppl can wander through the yard
bad part of town
no bathrooms a shower bath in a hallway and a concrete box called a thermal bath
with a bodgey shower head rigged up

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Gay and Lesbian, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written January 18, 2011

• Loops profile photo Loops
  • Reviews: 94

Top Ten Blue Lake Campsite: Quiet Campsite

After staying in the Top Ten at Rotorua for one night, we decided to head out to this site. We had a nice welcome from the lady who ran the front office, she was very friendly and helpful and we initially paid for just one night but decided to stay for two as we liked it there.

Being winter we didn't have to book in advance but I think it would be worth booking in busier times.

It's a big site, sadly with no view of the lake for most pitches which is a shame considering that it's the only accommodation on the lake. A very quiet time of year - there were only about 4 other campervans on the site so there were no queues for showers or the kitchen.

Showers were free but it looked as though they weren't during peak season, the amenities were very clean and use of the BBQ was also free (again I'm not sure if you'd have to pay for those during peak times too).

The weather was bad while we were there but the BBQ pits were well sheltered so we were able to still have our BBQ - hooray!

• Written October 7, 2010

Mist rolling in!

• Loops profile photo Loops
  • Reviews: 94

Rotorua Top Ten: Local Campsite

This is a small but clean and well maintained campsite very close to the centre of town. It's not particularly cheap (it cost us $60 for a power site for a family of 4), but none of the Top Ten's are, however you do get things like free hot showers and use of the kitchen/BBQ etc.

It's not the kind of site I'd want to stay at long-term but it was good for an overnighter and despite being next door to Kuirau Park, we didn't smell any sulphur at the site (maybe we just got lucky with the wind direction!).

It was a 5-10 minute walk to the nearest supermarkets and a bit further into town. I had read reviews where people complained of traffic noise, but we didn't notice that - it was winter though, so perhaps the traffic was much lighter than it is in summer.

• Written October 7, 2010

Our Camper at the Top Ten Rotorua Site

• asogno profile photo asogno

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hamurana Lodge, Rotorua Hotel Accommodation: An experience to write home about - peaceful luxur

Our stay was two nights of relaxing and peaceful luxury - money well spent.

The staff were professional and friendly throughout our stay - additionally, and more importantly, the Hamurana Lodge staff were warm and genuine. As guests, we felt that the staff were keen to ensure we had an excellent stay and any request was tended to immediately. The service was exceptional - both room service and by the bar, the staff were interested in our holiday plans, and keen to see us make the most of the time we had.

The grounds were amazing, and the facilities available were top notch. The fitness centre was well equiped offered a complete workout.

Entertainment - a full size pool table was available in the bar area. The bar is a warm and inviting space where we were able to fully relax and enjoy the pool, or a conversation. The lodge is also fitted with a Nintendo Wii which provides great entertainment for those keen to try their skills.

Breakfast provided by the lodge is a must. A french breakfast with fresh bread and pastries sets you up for the day.

Dinner at the lodge restaurant was brilliant, great service and amazing high quality meals. Well worth it.

Overall a fantastic stay in a premium five star lodge. Service is a credit to the management, I would enjoy a further stay at the Hamurana Lodge and recommend a stay here to anyone looking for a weekend escape, or a special trip away.

I wish we had been able to stay longer. The staff is a top quality host and incredibly attentive. The lodge is extremely well equipped and maintained and it would have been nice to have more time to enjoy its facilities to the full. It provides an excellent and restful base for exploring the Rotorua area.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Spa and Resort, Luxury Travel
  • Written May 15, 2010

Front of Hamurana Lodge

• peterpiper45 profile photo peterpiper45

BRIGGS LAKESIDE - ROTORUA: THE FILTHIEST PLACE IN ROTORUA - Briggs LAKESIDE

Dont take any notice of the reviews on the HOLIDAY HOUSES NEW ZEALANS website they ( the owners )have to APPROVE THE REVIEW BEFORE THEY WILL ALLOW IT ON THE WEBSITE

bRIGGS LAKESIDE PROPERTY - COTTAGE OR WHATEVER THEY WANT TO CALL

IT IS A PIG STY - VERY DIRTY - THE PROPERTY DOES NOT HAVE 2 BATHROOMS IT HAS A BATH SHOWER ARRANGEMENT IN A HALLWAY AND IT WAS FILTHY DIRTY

THE DIRTIEST PLACE I HAVE EVER SEEN - ONE OF THE BEDROOMS IS SO SMALL U CANT OPEN THE DOOR TO GET IN THE ROOM
THE KITCHEN IS SOOO GROTTY I DONT KNOW HOW ANY ONE COULD POSSIBLY EAT OR CONSUME FOOD IN THERE - THE FRIDGE NEEDS THROWING OUT AND THE MICROWAVE IS JUST PLAIN DIRTY

IF YOU LIKE FILTH THEN BY ALL MEANS STAY THERE -

THEY DO PROVIDE4 LINEN - THEY WERE THE DOGS TOWELS BUT NOW THAT UR THE GUEST U GET TO USE THEM

THE OUTSTANDING FEATURE OF THIS PROPERTY IS WHEN U LEAVE

THE PLACE IS RIGHT ON THE LAKE - NO SAFE FENCING FOR FAMILIES WITH SMALL CHILDREN

THEY HAVE A RUSTY CEMENT MIXER IN CASE U WANT TO MIX ANY CEMENT IN THE YARD OR

FIX THE FALLING DOWN CLOTHES LINE WHILE UR ENJOYING THE HOLIDAY - AND JUST IN

CASE U WANT TO TAKE A CRAP THEN U NEED TO PULL THE CHAIN IN A CERTAIN MOTION

BECAUSE THE OWNER HAS DONE HIS OWN BODGY REPAIRS TO THE ( LAUGHABLY CALLED )

TOILET -

• Related to: Farm Stay
  • Written January 5, 2010

• ihatefilth profile photo ihatefilth

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Briggs lakeside property or briggs lakeside cottag: dirty & grotty briggs lakeside property

Filthy place needs work badly in bad repair and misrepresented in their ads
unsafe yard for children
unsafe area for ppl
dirty and grotty

no outstanding qualities the thing i like the best about this property is when i left - dirty and filthy

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Seniors, Budget Travel, Zoo
  • Written September 27, 2009

• BurgerQueen profile photo BurgerQueen
  • Reviews: 320

Astray Motel & Backpackers: Not worth the money

We stayed at the Astray motel on our first night in Rotorua, and we did not have a positive impression.
We paid 95NZ$ for a small motel room, with an even smaller bathroom where the shower was full of mildew.
The hotel sign indicated a private spa in the motel which ended up to be a small and not working “swimming pool” in the laundry!! We were really disappointed by this hotel, despite the lady at the reception was very kind and friendly.

• Written May 20, 2009

The bedroom

• salisbury3933 profile photo salisbury3933
  • Reviews: 909

Terume Resort: Poor given the price

I brought my in-laws here, as the outdoor onsen was something I thought they'd like and they did.

The place is run by a Japanese family, and the rotenburo onsen is good, but the rooms themselves are shabby given the price they charge and are in genuine need of being done up.

Poor value for money.

• Written August 12, 2007

• kiwi profile photo kiwi
  • Reviews: 754

Affordable Willowhaven Holiday Park: Ngongataha

This holiday park offers campsites, caravan sites, Hookups for Mobile Homes, and chalets as well. Our chalet was very comfortable, and well equiped with cooking facilities, a tv/kitchen area, bedroom and bathroom. Plenty of room to park vehicles beside the chalet.
This is a very affordable place, not too far from Rotorua, at Ngongataha, just a short drive. Well worth considering as an alternative to more cramped and expensive places in town.

Great open spaces, not at all cramped. Nice playground for kids, and very nice barbeque area and other facilities.
Warning though - you can get a bit annoyed with the abundance of sandflies, down near the water.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Road Trip
  • Written April 2, 2007
Tip Photo

Nice holiday units to stay in.

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Motel Monterey, Rotorua: Simple and Affordable and at a Handy Location

We stayed in this motel on our first NZ visit ages ago, so the memories are a little faded. But I remember it as a little dated and simple already then, so I do not think it looks more flash now. The furniture was tired and the shower small, on the other hand the room was rather large and clean, and we had cooking facilities and an extra dining table. On the actual photos on the website it looks as if the rooms had been refurbished - at least the ones on the photos ;-)

Like nearly all motels in Rotorua they have several pools heated by thermal power - mineral pool, hot spa pool and heated swimming pool.

The owners were German.

The location is rather handy, just a short stroll to the city centre, the Government Gardens and the lake. It is next to the Lakeside Novotel.

Due to the simple standard of the units the rates are very affordable. Even in the peak season you pay only $75 for a studio with kitchenette and $85 for a one-bedroom unit with full kitchen.

I have just stayed at another of those old and affordable motels, the Havana, it was absolutely fine.

• Related to: Eco-Tourism
  • Written February 28, 2007

Park Heritage, Rotorua: Thermal wonders out the window

Rotorua has some fine hotels but only a handful look out to the thermal attractions that are Rotorua's main selling point.

This hotel is well above average and from my room I looked out across a park full of plumes of steam.

The room itself was large and very nicely appointed.

I only tried the restaurent for breakfast, this was good quality and not expensive.

The only drawback of this hotel is its distance form the town centre - it is almost at the end of the 50 kph zone and is more than a comfortable walk if you have had a few wines under your belt in a central wine bar ;-)

There is a Maori cultural show in-house each night.

• Related to: Business Travel
  • Written February 24, 2007

Havana Motor Lodge, Rotorua: A nice old motel at a great central location

There are few places in NZ with such a huge choice of accommodation as Rotorua. We have stayed at several motels already of which I forgot the names as I did not know at this time that I should/could recommend them (or not...) on Virtual Tourist LOL

The last time I stayed there I was looking for budget accommodation for myself and some colleagues at a central location for ten days, handy to some big hotels where I did not want to stay. So I looked and found the Havana Motor Lodge which prides itself as Rotorua's most central motel.

It is simple but has everything you need, plus a hot spa pool near the reception and a heated swimming pool. It is super close to the lakefront, just a very short walk to the Convention Centre, tourist info, Government Gardens etc. etc. And there is no traffic noise. And the owners were just marvellous. When we had connection problems to the internet they immediately called in a telecom technician who solved the problem, and they were helpful in any respect.

I am sure many other places are more modern and flash but what I like about such older motels is that they still have a full kitchen where you can cook from time to time, have a dining area and a lot of space, and one and two bedroom options as well.

The rates were $85 to 175 in Feb. 2007.

For more accommodation in Rotorua check the fabulous Visitor Centre website:

• Written February 11, 2007
Tip Photo

Interior of a room (photo from the motel website)

• worldkiwi profile photo worldkiwi
  • Reviews: 1039

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Blue Lake Top Ten Holiday Park.: Great budget accommodation at the Blue Lake.

The Top Ten Holiday Parks are a quality chain of campgrounds found in New Zealand. In November 2006 I stayed in the Blue Lake Top Ten Holiday Park, the first time I had stayed at one of these places.
As well as camp sites, the Top Ten Holiday Parks have cabins, some of them quite fancy. I stayed in a four bed cabin that was very nice. Facilities (kitchen and toilets and bathrooms) are communal, though some of the more expensive cabins have kitchenettes and there are fully self contained units too.
Cabins start from $NZ45 for two. It is $NZ14 per extra person. These prices are for a standard cabin. I think it's only a few more dollars for a cabin with a kitchenette.

I was very impressed with how clean and tidy this holiday park was. The showers and kitchens were spotless. The cabins were comfortable and warm (spring was not that warm in 2006). I would happily stay in a Top Ten Holiday Park again (if this is the standard).
This accommodation is across the road from the Blue Lake. I was there with a bunch of kids and some of them braved the icy water to swim in November! I imagine on a nice summers day it would be a great place to paddle a kayak.
The holiday park is about a ten minute drive from downtown Rotorua. You do need your own transport to get to and from this accommodation, as it is out of the city.

• Related to: Camping, Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written January 11, 2007
Tip Photo

Blue Lake Top Ten Holiday Park.

• allikat profile photo allikat
  • Reviews: 269

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Victoria Lodge Motel: Great place, shame about the spa...

We booked two adjoining rooms at the Victoria Lodge for a 2 night visit with my parents from England. We paid $105 NZ dollars per room per night, which for peak season is pretty good (we booked over a holiday weekend in January).

I have mixed feelings about this motel - it has some excellent qualities, but one or two drawbacks as well.

Firstly, I must say that the owners seem like great people. We were forced to delay our visit at the last minute, due to a family illness. They were very understanding and didn't charge a cancellation fee. Bearing in mind we had two rooms to cancel I thought that was very good of them. At the time, we weren't in a position to rebook.

When we did get to make our visit to Rotorua, we found the rooms compact (OK, small) but very adequate for our short stay, beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. There is parking right outside, but space is at a premium. There are bigger rooms ("executive double storey self contained appartments") but I didn't see those.

BUT....one of the things you tend to expect from Rotorua motels (and something we had asked about) was a private spa. We did get one, but I would use the term 'private spa' here in its loosest possible sense. For myself, climbing through a bathroom window into a walled, crazy-paved area approximately 7' x 5' that you fill with thermal water is pushing it a bit far. I found it dangerous climbing back in (wet and slippery, to say nothing of the fact that at 5'1" I struggled with the height of the window I had to climb through) and if you have the slightest mobility problem, you wouldn't even attempt it.

• Written March 25, 2006

Our room

• didgeridorien profile photo didgeridorien
  • Reviews: 465

All Seasons Holiday Park: Away from the sulfur smells

This is a very nice campground, also with self-contained units, a lodge and campervans. It's 10 minutes from the centre and away from the permanent sulfur smells.

Games and tv-room, heated pool, private hot swirl pool, bbq and kayaks.

• Related to: Budget Travel