Princes Gate Hotel Rotorua

Princes Gate Hotel
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 45% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Awful Stay to say the least

We did not get the room we had booked for either and we could not be moved. We definately did not like the owners, they should watch what they do people can now video or voice record on cellphones and it would be an embarrasment for Elizabeth Marvelly to say the least to have parents like that, we did not like the way Brett Marvelly was speaking to a staff member it was not right and I felt like telling him so, my recordings might come in handy one day as they have a bad reputation in Rotorua so I heard over a breakfast sitting. Don't go there.

Unique Quality: NONE

• Definatley NOT 5 Stars

Location is fantastic but the hotel is not, it was short staffed and everything seemed randomly unorganised, the food was great but the service was not. Our room was downstairs dark awful barely enough room to swing a cat, reception staff were too cocky. The wireless internet was pathethic for 2011. We have stayed in various high class 5 star hotels and this is definately not that, the sewing machines should go to a second hand shop it was cheap cluttering the lounge with junk, I would not recommend or go back when in Rotorua

Unique Quality: none only location

• Nothing Spectacular

For the price we paid it was over the top. A small suite with old frilly curtains draped over the bedhead and a frilly shower curtain did not make it 5 stars in our view. Nothing was classey 5 star as expected. Outdated bathroom suite and the room was so hot in fact it was uncomfortable and we did not have a good nights sleep. We have stayed in many 5 star hotels and this is incomparable and not up to scratch. The owner would have done more justice to his hotel cleaning the staircase than having a silly artifical conversation with us over the breakfast period. The reception floor was also dirty. The hotel is nicely located but it would have been a smoother break had we stayed elsewhere.

• Not 5 Stars

I could not work out where the 5 Stars come in. So many areas need doing up. I didn't like being forced upon with a notice to try and get me to write a good review on the internet because the lady Sue said they get many bad reviews. I wouldnt go back even though the location is excellent.

Unique Quality: pool too small

Directions: location good

• hivaoa1's Profile Photo

very close to the museum and info center/bus stop

well, it was raining and I had just met Kiwi and didn't wanna bother to look around too much and save a few euros, so i opted for this, it was expensive for NZ standards but actually cheapish for european standards (due to the euro), so I decided to overnight here for 1 night.
    it was very comfortable and people at the hotel were very kind and helpful

Unique Quality: very close to the bus stop (i arrived there with naked bus from auckland) info center and museum/lake

Directions: very close to the bus stop (i arrived there with naked bus from auckland) info center and museum/lake

• Jun 4, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Overpriced and grotty!!!
    Great location, nice pools and nice charachter building but the positives stop there. This place is a rip off, our rooms were dirty and falling apart, door handles falling off, frayed bathmats etc. The water in the shower was only luke warm for the first two days, nothing was done when I first complained and by the time something was done (by an apologetic man - he did try his best) it took ages for the water to heat up so we only had hot showers on our last morning - in winter!!!
    We stayed in the apartments, when I complained about how grotty they were I was told that only the hotel was five star and that the apartments were due an overhaul- but the rate was expensive so even if it wasn't five star it still should have been a lot better.
    I was really disappointed as I thought that I had booked somewhere with a touch of luxury - not a place of lower standard than we live in day to day.

• kiwi's Profile Photo
      Jun 4, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Hey Karen, welcome to VT. You may like to write a review rather than just a comment here, and then your review will be seen by people. Hope you do that.