Rydges Hotel Rotorua

Expedia.com Agoda.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Dirty and Tired

Stayed here January 2012, Is the most filthiest hotel I have ever stayed in. No Air conditioning in my room, I asked if the delux room had A/C receptionist said no, later I found fujitsu out door units outside these rooms clearly indicating A/c. The bathroom had mould on the taps, in the grout and Filth in the air vents, all documented with Photos. At $150 per night not good!. The Gym, the hottest room in the hotel! A/c was present but did not work, Rower did not work, Exercycle, did not work. Over all tired and in desperate need of re-furb. Embarassed to be a NZder.

I would recommend steering clear

Unique Quality: Staff where attentive, and did their best

Directions: I don't think you will need directions

• Rotorua's best hotel

I have stayed at Rydges Rotorua many times, i find it Rotorua's best hotel. A very nice hotel to stay when spending time in Rotorua. The rooms a very comfortable, with some of them with spa baths and your very own private balcony with very nice views of Rotorua.

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

I could sleep in the swimming pool

the hotel itself was adequate, clean, ok place to stay... but oh the pool. an amazing pool. if it weren't for that I'd likely look for someplace nicer, overall. not that it wasn't OK, it was, but the pool was a huge bonus.

Unique Quality: the pool was on the top floor, inside, but the windows were open... there were two built in large spas which were attached to the pool but separated by a stone wall... the ledge was barely an inch below water surface, so if you were in the HOT side you could dangle your arms into the pool (cooler but by no means cold) or if you were in the cooler side you could dangle your arms into the HOT side... or even rest your chin on the ledge and let the water lap back and forth. utter bliss.

and even better at 630 AM, no one is awake yet, you have it ALL to yourself so, like a seal, I climbed onto the ledge separating the HOT from the cooler... and fell asleep... the warm water lapping gently around me.

More about Rydges Hotel Rotorua

A good 4 star in Rotorua

by easterntrekker about Rydges Rotorua

The rooms here were spacious and really nice. We would definitely stay here again . It had a nice pool , a wonderful buffet breakfast and good service. Nice restaurant , good food.

Horrible Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member James_Marlow

We stayed at Rydges on 5 January 2008, it was digusting, the service and the room was dirty. The most annoying thing was the band playing downstairs, the noise was shocking, the rough people outside the hotel until 2 am was another digusting part. I would not recommend Rydges Hotel, louts hanging around the front door until all hours is not a good image. You should do better than that Rydges Rotorua. Never again. All i heard all night was noise.

Hotel from Hell

by TripAdvisor Member Travelingirlnz

I stayed at Rydges with friends in January and it was awful. The band playing down by reception and the hobos hanging around outside the entrance horrified me. I had to yell at the receptionist to ask her something, she couldnt hear me. The staff were lousy. No customer service at all, the room wasnt much either. I have NEVER EVER stayed at a Hotel and seen so many people partying all around the front door before until the early hours of the morning. I had this problem one other time I stayed at Rydges on business and they told me it was a one off, apparently it happens regulary. Never again in my life would I stay with you Rydges nor would I recommend this Hotel to anyone.

Very dissapointed

by TripAdvisor Member jacqAuckland

My husband and I stayed at Rydges for two nights over New Years 07/08. Never again. Upon arriving at check in we were told our room wasn't ready to come back in half an hour. We duly did to be told it still wasn't ready, come back in another 30-45 minutes. We went to get a coffee/drink in the bar whilst waiting to find the bar doesn't open until 5pm. After hanging around the lobby for 50 minutes we were told our room was finally ready. We ended up talking to another visitor experiencing the same problem as us, other guests were also waiting to check in at 4pm - so much for 2pm check in!! I counted about 7 couples/families all waiting for their rooms to be made up. My husband went to use the gym, it stunk to high heaven - there was a substantial leak from the pool above onto the gym equipment. So the gym wasn't in any fit state for use. Next day at 3pm returned after sightseeing to find our key card wasn't working so couldn't get into our room. We went to the front desk to join other couples waiting to check in - de ja vu - their rooms weren't ready! We saw at least three people leave and say they'd find somewhere else.
Rooms were passable - you get what you pay for I guess. Breakfast was fine. When checking out the family next to us at front desk were listing numerous problems with their room - spa jets in bath not working and so on. A email to the property when we got home has not been replied to - sums up the whole experience - they really aren't even trying. Would recommend somewhere closer to town if you are visitng Rotorua.

Average - very hot in Summer

by TripAdvisor Member OZ-Travelling-Family

We stayed in this Hotel just after Christmas. The room was rather large and spacious - but very hot. Heating was working in the middle of the summer and we had to turn it off. Even the corridors were quite hot.

There was no air conditioning in the rooms - only a ceiling fan very high up - so very uncomfortable nights. Should be ok in winter though.

Room was ok and ready when we got there around 3:00pm. Bath room was large but it appeared as unclean and dated. Part of the culprit in our view is the minerals in the water in Rotorua but Hotel should take some efforts to get rid of these deposits as it looks quite grotty.

Room was done up every day. However, the second day, we found that all the soap had disapeared and not replaced. This however was quickly rectified after a call to the house keeping.

Staff were a mixed bag. Some quite friendly while others need to be tought how to smile.

We had breakfast two days and dinner one day. The breakfast spread was nothing fancy but acceptable. The buffet dinner we had was quite good (much better then the chinease food disaster we had in the city the day after) and the chef on duty made an excellent stir fry for us.

Hotel is not in the thick of the city. We had no problem with this. There are no views from rooms except the racecourse. Parking is a plenty. We did not try the pool but my wife used the gym and found it to be acceptable.

We found the hotel to be lot less crowded and quiet than we expected at this time of the year.

Overall not a bad experience. Better than the Rydges in Christchurch.

Dirty, dirty, dirty

by TripAdvisor Member gater10

After staying at several other Rydges, we just booked our stay at this hotel. When we arrived at 2:30, our room wasn't ready. When we finally checked, we asked to see the room first. It was HUGE and we thought that there was a mistake. We were shown another smaller room but the price (and smell) didn't justify the change. The room was dirty however, the carpet was disgusting and there was a half inch of dust on the base of the table. We went upstairs to look at the pool which was murky/cloudy and foul smelling. Obviously we didn't swim!
If this was our first experience at a Rydges, we wouldn't stay at another.

Critism

by TripAdvisor Member CriticInEngland

Stayed 2 nights as part of tour. Location was ok. Room was very big and had all the amenities you'd need, BUT, hotel is well past its refurbishment date, in every regard it needed modernising and generally some Tlc. Was suprised at a group letting it go to that state.
Not to be recommended.

a good bet

by TripAdvisor Member rafaman

Located next to the racecourse on the outskirts of Rotarua, the Rydges is an above average hotel with large spacious rooms which are well equipped and well maintained. Ensuite, Sky TV, tea making facilities - all you would require. The resurauant is very nice with a well varied menu and not overpriced. The hotel offers a swimming pool and a gym. Its a 20 minute walk from the town centre but very peaceful with plenty of parking spaces.

Comments