Waihi Hotels

• Earth-visitor profile photo Earth-visitor
  • Reviews: 3

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Chicken & Trout B&B/Homestay: Trout Fishing on the North Island

I was fortunate enough to stay in Waihi with Micheal and Adrienne Muir who run a B&B called the Chicken & Trout Homestay (http://www.troutandchicken.co.nz/trout.htm) which was very fortuitous as Micheal is an avid fisherman and more than willing to share his local knowledge with outsiders. He is not a guide, but has good contacts with local guides. While I was there visiting he was a controller for a national fly fishing competition in the same river he showed me around on. I was a bit amazed as a day after I was left empty handed, the same stretch of river (1/4 mile long) produced twelve 16-20 inch trout in 3 hours, including 3 browns, for one competitor. Needless to say I need to brush up on my casting skills!

A great place to stay in a 'undiscovered' part of New Zealand. The hosts made the stay fabulous. The wire haired terrier Jessie, was delight to have around.If you are looking for a place to take a bit of time off, consider a few days in the Waihi area. A great central location for fishing, tramping, hot springs, and some great beaches. The town is about 15 minutes from the beach, so you get a feeling of being in the country but with the convenience of ocean beach strolls a few minutes away. Not a lot to do but relax and enjoy the people and the environment. But with a glass of local in your hand after a hot soak, even the one one that got away seems to make it all part of a perfect day.

Well I finally got to catch a trout in New Zealand. http://picasaweb.google.com/ezConnect.Australia/TroutChickenWaihiNewZealand?authkey=KUPaeOGq-mY
I have been a frustrated fly fisherman for years as I moved from North America to the semi tropics of Australia. Fly fishing for anything but a trout or salmon is just not the same. A few years ago I visited the South Island of New Zealand and discovered some great fishing. This last week I discovered the North Island and the amazing fishing there. I was very fortunate to have stumbled across a little town called Waihi, which if you ask any kiwi, they will say oh the 'mining' town. It is best known for its large gold mine.
The gold has just about played out so the locals are having to share some other 'gold' with out of towner's. In this case some the best hospitality New Zealand has to offer, along with fabulous food and of course great fishing.
Waihi is about 2 hours south of Auckland and is centrally located about 1 hour from everything. Everything important to people into relaxing and not seeing crowds. As an off the beaten path location it has 3 hot springs within an hours drive (20 minutes - www.athenreehotsprings.co.nz, 40 minutes - www.tearohapools.co.nz, 60 minutes - www.mirandaholidaypark.co.nz/) which are a great way to finish off a day. For an all over NZ look at hot springs look at http://www.nzhotpools.co.nz.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average