Hetherington Road, , Whangamata
Breakers Motel
Booking.com Priceline.com Agoda.com

More about Whangamata

Gaga'sGaga's

The forestry Road.The forestry Road.

Whangamata CoastWhangamata Coast

TakeawaysTakeaways

Travel Tips for Whangamata

Secluded Beaches.

by kiwi

That's me visiting my friends' private beach. That is, no one can get access from land, but it is allowable to land here from the sea.
The trees here are Pohutukawas, which are known as our Christmas Tree. They flower at Christmas and are a beautiful bright red colour. The specimens here at this beach are very old over 100 years.

Whangamata

by kiwigal_1

"VT Meeting"

I can't believe I haven't been to Whangamata until now... and even then I stayed 4 hours for a small "VT meeting" and then left again! It was time enough to sample the fare from a local fish 'n' chip shop and take in the very retro bach owned by "kiwi" (Thanks Pam for having us!) I will have to make a trip to Whangamata again in the summer when the population explodes.... stay tuned!

Wentworth Valley

by kiwi

"Not far from Whangamata"

Take a drive up the Wentworth Valley just south of Whangamata. At the end of the road you can take a lovely bushwalk up to the waterfall. This used to be one of the tracks used by pioneering goldminers, with their horses. Along the way, not so far, you pass by the entrance to one of many mineshafts hidden in these hills.

The walk to the falls alongside the Wentworth River, takes about 40 mins. Good walking shoes needed, the track is reasonably able and not too steep. Most people can enjoy this walk, thru lovely native forest.

"Top of the Waterfall"

The top of the waterfall is a little insignificant, unless you get brave like this crazy Italian, and go stand right on the edge and look over.
He was dreaming of rock diving in Sardegna, but this fall had a 'lip' half way which would have broken the dive, not to mention the bones!!

"The Waterfall"

At the base of the waterfall you get a great view from the platform. Down below us we could hear kids swimming in the falls pool, and I believe the water is ok to swim in. Cold I bet though!! You can also see here, the halfway point where the falls have a step preventing any rock diving from the top.

Even the river is worth exploring and remember "there is gold in them thar hills!"........

Comments