Portside Hotel Gisborne

Booking.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Gisborne

one of many old photos of The Worksone of many old photos of The Works

You cannot miss the signYou cannot miss the sign

view of Poverty Bayview of Poverty Bay

welcoming ambiencewelcoming ambience

Travel Tips for Gisborne

Maori Language

by amyLbrown2002

The East Coast of New Zealand, which is where Gisborne lies, has one of the larger percentages of Maori population. Ao you will find that many people will pepper their conversations with a few Maori words.

This is helped along by the government's drive to incorporate the Maori language into everyday life in our culture.

Here are a few words that every Kiwi knows:

Kia Ora: Hello
Whanau: Family
Whare: House
Taniwha: Sea Monster
Haere Mai: Welcome
Tamariki: Children

Travel up the east cape

by nznat

Get to some of the surrounding areas like up the east cape Tologa Bay is a cute old town with a huge footbridge, or Wainui is an awesome surf beach.

There are also some nice waterfalls further inland 'Rere' I think where there is meant to be a huge natural slide but it is pretty hard to find.

Mahia Peninsula: two kind of beaches

by vtveen

Mahia Peninsula is situated between Gisborne and Wairoa. It is about 1 hour drive from Gisborne along SH 2; in Nuhaka is a turn off to the peninsula. The scenic roads follows Hawke Bay and we passed several stunning beaches with big waves and already views on Mahia Peninsula.

Through an isthmus we did reach the settlement of Mahia Beach with a very wide sandy beach. Although we were in the middle of the summer we didn’t see anybody; almost unbelievable.

On the north/east side is another road along the coast. And the scenery is completely different with rocky beaches and bizarre rock formations. Elsewhere we found a lot of rock pools and almost at the end of the road at Auroa Point again huge rocky platforms and small pools with sea urchins and sea horses.

A very beautiful piece of New Zealand and so unknown. In the meantime is Mahia one of our favourite spots. We do like it very much and had a perfect trip.

Vintage Steam Railway

by amyLbrown2002

This boasts being the sole surviving WA165 Class locomotive in New Zealand. It's been fully restored, and over Labour weekend (long holiday weekend) it takes a scenic route up the East Coast of New Zealand, passing through Gisborne.

I've never been on it myself, but it is meant to be fantastic, steeped in history and beautiful scenery.

Tickets are $20 adult.

Gisborne Rocks!

by allikat

Domestic air travel is notoriously expensive in New Zealand. Locals will argue that it used to be far more expensive, but that's small comfort to me, especially as I used to live twenty minutes from Stansted Airport in the UK, and all that Ryan Air had to offer. Basically, there is a lack of competition, but this is slowly changing, and prices are starting to come down.

So when my partner got lucky on Air New Zealand's "Grab-A-Seat" promotion and managed to nab a couple of tickets from Auckland to Gisborne for $6 each way, you can imagine we were pretty excited.

Of course, he was more excited than I was. He likes flying, and I don't much, and I certiainly wasn't keen on a ride in a 19-seater propellor-driven aircraft with no personal seat-back screens or complimentary in-flight drinks trolley.

However, not only did I manage, I actually kind of enjoyed it. And not long after leaving Auckland, we had settled ourselves nicely into the Tatapouri Fishing club for a nice bit of steak and a glass or two of red.

We picked the Tatapouri fishing club for two reasons. In 1991, my brother-in-law had been flying commercially and was based in Gisborne. He was involved with the fishing club, and after winning a couple of key prizes in that year's Ninety Mile Beach surf fishing contest had his winning fish mounted for the club. We had gone to see the legendary fish. Plus it was close to the backpackers.

We didn't know it, but we were in for a bit of a surprise. At 8.55pm, halfway through ordering two medium-rare steaks, the ground started to shake - and I mean, really shake. There was a low rumble, and for maybe a second or two, I wondered if a rail track ran by the club and that a freight train was passing. Then, pretty quickly, I realised we were experiencing an earthquake. I think I remember someone saying that it was.

Now, I think I may have experienced a very slight tremor when I visited Italy as a child. The Earth, and the stuff it does, has always fascinated me. Ever since I found myself living somewhere that gets a lot of shaking, quaking, steaming, boiling, erupting and rumbling, I've wanted to experience a 'proper' earthquake. Of course, I don't want anyone to get hurt, or for there to be any damage. I just wanted to know what it felt like. So for maybe another couple of seconds, I'm quite sure I was grinning and feeling a bit thrilled by it all.

And then the ground started really lurching, by maybe a couple of feet back and forth. I could see the water in the marina sloshing around like some sort of washing machine, and I remember clutching tightly to my partner as we moved to get under a doorway.

Looking down the length of the building to the restaurant area, we could see a giant, stuffed shark which was suspended from the ceiling swinging wildly. That was surreal and that was the point I think I realised the building might not stand up to the shaking and lurching if it carried on much longer. The lights went out, and all you could hear was breaking glass. Then one more big lurch and it stopped as suddenly as it started.

6.8 magnitude, 50km SE, about 40km deep, lasting about 30 seconds.

Gisborne does get a few quakes, but the girl who had been trying to take our order clearly thought I was mad when I looked at her nervously, post-quake, and said "I supposed you're used to this?". No one in New Zealand is 'used to' quakes that chunky.

The town is far better known for it's vineyards, it's surrounding beaches and for being Captain James Cook's first landing place when he arrived in New Zealand in 1769, anchoring in Poverty Bay. I like wine and I like beaches, and Gisborne, normally one of the sunniest spots in New Zealand, has an abundance of both. It doesn't normally shake that much. Go see!

Comments