Bay Sands Motel

Bay Sands Seafront Studios
Agoda.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

More about Paihia

Stunning Elliot BayStunning Elliot Bay

The old police stationThe old police station

another of the many lounge areasanother of the many lounge areas

The Kauri treeThe Kauri tree

Place to stay in Paihia during my honeymoon

by amazingclick

I want to stay in a Luxury accomodation in Paihia during my honeymoon. Any recommendation? The rooms should have a good view of the bay .

Re: Place to stay in Paihia during my honeymoon

by Kakapo2

If you did not mind staying some kilometres from Paihia, I would recommend The Boathouse in Opua - it is located right where the car ferry to Russell starts. Great views and really luxurious accommodation right by (in!) the water.

Opua is just 3 or 4 km from Paihia which is the tourist hub where everybody hangs out. To me it would not be a place for a honeymoon.

Another option would be to stay on the other side of the water in lovely Russell. Eagle's Nest is a spectacular resort with an infinity pool and fantastic views:

If you absolutely want to stay in Paihia you could go for this place:

Here you find more accommodation options:

Check out Paihia, Russell and Opua.

Travel Tips for Paihia

Sand Surfing near 90 Miles Beach Part 2

by darthmilmo

Feeling a bit more adventurous, I managed to convince Connor to ride down the back slope. As we reached the first summit, we walked through the ridge to the top of the second slope. The first slope we tried had a 45 degree angle with ample of space to slow down. The slope we were about to try had an 80 degree angle with little room for error. Before I went down the slope, I asked Connor if he thought we had enough room to brake. He replied by saying sure. Oh, how na?ve we were at that time. What followed closely resembled a scene from a funny cartoon. I hopped into the buggie board and headed down hill head first. I quickly caught up a tremendous speed. Unlike the powdery sand of the slope on the front, this one was as hard as a rock and as hot as a frying pan. So down I went catching up speed without slowing down. I reached the bottom, which had very little room for braking. To my surprise, I didn't slow down and I was so fast I couldn't possible roll to the side without getting hurt. So, I instinctively covered my head with my arms and hopped for the best. Mimicking a cartoon character, I headed head on towards the upcoming smaller slope ahead of me. It was one of those slopes that have been weathered down by wind, thus showing a ninety degree angle wall. All I can remember is hitting that slope hard. It didn't hurt much at the time, but according to Connor I hit it like an exploding torpedo sending off sand up high into the air for all to see. It was hilarious he said! I was just happy to be alive for a few inches to my right and left was several sharp rocks that were not visible from above! I tried to warn him not to follow on my footsteps, but he didn't get the message up above. All I could see was him on the board riding at a fast speed down bellow. He saw the error of my ways though and managed to roll himself to the side to slow down. It didn't help him much either for he rolled like crazy. Luckily no one was hurt so we decided to head uphill to ride the easier slope on the other side.

Flagstaff Hill

by iandsmith

One of the activities you can indulge in (recommended) is to walk up to Flagstaff Hill. This has the combined benefits of (a) giving you some exercise (b) giving you panoramic views and (c) giving you a history lesson. All that and it's free.
There's a couple of routes, the one we took up takes you past some of the real estate of those-who-can-afford and there's certainly some beautiful homes amongst them.
When you arrive at the top it's a great orientation point, both in terms of how the Bay of Islands is situated and how it stands in history.
The first flagstaff was erected in 1840 after the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi. The chequered history of the pole(s) after that is almost a goon style comedy if it weren't so serious.
Eventually, in 1857, the flagstaff issue was resolved and the final one was erected, part of which is still there today, and it was given the title Whakakotahitanga, which means "being at one with the queen".
A little further up the hill is a sundial which represents the apex as well as the time.
On the way back we took the slightly longer route through the bush. Though it was supposed to be closed we took a chance anyway and, as I usually find, there's just a small spot where you encounter a little difficulty and, other than that, there's no problem. This walk brings you out on to the beach and makes for a special entry back to the town. The whole exercise can be completed comfortably within an hour and by then you'll be looking forward to a cuppa at one of the restaurants.

Watangi Treaty House: Giant Whare Waka

by darthmilmo

The historic grounds are now open to the public and are managed by a trust. Waitangi is located on a beautiful spot overlooking the Bay of Islands. One of the price exhibits is a giant Whare Waka, which is a Maori war canoe over 35 meters in length. It was built in the mid 1900's from three giant Kauri trees using traditional building techniques (some of which were long gone).

Comments