YHA Paihia

Cnr Kings MacMurray Roads, 10, Paihia, New Zealand
YHA Paihia
Agoda.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Paihia

Looking south across the bayLooking south across the bay

No problem for RosemarieNo problem for Rosemarie

I like the Maori canoe logo incorporated into nameI like the Maori canoe logo incorporated into name

At the Beach in PaihiaAt the Beach in Paihia

Travel Tips for Paihia

The Kauri tree

by darthmilmo

The Kauri tree is one of the tallest and widest trees on Earth. Its timber has a worldwide reputation as well making it a prime target. Both Maori and Europeans cut down thousands of these trees for their timber. Unlike other species, this tree is a slow grower so a full mature tree may be over one thousand years old. It's a shame that many of the Kauri trees where wiped out from the New Zealand scenery. Today, it is an offence to cut one of them down, even if one of them is on your back yard!

North to Cape Reinga: Where to Oceans Collide

by darthmilmo

After lunch, we kept on going north towards Cape Reinga. We arrived to the tip of the cape. As we walked from the parking lot to the lighthouse, we could clearly see that what they say is true. The Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean meet at this point. You can see this effect clearly from this vantage point on a clear day. The green Tasman Sea clashes into the blue Pacific waters marked with a thundering line of interloping waves. This amazing sight is complemented by a gorgeous white lighthouse and thick green pastures. After the lovely walk down to the tip of Cape Reinga, we made our way back.

Bay of Islands: Lookout from above

by darthmilmo

Back in town, I made my way towards the hostel. I ran across Connor, the crazy American whom I met and nearly lost my life with yesterday. He was walking with Catherine (Australian), Dough (American), Ed (Britt), Mike (Germany), and Christy (Canadian). Apparently they were on their way to a lookout on the top of a hill near town to see the Bay of Islands from atop. I had planned on getting some R&R on the hostel after a full day, but Connor convinced me to come along. So I went with the flow and together we walked the 1 hour trail to the lookout. The view was spectacular, but the company was even better. Later that evening we played some card games and watched a movie.

Going to the Bay of Islands !

by dragontml

The 'Bay of Islands' was how Captain James Cook described the area two centuries ago, and the simplicity of his name masks the diversity of its charm. Site of New Zealand's first European settlement and about 150 scattered islands off the North Island.

It is an area where the sea has invaded and drowned a number of river valleys. Its sheltered waters offer some of the finest boating and fishing to be found anywhere, and the menus of local restaurants reflect the abundance of marine life in the Bay.

The village of Waitangi (not to be confused with the town on the Chatham Islands) has a carved Maori meeting lodge, a shipwreck museum, the world's largest war canoe (made from the trunks of two kauri trees) and Treaty House, where the British and Maoris signed a peace treaty in 1840, creating the modern state of New Zealand.

I had a few days left in NZ before my returning flight home and so I decided to book myself with the Magic Bus to the Bay of Islands. No regrets. Was brilliant trip and our bus driver made sure we had a good trip ! TQ.

Comments