237 Victoria Street, Hamilton, North Island, New Zealand
Booking.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Poor

• Apr 1, 2013 at 3:29 AM

After searching for a hotel in Hamilton that had a spa bath that could fit 2 people in it we were left with the Le Grand Hotel in Hamilton. I did my research and read the reviews, some had good things to say others weren't as kind. Because of what we were looking for which was a spa bath that my partner and I could use together the Le Grand Hotel was it. The only two rooms in the hotel that had spa baths big enough to sit 2 people was the Executive and Terrace Rooms. The Terrace Room was already booked so I booked and paid for the Executive room. The girl that was at the front desk when we arrived on the 31/03.2013 was very pleasant and kept commenting about our wonderful room that we were booked into. Our room was huge and it had the two beds although having the two beds wasn't necessary. Our spa bath was lovely however, after hopping out and draining out the water, we couldn't switch it off. We left our room and cold hear the noise of the spa bath from the corridor. We went for dinner came back to the hotel and told the girl about the spa bath as well as not being able to get the movie channel on sky as it had parental blocking which she had no idea about and the person that she rung told us to try a code and hope that it would work. When we got to the room you could still hear the spa bath running from our room so we had to ring her and she came up to disconnect it from the fuse box outside our room. The bonus to out night, the movie channel sorted itself out and we were able to watch movies on sky. The following morning I decided to make us a coffee, and the jug wouldn't go, we had to ring the receptionist who came up and the girl that disconnected the fuse for the spa did not say that it would affect the jug, which it did so the fuse was put back in. After our coffees, we had a shower and whoever designed these shower controls really need to come and put the water temperature control in another place as, when you open up the shower door it actually adjusts the temperature of the water, not good at all!!! Overall, apart from the very large Executive room, it is very dated, the net curtains had holes in them, the spa bath even though it was nice when used wouldn't switch off and had to be manually disconnected, we couldn't get the movie channel until later on in the night, breakfast was very, very basic. For $230.00 I was expecting luxury and sadly enough, never got that at the Le Grand Hotel. I will not go there again nor will I be recommending it to anyone. It would be interesting to see if the Terrace room is worth it's "weight in gold"?

• kiwi's Profile Photo
      Apr 1, 2013 at 3:43 AM

Hey there, welcome to VT :-) Would be good if you could write a review on this hotel, instead of as a "comment" as you have done here. That way, members might find it when they are researching reviews. Hope you do that. And hope you enjoy Vt and write more pages too :-)