Greytown Hotels

• Kakapo2 profile photo Kakapo2
  • Reviews: 1858

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Oak Estate Motor Lodge: Tasteful and modern units

As I find Martinborough overpriced I rather choose Greytown as a place to stay in the Wairarapa wine region.

Oak Estate Motor Lodge is – as the name suggests – surrounded by mature trees and nicely sheltered. It offers very good-quality accommodation, with rather new spacious and tastefully decorated ground-floor units with kitchen facilities (microwave, kettle and taoster). I had a wheelchair-accessible studio. Apart from a huge bed it had a desk, Sky TV, iron and ironing board. Although I do not like wheelchair-accessible bathrooms, at least in this one the floor was only wet under the shower, and when you showered you did not set the entire room under water, as happens so often in much more expensive hotels. There was a hairdryer in the bathroom. The heater in the room worked well.

Parking was directly in front of the studio, and there were plastic chairs and a table on a verandah behind the unit for al fresco breakfast and coffee.

You have access to the laundry and a BBQ area.

The motor lodge is also suitable for business travel as it has conference facilities.

The owners were very friendly and I would happily recommend this motel.

The most dangerous thing about the motor lodge is to exit if you have a car with a relatively low front spoiler. Just roll onto the road or you hit the tarmac with the spoiler.

The only things I have to criticise is 1. the location because it is too far south of the town centre to walk to and from the restaurants and shops, and 2. the lack of net curtains. The latter is one of my pet topics. I really hate to be visible to everyone outside while I change clothes, or, of course, as I do, close the curtains on a brilliant sunny morning until I have finished showering and getting dressed.

A missed chance is to add a proper stove to the huge kitchen area. This would really help as Greytown is dead after 8pm, and if you arrive late you might be forced to cook dinner yourself if you do not want to spend NZ$ 30 for a steak at the Saluté bar. But well, there is a microwave, so you can at least heat a ready-made meal from the supermarket. (Well… from a supermarket somewhere else, as shops are also closed ;-)

I do not want to give you a false impression with listing these tiny negative comments. I had a very good stay and would always book in there again.

The motel is at the corner of Main St & Hospital Road, at the southern end of Greytown.

The rates are from NZ$ 130 to 190 for two people, depending on the season and kind of unit you choose. I travelled in early November and paid – booking through the Napier i-site - NZ$ 110 only. So there seems room for negotiation.

Additional contact information:

Fax (06) 304 8187
Reservations Freephone (0800) 843 625

Photo 2 shows the outdoor area in the backyard.

On photo 3 you see the kitchen facilities, on photo 4 the bathroom, and on photo 5 a view of the desk/TV area.

• Opinion of Price: about average