Cnr Bolton & Mowbray Sts, Wellington, North Island, 6140, New Zealand

Expedia.com Travelocity Agoda.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• nettlestraveling's Profile Photo

Business in Wellington

My stay at the Bolten was great. After a flight in from Seattle, connecting in Aukland, I arrived early (around 10am), my room was not ready, but the front desk quickly took my cell number and provided me with some good shopping recommendations to pass the time. The room was ready at the time that they estimated. The room was extremely clean and had a great minibar and snacks selection (important when working into the evenings for me).

Unique Quality: Pillow menu, which I did not take advantage of and the minibar and room had a number of items and bus. or international traveler may need that you might not think to pack (power convertor, umbrella, etc...)

More about Bolton Hotel Wellington

Great Hotel - Esp with 2 kids

by TripAdvisor Member jlw10

We had 3 great nights here in December. I booked directly with the hotel using the entertainment book & the room cost was $184.50 nzd per night.
We booked a Premier Twin rooom, (2 Queen beds in one room). This worked well with 2 kids 6 & 4 as it had a good sized (for a hotel) loung/dining/meals area & we could put the kids to bed & relax in lounge area. Loved everthing about it, very comfy beds, tastefully decorated, good size bathroom (no bath). It felt like an appartment, but with the convenience of daily room service. We used the kitchen for a few meals, did a couple of loads in the washing machine & were very happy with both.
Our room was about level 16 I think & we had a view over the cemetary & did a walk through it which was very interesting.
You can see the motor way , but it's not off putting & you don't get any noise from it.
It was an easy walk down to Lamton Quay shops, the cable car & many tourist sites.
Would recommend it to families, our kids loved the pool & I think the Black Caps Cricket team were staying there & using the gym, which wasn't huge, but had the basics.
Staff were very friendly & helpful.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ECAH

If you need to stay in Wellington then look no further as this is a great place to stay. Our suite was extremely well equipped, spotlessly clean and represtented really good value for money, even the mini bar was at shop prices. Whilst our room lacked a view the hotel is well located and car parking was not an issue.

One of the best places we stayed at in New Zealand.

The best hotel i have ever stayed in

by TripAdvisor Member chucklette42

Was booked in here for 2 nights and very quickly decided to stay an additional 3rd night. Quite frankly, I wished I could just move in forever!
The apartment/room was a good size with fully-equipped stylish kitchen, bathroom was beautiful and the bedroom had a very comfortable bed and because of it being a room away from the entrance door into the apartment (cos of the living-room and bathroom) it was very quiet. The best night's sleep i've had in a long time!

I arrived early and the rooms were still being cleaned but reception were very helpful and found a room that was done for me so I could get in and freshen up after my long flight. Unfortunately although the room was amazing (as I think they all are) the view was over other tower blocks, very pretty tower blocks through nice big windows but not the "Wellington" view I had hoped for. I asked them if when the rooms were cleaned I could move to one with a better view and they sorted it and moved my bags for me while i was out and about. When I got into my new room - Oh. My God.... A beautiful view over a park and hillside and because of those amazing floor to ceiling windows it was sooooooooooooo impressive!

Can't rave enough about this place.

Only thing I'd add is there's a grocery store and bakery/cafe place just around the corner so I'd definitely take advantage of that fab kitchen and nip round the corner in the morning for a fresh croissant!

Sophisticated hotel in quiet end of town

by TripAdvisor Member cpdh

We booked the Bolton for four nights after we read the reviews on here, admired the photos on its Web site, and found an excellent deal for a one-bedroom suite (at about half the price on the hotel's Web site!). The decision was a good one.

We were delighted when we walked into our room and found it had good seating areas, a decent-sized bedroom with king bed, and a huge bathroom. The suite included a kitchenette, and we took advantage of it to make our own simple breakfasts every morning. An added bonus was the little washer/dryer that enabled us to refresh our things at the midpoint of our long vacation.

The room decor was modern and stylish - a lot of glass, a little impersonal. We rather liked it and found it pleasant to sit in the morning light and read the newspaper.

The Bolton strikes us as a business hotel, which may be why they charge an exorbitant fee for wireless Internet connection. Tourists not on an expense account may prefer to find a Starbucks and pay the $10 for an hour without restrictions on bandwidth.

The other thing about the hotel is its location. The Bolton is pretty much around the corner from the Beehive (Parliament) and next to the National Bank. That end of town is ghostly quiet after 5:00 on Friday. Come Monday morning, it was alive once again. The walk to the shops of Cuba Street, to Te Papa, or even beyond are not unreasonable - Wellington is quite compact - but it will involve hills, so it may not be an ideal situation for all people.

The location and the Internet connection issues were minor ones, though. We loved the city (wonderful dining and shopping to be found there, and we were blessed with exceptionally dine weather), and thought the hotel is worth a return visit (though we would hope to land that great price again!).

Should have stayed longer

by TripAdvisor Member Clancysclan

Great Hotel. Unfortunately we were only there one night. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment. Fully equipped kitchen, living room, separate bedroom with the most comfortable bed I have slept in in a long time. Had "pillow service". If you didn't like your pillows, call the front desk and they would instantly replace them. Great front desk, bell hops, and Valet parking attendants. Very good location to walk around town. Also, very safe and clean. Would stay there again. It felt like a 5 Star Hotel and the staff acted accordingly.

First Class!

by TripAdvisor Member Ahmads

My husband and I stayed here for couple night while touring the country on our honeymoon. This hotel is simply impeccable! In this case, what you see on their website is exactly what you get. The rooms (as well as the hotel) are clean, fresh, modern, and sophisticated. It's definitely a hotel catered for business travelers. The restaurant "Bisque on Bolton " served superb dinner. Try their hot chocolate, it'll probably be one of the best you've ever had. It's delicious!

For our entire 2 weeks stay in New Zealand, we didn't rent a car and basically relied on the public transportation systems of different cities we visited. The Bolton is techinically not in the city center compared to some of the other hotels, we accidently found a way to the main street "Lamton Quay". The hotel sits on the corner of "Bolton Street" and "The Terrace". We were just strollling down Terrace looking for a place to eat dinner when a local guy told us about this restaurant called "DoJo". He directed us toward the restuarant and we discovered these stairs that took us down from the Terrace to "Woodward street" (i believe that's what it was called, not sure tough). That street connects right to the main street Lambton Quay. We were so excited! It's a short-cut 5 minutes from the hotel. Lambton Quay is lined with bus stops that took us to Te Papa museum, etc.

The following day we didn't even take the bus, but walked all the way from our hotel to Lambton Quay and then to the city center. We found some great ethinic restaurants, shopping, along the way. Look at your maps or ask the concierge the way to DoJo restaurant!

I would highly recommend this hotel, especially after we found how to get to the main street so easily.

Excellent week-end rates

by TripAdvisor Member SixtyDays

We really enjoyed our stay in Wellington and the Bolton contributed to our enjoyment of the city. Although, our visit got off to a shaky start with two rooms we were shown to, not yet cleared following the departure of guests (at 7pm in evening). However, we got upgraded to a much larger suite than we had originally booked. All other aspects of the hotel were very professional and I would not hesitate to stay at the Bolton again. Location-wise however, most of the restaurants and bars are at the other end of town, but this is easily walkable or covered in a taxi.

Good Value, Nice Room, Great Little City

by TripAdvisor Member MerlinMc

Wellington is a great little city with lots to do along with a selection of nice restaurants.

The Bolton is conveniently located between the government buildings and downtown. You can easily walk to both areas. Across the street from the Bolton is a cemetery with some fairly old (for NZ) headstones in a very nice setting.

We liked the room. The decor reminded us of a W hotel in the US. There's a sitting area as well as a good desk. Internet access is kind of expensive as there is a surcharge if you use too much bandwidth.

Bolton's staff is great. They were both knowledgeable about the area as well as helpful and pleasant.

This was great

by TripAdvisor Member Manoja

We had a wonderful time. Booked a two bedroom apartment through Wotif for a family wedding. Rooms were comfortable and well appointed, staff friendly and attentive. We cannot fault this hotel at all.

Comments