153 Featherston Street, Wellington, North Island, 6001, New Zealand

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo

Standard affordable and well located

This is perfectly adequate and reasonably priced accommodation in the centre of the business district. Clean, comfortable and about what you would expect for the class of hotel it is.

There is a restaurant as well in the hotel but I did not check it out.

• kiwi's Profile Photo

Central and convenient

The Ibis provided everything I needed and I really enjoyed my stay. Although it's either a long walk or a bus ride to TePapa (museum), Ibis is close to the main downtown shopping area of Lampton Quay. It's not too far from Parliament and associated buildings. But most of all I enjoyed being able to shop, return to my room and go out again very conveniently. Not far from bus stops to venture further out.

My room was very clean and tidy, I have no complaints. There is no minibar, but that doesn't bother me. Room has a fridge and coffee/tea making facilities.

Staff were very helpful and friendly, the guy in the bar/restaurant was like a walking information officer and could tell me the bus number and time to go where I was going. Who needs the internet when there's staff like that!

Ibis lobby has free wifi provided by the city. Rooms have broadband at usual exhorbitant hotel rates. Lobby has internet stations as well, for those who don't have a computer.

Unique Quality: Very close to cafes and eateries, shops and waterfront.

• hethbill's Profile Photo

Very nice Hotel

I stayed at the Hotel Ibis in Wellington in 2004 for a week and found it to be very nice - clean, modern, and comfortable and the staff was friendly. The room was small, but that's typical in New Zealand.

It was a little on the pricey side, but hey, my work was paying.

The location was good - just a few blocks to the pedestrian section of downtown, Te Papa, and the waterfront.

• kiwi_traveller's Profile Photo

Cheap and somewhat nasty

I stayed here on business on December 2004 and I must say it left a lot to be desired. I almost fell over when I saw the room: it was tiny (quite a bit smaller than in this pic - I don't think it had a chair) and felt like it should have been in some cheap motel out in the sticks (eg bad decor, small bathroom and tiny tv).

I think my firm paid about NZ$150 which was waaaaay too much. Good location though if you aren't too fussed about the room and there is only one of you. Otherwise not recommended.

In future I will always use www.wotif.co.nz or www.lastminute.co.nz to try to find something nicer at a better price.

NB: They may have different classes of rooms, some of which are clean, modern and not so claustrophobic (you would hope so!!)

Unique Quality: Ummm- location was about it. Very central in Wellington- you could walk anywhere you needed to go.

More about Ibis Wellington

Good location

by TripAdvisor Member bon_vivant_traveller

Stayed in the Ibis for 5 nights during a business trip to Wellington in November 2007. The room was small and simply appointed but clean and okay given I didn't spend too much time in my room.

The hotel was very well located and reasonably priced so I would consider staying there again. The staff could have been more helpful with bags etc but were generally pleasant and helpful. I was however concerned that left luggage wasn't tagged & well secured - I stored my laptop after checkout and was later walked into the luggage room to identify and collect it on my departure - I could have walked out the door with anyone's bags!

There is a taxi rank right outside the front door which is handy. I didn't eat at the hotel but can recommend Logan Brown in Cuba Street & Shed 35 at Queens Wharf for great food.

A bit tawdry

by TripAdvisor Member tfcfan

Not the best Ibis hotel I've ever stayed in. The reception and bar area is quite plush and lively early evening. But the rooms and corridors are on the tired and tawdry side. Hardly any TV channels to choose from and no Sky News. Otherwise, pretty much what you would expect from this chain.

Room hygiene issues...

by TripAdvisor Member johnserebeton

The lobby looked promising. The reception staff resemble the nightshift at local KFC. Room tidy, although at closer inspection quite dirty and worn out. Yellow stains on the mattress protector & pillowcase...nice. The buffet breakfast was shocking and overly expensive, no fresh fruit...everything was out of a can. You can find a lot better breakfast at a local cafe. Good location.

Nice, clean, small room, excellent location, friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member BridgetCalifornia

Stayed 3 nights in March 2008. Picked this location because
it was walking distance to everything. Took the bus from the
airport and walked 2-3 blocks to the hotel. Had taxi service
right out the door. Had an early morning flight and the staff
recommended a shuttle service. Walked to the cable car
to see the botanical gardens. Walked to the tourist area,
parliment building, train station. Rooms were clean, nice
staff, they were small, but we didn't care for the price.
Would recommend staying here. Staff was nice and knowledgeable. Did a lot of research and this place was
excellent for what we wanted to do.

Solid not spectacular

by TripAdvisor Member jeffrocowboy

This is a good choice hotel if you get a good price. The check in and lobby area is very presentable. I don't understand the comment in another post about it being like KFC (I just hope that is not a racist dig at the staff who were mainly of Indian origin). Thye were very efficient - and were handling a large number of conference guests who arrived at checkout time, as well as those who were checking out. I did not look at the food at breakfast or any other time - there are some many great eating places you could eat at - would suggest that these are going to be better than any hotel breakfast. Corridors and room not as well kept as lobby, with reasonably awful yellow pain dominating. Room simple but adequate and a reasonable size - certainly not a small room.

Very Basic & Small rooms - most expensive internet ever

by TripAdvisor Member LongHotelstayer

I am a corporate traveller and booked through the Accor website using the Institiue of Chartered Accountants Australia corporate rate and checked in at 1pm on a Saturday. I was allocated a very low level room on the 2nd floor right under the Ibis Accor $99 sign. The room was very small but clean. The Ibis Wellington used the Reivernet broadband connection which is both timed $33 for 24 hrs and capped at 100mb. Be warned, if you download anything it will use up the 100mb instantly and you will be slugged much more. Its mazing that a budget chain with prices around $99 will use this. Obviously to trap guests so they can getb their room artes up!!!!!!!! Also the Reivernet guess support number says its 24 hrs, but they never called me back within the 10 minutes that they say they should.

Check-in embarrassment!

Upon arriving at the Ibis recently, I was asked for my Credit Card despite explaining at the time of booking and paying, that I would not have a Credit Card with me at the time of Check-in. I was assured during a prior phonecall to the Hotel, that it wouldn't pose a problem seeing as the cost of my stay had already been paid by Credit Card.
At Reception, I was given two options: either pay $100 'deposit/bond' or be prepared to have the phone disabled for outgoing calls and have the Sky Movies facility turned off. I chose the latter. This did cause me some embarrassment at Check-in.
My room on the first floor was very clean and comfortable and I couldn't fault it in any way.
The location of the Ibis is perfect, within walking distance of shopping/restaurants and sights.
I would definitely stay there again and would hope for a hassle-free check-in!

Absolutely awful

by TripAdvisor Member Rainbow-Mum

I've stayed here three times, as it was booked through work, and it was awful. I refuse to stay there now and tell my boss, I'd rather not go on the conference if Ihave to stay there.

The walls were so thin, we could hear other people snoring. The lifts smelled like urine. We didn't hire any movies but you get the Spanish Inquisition at the Counter in the morning.

The staff often cant be understood, due to their lack of conversational English so they get frustrated as well.

The restaurant is OK for breakfast, but thats all thats good.

Comments