Alpha Motel Luxury Apartments

Alpha Motel Luxury Apartments
Agoda.com CheapTickets.com Booking.com

More about Christchurch

Golfing success!Golfing success!

The train waiting at the Christchurch stationThe train waiting at the Christchurch station

The indoor slides of QEII Park are outside...The indoor slides of QEII Park are outside...

View of the City Exhibition building.View of the City Exhibition building.

christchurch weather

by StephanB

I'm planning an around the world trip. My travels should bring me around New Zealand for April and May. Maybe April in the south and may on the north island. Will I catch the fall color change in and around Christchurch? Generally, what type of weather can I expect during those months? The cold doesn't bother me too much, especially because I'm going to the Cook Islands before, and probably Bali after.

Re: christchurch weather

by JulesTwo

When we were in Christchurch two years ago in April, the leaves were towards the end of changing and falling off the trees. It was comfortable with no need for a jacket when we were there. We could tell a difference though from the beginning of our trip and the end. We were there towards the middle of April at the beginning of the week it was milder, and by the time we came back a week later there was snow on the mountains.
Enjoy your time there. We had a nice time!
Julie

by StephanB

Thanks, any secret spots or towns that we shouldn't miss.

by JulesTwo

Well,I loved bungy jumping in Queenstown. :o)
One thing that we did out of Christchurch ws the Alpine Safari. We had the best time! You can look at www.alpinesafari.co.nz The Waimak Alpine Jet boat was really fun as was the Unimog. We were lucky that on the unimog part of the trip we were the only ones there. It was great! South of Christchurch we stayed at Larnach Castle ( in the old stable area) which was very nice. www.larnachcastle.co.nz We actually went in that direction because my husband loves penguins and there is a great facility close to there called the Yellow Eyed Penguin Conservation Reserve. www.penguin-place.co.nz . In general it is a beautiful country and you will love your time there!!
Julie

by StephanB

Thanks, I'll check out those sites. I can't wait to get there.

by allikat

Just as an aside, the trees that drop their leaves are those that have been introduced to New Zealand. Native trees and bush retain their green leaves all year. So at least you will know whats native and whats not!

Have a great trip :o)

Travel Tips for Christchurch

Statues (2): William Sefton Moorhouse

by Kakapo2

William Sefton Moorhouse was Superintendent of the Province of Canterbury from 1858-1862 and again from 1866-1868. His main achievement was bringing the rail tunnel through the Port Hills, linking Christchurch and Lyttelton, underway.

His statue, sculpted in London in 1885 by G. A. Lawson, is located in the Botanic Garden facing the western end of Hereford Street. It sits between the museum/Peacock Fountain and the Curator’s House (restaurant).

As Moorhouse Avenue is one of the four major roads around the City Centre the name should be familiar to you.

Paragliding

by rozehill

Paragliding and pilot instruction is available in Christchurch since 1991.
Tandem flights available for $120 Flying at the Scarborough Cliffs or Castle Rock you get awesome views of Christchurch city and the Canterbury plains.

Deans Bush: Native bush in the middle of the city

by Kakapo2

Deans Bush is a great place for picknicks or coffee at Riccarton House which is situated near the entrance of the reserve. But the spectacular thing about Deans Bush is that it is a fragment of original native bush in the middle of the city. The kahikatea forest has been protected by exotic trees that had been planted around and is about 600 years old. There is a nice loop walk on wooden boards and you can see and especially hear native birds.

Deans Bush is on Kahu Road in Riccarton, west of Hagley Park.

Riccarton House itself is a very spectacular historic building and worth a visit. The River Avon is running right in front of the building where you can feed ducks and sparrows, or just sit on one of the many benches and enjoy the peaceful surroundings.

Next to Riccarton House you find Deans Cottage which is named after one of the European pioneer families.

There are guided tours at Riccarton House every day at 2pm except Saturday, they take up to 90 minutes. Costs: Adults $10, children $5, family $25 (2 adults plus 2 or more children).

The park towards the road is dominated by huge old trees, mostly English oaks.

Many places to Eat

by fishandchips about North of the Square on Colombo St

North of the Square and over the River is a small area with many restaurants and cafes. There is a good assortment of styles, flavours and ethnicities so should be somewhere that you like to stop and eat. Mostly casual.

An oasis in the middle of Christchurch city

by Mariannka about The Lotus-Heart

When I entered the restaurant I felt I was on a different planet. The peace and serenity of the place grabbed me straight away. Then came the food which was absolutelly delicious every bit of it. Can't remember the names of the dishes but we had quiche, vegetable samosa, salad and sweets, and all of it was fantastic. The restaurant was started in order to support the local Sri Chinmoy meditation centre where they offer meditation classes for free. Salad, quiches, vegetable samosa and sweets

Comments