Elms Hotel

Quality Hotel Elms
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 52% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Christchurch

CHCH with the Southern Alps in the backgroundCHCH with the Southern Alps in the background

Protea, a winter beauty in the Botanic Garden.Protea, a winter beauty in the Botanic Garden.

At a 20/20 match against England at AMI Stadium.At a 20/20 match against England at AMI Stadium.

Messy nests high above the pond.Messy nests high above the pond.

Mosuitos/Flies (Visiting South Island in May)

by tomtang

Hi,

Thinking of visiting NZ's South Island in May. Is this a good season for visiting... I have pretty bad reactions to mosquitos and black fly bites so want to avoid the peak season.

Also I'm assuming that this is a decent time to visit for fall colors?

Thanks!
Tom

Re: Mosuitos/Flies (Visiting South Island in May)

by swissfondue

Hi Tom, mosquitos love me too! I'm not a local but have toured the South Island a couple of times.

I didnt have any issues with mossies in mid April, and yes the Autumn(Fall) colors were spectacular and there was an early dusting of snow on Coronet Peak and on the road into Milford Sound though this was a few years ago and quite unseasonal according to the locals.

I did get bitten a few times in October but I was camping out.

I think May should be fine, maybe early to mid May if you want to avoid any road closures or bad weather though VT South Island experts will be more specific about the seasons and what to expect.

Re: Mosuitos/Flies (Visiting South Island in May)

by Kakapo2

It surely is better than summer ;-))

The colder it is the better - because in cold weather the sandflies die. So there are good chances that you will not have problems in the normally most horribly affected areas like Milford and Doubtful Sounds, and everywhere in Fiordland.

The other hotspot - meaning: badly affected region - is the West Coast which has milder climate, so there could still be sandflies. Best you stay ON the glaciers, no problem there ;-)))

The same applies to Abel Tasman National Park which does not get terribly cold winters.

No problems along the east coast of the South Island.

How serious the problem is depends on the weather and what you do. When it is windy and you are walking the sandflies cannot bite you because they are too slow and too lightweight. In humid and overcast conditions the risk of being bitten is high.

There are no real problems with mosquitoes. Even in places where you find them, their bites are nothing compared to mosquito bites in other countries. And nothing compared to sandfly bites.

Best you always have some insect repellent at hand, so you can keep them away from you and avoid bites. In case you are bitten, I have found out that tiger balm stops the itching immediately and speeds up the healing.

Best you buy repellent in NZ.

If you are lucky you will not encounter any problems.

Can I please direct you to my New Zealand page. I have posted a huge write-up about sandflies with links to more info sites in the Warnings & Dangers section.

Travel Tips for Christchurch

Driving in New Zealand's South Island

by AusPinay

We started our trip to New Zealand's South Island from Christchurch. It is a beautiful city, more like an English country town as described in one of the travel shows here in Sydney.

It has a laid-back attitude, yet sophisticated and still friendly, especially to kids.

We rented a car, which turned out to be a 4 wheel drive new Toyota RAV to the delight of my kids. Our original choice ( not really the cheapest but fairly decent one as suggested by my travel agent) was not available so they gave us the supposedly more expensive one at the same rate I have paid. The trip was looking good already!

Driving at Christchurch was easy, same style as in Australia so no worries there! The lady at the rental car shop was very friendly and gave us a lot of maps to help us. Of course I was the navigator so it helped too,LOL! I can remember most fondly the peace and quiet, the lovely tree-lined streets ablaze with the colours of autumn (though we were there at the start of winter-early July) and the general safety we all felt when we were there.
It even looked much safer than Sydney!

The places we went to were clean, neat, organised, people are always smiling and helpful. Over-all a very satisfying trip.

We also drove to Queenstown which is a different story.

The visit to the Antartic Centre was the highlight of our travel there, also the exciting HAGGLUND RIDE!

Statues (4): Queen Victoria

by Kakapo2

Wherelse than on Victoria Square could you find Queen Victoria’s Statue? It is sitting about 50 metres from its original site.

It commemorates the Golden Jubilee of the founding of the Canterbury Settlement (1900) and is also a memorial to the 79 soldiers from Canterbury who died in the South African War (1900 - 1902).

The foundation stone was laid on 22 June 1901 by the Duke of Cornwall and York (who later became King George V), and the statue was unveiled on 25 May 1903 by the Mayoress, Mrs H. F. Wigram. The statue was crafted by the British sculptor Francis J. Williamson.

Sri Chinmoy - Fun Running

by fishandchips

The crew at Sri Chinmoy manage runs all over the world and include Christchurch in their locations. They stage around 8 runs per year with an ultra marathon (100K) in November each year. The location of the events varies between Hagley Park, Sumner and the Avon River Loop.

The runs are fun and you get breakfast (Pancakes with Apple sauce and Chai Latte or Hot Chocolate) at the conclusion. Prizes are given out for the top three places in each distance being run with separate mens and womens divisions plus children. There are also spot prizes drawn at random.

The cost of the 10K for Angie was $18 but you're best to check out the web site below for full details as each distance has a different fee.

NUGGET POINT

Continuing the...

by arkadia

NUGGET POINT

Continuing the trip to the Southlands, I reached THE CATLINS, a marvellous area, where in fact you would need more then a day to discover fully. Unfortunately I had to reach in time Invercargill but I made as much stops as I could. NUGGET POINT is one of them.

On the Lonely Planet book it says: it's a not-to-be-missed sidetrack. I fully agree with that.
From the Kaka Point you can turn left and drive on a gravel roud up to Nugget Point where you will find this little lighthouse on a island, that seems just not belonging to this world. The day I was there, the wind was so strong that I had to hold very tight not to be thrown downwards ending straight onto the fur seals colony. The animal life is amazing here. If you come in the right moment you can see Hooker's sea lions or elephant seals, yellow-eyed pinguins and little blue pinguins, gannets, shags, and more.

Open All hours

by rozehill about Christchurch Casino

This Casino was the first in New Zealand to open its door to the public in November 1994. This building follows an Egyptian based theme and is a privately owned boutique casino. It boasts 500 gaming machines, 37 tables, 3 bars, 2 restaurants and a private gaming lounge.
Open 24 hours a day.