Christchurch Hotels

Our Members Say

• Kate-Me profile photo Kate-Me
  • Reviews: 1688

Tunnel Vision Backpackers: Backpackers

Here's a view of the comfortable common room at Tunnel Vision where we had a great time getting to know 3 young Japanese visitors who were touring around NZ by car.
We tempted them into trying some of our vegemite, and much hilarity ensued. One thought it tasted a bit like Miso, which I think is the only reason the other 2 agreed to try it!
Their English was poor, but they were managing to get around, and having a great time, which was good to see.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written March 5, 2004

Tunnel Vision lounge room

• Lozza_9 profile photo Lozza_9
  • Reviews: 188

Amross Court Motor Lodge: Amross Court Motor Lodge

14 superior units, serviced daily:3 studio,1 spa unit. Fully equipped kitchen with microwave,cooktops,Sky TV,phone. Breakfast available, off street parking. The Rooms are basic but clean. This is ideal if you are staying for a few night.

Within 1km of Casino, city ans restaurants. Tariff: 2 persons from $80-$100; 2 bedrooms unit up to 4 persons from $125-$145. Your Hosts are Sharon & Russell Forbes.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written September 30, 2002

The Bedroom

• jag17 profile photo jag17
  • Reviews: 256

Orari B&B: Cute and Comfortable

I was very pleased with my stay at the Orari. Very cute and clean accomodations; friendly and helpful hosts; and walking distance to many attractions.

A beautiful lounge area with a fireplace, comfy chairs, couches, books and complimentary wine in the afternoons. A perfect way to end the day, and time to chat with other guests.

• Written January 3, 2007

Our Room

• al2401 profile photo al2401
  • Reviews: 1005

Amber Park Holiday Park: Well appointed

Amber Holiday Park is more than a campground. It is a site for caravans, campervans as well as tents. It also has tourist flats and studio appartments with various levels of service. It is part of the Kiwi chain which my mother and I used on or NZ road trip. If you pre-purchase a Kiwi card you are entitled to a discount on your accommodation and selected activities.

We chose self contained tourist flats/cabins with our own bathroom and kitchen facilities (in deference to my mother's age) but there are more basic units available with shared kitchen/bathroom facilities.

Clean spacious flat with comfortable beds and plenty of hot water.

Friendly and helpful hosts. Close to the city and a bus stop.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written July 23, 2012

Amber Park Holiday Park

• taxing profile photo taxing
  • Reviews: 54

In Wanaka, stay at River Run. ...

In Wanaka, stay at River Run. No doubt about it, the best. At the junction of the Clutha and the Cardrona Rivers.
NZ$280-390 plus $NZ80 per person for breakfast and dinner (well worth it). (US$130-184 plus $37 pp for meals)

River Run is about 2K out of town in a spectacular farm setting. The owner is a gourmet cook, there are trails, two rivers, and a beautiful bed and breakfast. Dinner is an event, and Lake Wanaka and the town of Wanaka are only a short ways away. There is a website, http://www.riverrun.co.nz/.

• Written August 25, 2002
Tip Photo

• wen_viaggio profile photo wen_viaggio
  • Reviews: 147

The Sherwood Manor in...

The Sherwood Manor in Queenstown. A simple ,low storey, 'chalet- looking' kind of hotel that faces the Alps. Situated on a hill, the hotel offers great views of Queenstown for guests. It has a small outdoor pool too.

• Opinion of Price:
  • Written August 26, 2002

• Kakapo2 profile photo Kakapo2
  • Reviews: 1858
Novotel and Marque Hotel: Two new hotels in the very city centre

Update March 2011

Really bad luck for these two newish hotels. They are both inside the cordoned-off Red Zone of the CBD in the aftermath of the February earthquake and therefore not accessible and available until further notice.

Two new hotels have opened in the very city centre in 2010. The Novotel is next to the Cathedral, and the Marque Hotel is just a stonethrow away in Gloucester Street.

The Novotel has 193 rooms and competitive rates. It is a modern tower building, incorporating the historic Warners Hotel that was first built in 1863.

The Marque Hotel is located in the city centre's tallest building. Some people complain that it overshadows the Cathedral and the views of the TV weather cam - but you will surely enjoy the views towards the Southern Alps and the Port Hills if you happen to stay in one of the rooms at an upper level. It is a modern hotel in a modern high-rise building.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written February 14, 2011

• wl1971 profile photo wl1971
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Rakaia Villas at Terrace Downs: Nightmare at Terrace Downs

To begin, when we arrived at the resort at 6:45 pm on Tuesday 23 March 2010, there was not a single soul in the entire resort that we could find. Having expected to be greeted by at least one person at the reception area, this came as a major surprise given that we had not received any communication from Rakaia Villas at Terrace Downs (the booking agent www.terracedownsvillas.com) as to which villa we were actually staying in. On arrival at the Terrace Downs clubhouse, we discovered a notice on the door indicating the resort has closed at 6pm (including the restaurant) and apologising for any inconvenience. Needless to say, this was an unexpected inconvenience as we had expected to dine there that evening! Luckily, I checked my mobile phone and we thankfully had one bar of signal. If there had been no signal, our only option would have been to return to Christchurch as we would not have been able to contact the booking agent. We actually had to ring the booking agent three times within half an hour to ascertain exactly where we were to stay.

During the half hour we waited to be informed that our pre-paid booking would be honoured, I phoned the booking service three times and was promised that the information as to our accommodation would be forthcoming by return phone call. Unfortunately, I was never called and eventually on my third phone call, we were finally informed of our villa number. Why this information was not offered to me by email prior to our arrival remains a mystery, particularly as there was no one at the resort to greet us.

Sadly, the problems experienced with the booking were simply the start of a horrid 48 hours at the accommodation. When we arrived, the one electronic key provided under the mat for four people was not actually required as the door was unlocked!! Despite several attempts to lock the door to secure our accommodation, we eventually gave up and before going to sleep, placed a chair at an angle under the door handle as the front door could not be locked.

On entering the apartment, we found it to be somewhat cold. At first we tried the gas fire but after several unsuccessful attempts gave up on this as well. We then turned our attention to the reverse cycle air conditioning, only to find that the batteries to the remote control were flat and there were no similar sized batteries in the villa. So cold, tired and extremely frustrated, we drove back to Darfield for dinner (as the Terrace Downs clubhouse had closed at 6:00 pm prior to our arrival without notice) and to buy some batteries for the remote control to the air conditioning.

Upon returning to Terrace Downs at approximately 8:30 pm, we brought the air conditioning to life and settled into a very unsatisfactory sleep given the events of the previous hours. The next morning only brought more frustration when we realised that only half a roll of toilet paper was supplied for four people between the two bathrooms. I then called the maintenance person to complain about the door lock, and he informed me that the batteries were most likely to be flat. He was indeed correct, and we used the batteries from our camera and the door lock finally worked. Unfortunately, the maintenance person was not able to assist us with the gas fire, despite the 20 minutes I spent with him on the phone trying to get the fire to work. In the end, it was in my phone conversation with the unit owner later that morning that we were informed the gas to the unit was turned off until after Easter. We had just decided to travel to Methven to purchase more batteries so that our camera and the door lock could work simultaneously, when to our complete surprise a second key arrived, courtesy of the owner's assistant, at approximately 1:00 pm.

At Methven, we purchased enough batteries to get us through the next 24 hours and several rolls of toilet paper. I must say that the toilet paper debacle was close to the final straw and we were very tempted to leave the unit and demand a complete refund.

On Thursday, I joined a number of colleagues for a game of golf. They had sensibly decided to stay in Christchurch rather than to chance it at Terrace Downs. Incredibly, following the game we retired to to clubhouse only to find that the bar had run out of clean glasses and we had to wait almost half an hour for a beer while the glasses were being washed as there was no one to staff the bar while the glasses were being washed!

On return to Australia, I negotiated a refund of the first night's stay with the owner of the unit. However, when the refund had not been paid within a few weeks of returning, I wrote to the owner seeking to clarify a date as to when it would be paid, only to be informed that he had changed his mind and withdrawn the offer. The complaint has now been referred to the NZ Ministry of Consumer Affairs and the NZ Tourism Board.

Overall, our experience at Terrace Downs was very unsatisfactory, and given the premium cost, our booking there is something that I deeply regret. The management of the resort is dysfunctional, the staff indifferent and the ownership structure of the unit we stayed in was disassociated with the resort proper so we could not enjoy any of the amenities at the resort without paying full fees (we only learnt this when we arrived). I could not in good conscience ever recommend that someone stay at this establishment and I will never be back. This was, quite simply, the worst accommodation that I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

The view. But this can be enjoyed for free on the road to Methven.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Road Trip, Luxury Travel, Golf
  • Written April 21, 2010

• richmonder63 profile photo richmonder63
  • Reviews: 22

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Top 10 Holiday Park Meadow Park: Campground near Christchurch

I spent a week here at the end of my New Zealand trip. It has an indoor pool, nice kitchen area, a lounge with cable television, and is located a walkable distance from downtown Christchurch. I put up my little tent in a small grassy area for $9US a night in December 2003. It is more of a caravan park than a campground with a lot of vehicles and people crowded into limited space, but it was still comfortable. It is very family oriented, often the mothers are very territorial in the kitchen area (attack of the elbows) and the pool area is overcrowded with small children.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Camping
  • Written January 11, 2008

My tent area

• Kakapo2 profile photo Kakapo2
  • Reviews: 1858
The Worcester: Five Star B&B for the Star in you

Update March 2011

Despite having walked past The Worcester two days ago I did not check out if it is closed or not after the February earthquake. It is neither on the closed or open accommodation list the city's tourist information centre has published. I will check out as soon as possible. In the meantime, please check with the owners who have not posted any update on their website.

I think Worcester Boulevard is a fantastic location, opposite the Arts Centre, just some steps from the Botanic Garden and three or four minutes from Cathedral Square, a quiet street although it is in the very city centre.

So I list this luxury B&B although I cannot afford it, just to give you an impression what is available, from hostel accommodation to five stars – and overpriced although very nice.

The heritage-listed Worcester is a two-storey Victorian style house full of antiques, and accordingly furnished.

Two super-king suites are available and come at a price.

Rates until 31 August 2008: $ 425 per room, extra person $ 175.
From 1 September 2008: $ 450 (185).
Rates include pre-dinner drinks and breakfast.

Address:
15 Worcester Boulevard

Contact:
Phone (03) 365 0936
Freephone (0800) 365 015
Website: www.worcester.co.nz
Email: info@worcester.co.nz

Note:
I have only stayed at some few places in Christchurch as I moved in rather fast with my husband ;-) But as so many people want accommodation tips I have looked around quite thoroughly, so I can give you hints about location, rates, reputation, and how easily you reach it from the city centre. In some cases I have also talked to people who have stayed at the places I have listed. The only thing I cannot really check is the service and the friendliness of the hosts/staff.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Architecture
  • Written June 18, 2008
Tip Photo

Luxury accommodation behind the fence.

• shavy profile photo shavy
  • Reviews: 865

Chateau on the Park: Beautiful Place

The Chateau on the Park is surrounded by 2 acres of peaceful gardens and its own vineyard. It features a restaurant, a bar and a fitness center.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written June 29, 2013

• Gillybob profile photo Gillybob
  • Reviews: 767

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Canterbury House: Homestay in Christchurch

Canterbury House is a homestyle backpackers which is location about a 10 minutes walk from central Christchurch. Alan and Keiko are your hosts and have good local knowledge and a selection of leaflets and information available.

Canterbury House is a refurbished bungalow with lawns and gardens around it, with a selection of dormitory rooms, as well as private single, twin and double rooms (these are provided with towels).

The house has two lounges which are cosy and comfortable, whilst the kitchen is fully equipped. Canterbury House is very popular with Asian students so the kitchen is also equipped with a rice cooker, chop sticks and miso soup bowls for Asian meals. The kitchen is also provided with tea, coffee, Milo and hot chocolate which you are welcome to make a drink and enjoy it in the large garden or in either lounge.

My single room was conveniently located, quiet and provided with hanging space as well as shelves. There were toilets (with wash-hand basins and towels) and three shower rooms, as well as an open-access wash-hand basin.

Canterbury House offers free use of the washing machine, a storage room and loan hair dryer. Free internet up to 50Mb per night is included. There is off-street parking and free transport to/from the city centre is avaialble by prior arrangement.

As this is a homestyle backpackers, you will find this is a quiet, home backpacker with welcoming hosts rather than busy hostel.

Located on Bealey Avenue, there is a pub next door, however, this was the only local eating establishment open in February 2014 (three years post-earthquakes).

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written June 21, 2014

Canterbury House Driveway

• joanj profile photo joanj
  • Reviews: 618

Park Royal: Excellent Hotel

This is an excellent 5* hotel, within easy walking distance of the city centre.

At the rear of the hotel, steps lead down to Victoria Gardens, where it is pleasant to sit and people watch. The River Avon winds past.

Laundry facilities,(free) which was a great hit with all of us on this 6 weeks tour of New Zealand, huge atrium, large lobby and foyer, 3 bars, 3 restaurants, and the breakfast buffet was exquisite.

Hotels guests have the use of bikes free of charge, and free newspapers in the morning.

cannot give you an idea of costs, as it was all included in the package.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written December 17, 2005

Park Royal

• NiftyN profile photo NiftyN
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

unit 4/155 Peterborough Street, Christchurch: Did not honour my confirmed booking

Deal with the current owner of this property (Daniel / WET SEAL) at your own risk!

I had confirmed bookings for 2 short stays. When I contacted the owner the month prior to the stay, response I received was ...

"I have been asked by my employer who owns the above property to inform you that due to the property going on the market they can no longer accept March bookings".

... hmmm ... why had I not been informed immediately?

... hmmm ... interesting that web sites indicate there is availability in March, including one of the periods I had booked. The other period showed as booked for a much longer period than my original booking.

... hmmm ... also interesting that this email came from a personal email address rather than the owner's business (WET SEAL) that had been used for all other correspondence.

... hmmm ... very interesting that a new booking request under another name including the second period I had booked received a response (from WET SEAL) indicating that the unit was available. ... hmmm ... very disappointing that I received no responses to my emails asking when the property went on sale & why I had not been notified that my booking could not (???) be honoured.

Draw you own conclusions from this, but as indicated above ... Deal with this owner at your own risk.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written February 14, 2006

• leonard.kowik profile photo leonard.kowik
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Abisko Lodge: Family home styled Lodge

Abisko Lodge is by far one of the best inn/lodge I have ever been in. Once you have entered the Lodge, you are given a warm welcome by the owner. The service has been tremendously helpful, the owner will make restaurant reservations, bookings and/or feed you with helpful information and tips. The Lodge offers different size of room depending of how many people will stay in one room. The rooms include standard household items such as comfortable beds, standard television and standard yet squeaky clean bathroom. The rooms are extremely comfortable with a friendly family home feeling. It feels just at home. The lodge includes a bar, breakfast, lunch and dinner area (not free), sitting down area which is right next to the bar and eating area, the sitting down area includes board games and a fire place (very cosy). The lodge also has a outdoor jacuzzi and sauna, although you have to make booking and pay, but it is a wonderful facility you can use if interested.

It has a unique family home feeling than any other hotel or inn I have ever stayed at. The lodge is extremely comfortable!

• Written December 26, 2012