Rydges Hotel Christchurch

Corner Oxford Terrace & Worcester Street, Christchurch, Christchurch-Canterbury, 4217, New Zealand

Good For No Data
  • worldkiwi's Profile Photo

Stay in the heart of Christchurch.

In September 2006, I had to attend a three day conference in Christchurch. My accommodation was arranged for me and when I decided to stay on a few days after the conference to explore this city I had never visited, I elected to remain at Rydges.
    In all, I was here for 6 nights and stayed in two different room types (a share twin during the conference and a standard while I was by myself).
    The hotel's central location, west of Cathedral Square, made it easy to get to our conference over in the Town Hall / Convention centre area. Later in the week, the location was great in terms of getting about Christchurch and enjoying this rich city.
    It's not often I stay in a hotel, especially in my own country, but I had a very nice stay in Rydges Christchurch and recommend it to anyone planning a week in Christchurch.
    If you're travelling as a couple, the 'standard' room would be a good deal. It has a queen-sized bed and plenty or space in the room. At NZ$111 per night it would be good value for a couple wanting a double. Considering I paid about this for a cheap motel in the US recently, foriegn visitors will find this hotel very well priced. I think the normal rate for a share twin (two queen sized beds) is about NZ$174, but check the Rydges website.

Unique Quality: I felt the hotel was looking a little ragged at some of its edges, but saying that, the staff here are fantastic. Genuine warmth and sincere hospitality are shown by everyone here, from the front desk to the cleaners. I was quite impressed about being greeted by everyone I came across in a way that was more than just obligatory. This sort of personal warmth by staff of a busy hotel to guests is a rare thing. If any big-wigs from Rydges are reading this, take note: your staff at Rydges Christchurch have either had some great professional development or you've got an incredible team. I was very very impressed and felt very welcome at this hotel.
    The second brilliant thing about this hotel is its location. Both my rooms had glorious views out over the Avon River and west towards the snow-topped Southern Alps. A huge number of heritage sights and shopping areas are a short walk away.

• HarShe's Profile Photo

Comfortable, central & cozy

Very well appointed and comfortable rooms. The central location is a great plus. The conseirge was very helpful. Washing facilities (coin machine) on the 2nd floor is a plus.

Unique Quality: Rydges Christchurch is situated in the heart of the Central Business District and overlooks the picturesque Avon River. Rydges Christchurch is within easy walking distance of the Christchurch Convention Centre, Cathedral Square and the Casino.

Directions: 10 kms from Chch International Airport (20mins driving time).

• dora_Heta's Profile Photo

Rydges Hotel

Has one in every major city such as Auckland.

Unique Quality: Good service, friendly especially porter 's really helpful !

More about Rydges Hotel Christchurch

Rydges Christchurch

by TripAdvisor Member lithlith

We stayed here for one night in July 2007 on a Globus Tour. The hotel is in a great location - center of the city. There are many shops and restaurants in the area. The hotel lobby looked nice, but I thought that the hallways and hotel room were a little worn. The room was clean for the most part, but you could see where the dust was building up around the edges of the room. We had breakfast at the hotel compliments of the tour group. There was a small breakfast buffet, nothing too shabby, but nothing over the top either.

Great views of the parks

by TripAdvisor Member FrequentFrier

I stayed at Rydges Christchurch for a night on business in March 2006 and was pleased by the location, room comfort and views - much more restful than most business hotels, looking out towards the parks. My room key did not work initially - but the front desk despatched a staff member to replace it promptly. I did not eat in the hotel - but the guests I saw coming out of the restaurant seemed satisfied. Some of the fittings in the room were a little old - but all worked well. I would stay here again if visiting Christchurch.

Bad service, Bad Experience, I would not stay here again

by TripAdvisor Member UKHoildayMaker

I stayed at Rydges Christchurch over the Christmas Hoilday. Having never been to New Zealand or Christchurch i was excited about seeing the country and looked forward to the Kiwi Warmth i had heard so much about. I found the Rydges on the internet and booked an executive room on the top floors of the hotel. After arriving after a long flight at the hotel my room was not ready to check into straight away which was ok, i had expected this at 9am. I left my luggage at the hotel and enquired as to how long it might be before walking around the city. When i returned back after the suggested 2.5 hours the room was still not ready so again i went out for another 2 hour walk. When i returned to the hotel still again not ready at 1:30. I'm a resonable person so i decided to go and take a city tour of Christchurch in the afternoon which kept me busy until about 5:30 PM. After returning to the hotel completly exhusted i was horrified to arrived and be told that the hotel was now overbooked on Executive rooms and i had been put into a standard room. I could not understand how after my arrival at 9am and return at 5:30pm this could have happened. I challanged this and was informed that "Reservations always overbooks us, you will have to go into this standard room". Being exhausted i eventually backed down and went to my room which although was nice in apperance had bubble gum stuck in the corner of the window, dirty pillowcases and hairs in the bathroom.

I ordered room service Soup and Toasted Sandwich which when arrived the soup was a little more than warm to cold. The toasted sandwhich which i had asked for on Brown bread with no cheese was on White bread with Cheese. I got a juice from the mini bar which while selecting noticed the lid had been opened and the seal was broken.

The next morning i decided after a terrible sleep i would check out early and go and stay elsewhere, when i went to check out i was given the third degree about early checkout and how i would have to pay for the nights accomodation. (Which i did not have to, it was only 8am)

All in all this hotel gave me one of the worst experiences i have ever had at any hotel. The service was horrible, the food was questionable and the warmth i was looking for(Execept one or two staff members)

Next time i would stay at the Millennium in Christchurch a superior Hotel.

Poor service; poor quality for executive rooms

by TripAdvisor Member SYD-YYZ

I have returned from my trip to Christchurch and wanted to share my experience of this hotel with you.

I was tossing up between a stay in an executive room at the Rydges or a deluxe room at the Classic Villa for 5nights. I decided to go with the former. Despite paying for the executive rate at Rydges, I was told I am not entitled to any of the executive extras such as free breakast, parking etc(except for the room itself) unless I pay an extra NZ$60 per night half way through my trip after I was told at breakfast that I had to pay the extra premium. This is already on top of paying an extra $60 for the executive room (over the standard room)!!!! This is despite ringing the hotel prior to my arrival to ensure I get all the executive extras and also on check-in and being confirmed that I would get all of the above. The manager I complained to about this was not helpful. I have also made a complaint on my return on their post-stay evaluation form but have not yet heard a reply and that was almost 2 months ago!

I have stayed on executive floors in other hotels such as Crowne Plaza and Hiltons around the world (I travel a lot for work) and have never had this experience before. The location for the Rydges CHC is great I agree but for the price and value I would stay elsewhere next time.

A good start to the holiday

by TripAdvisor Member TJ-7

We arrived at the Rydges hotel at 9.00 a.m. after a 27 hour flight from the UK. As expected our room wasn't ready but the reception staff were great. They suggested where we might go for a leisurely stroll and breakfast, and said they would phone us as soon as our room was ready. They did this and we were in room before noon.

We'd booked an executive room at the top of the hotel. The room was quiet and well equipped. It was a perfect place to rest up and get acclimatised for two days after the long trip. The service was good throughout the whole of our stay.

We'd stay here again.

No Thanks.

by TripAdvisor Member ocalllo

This hotel is not up to scratch at all. Ok so it is in a great location in town but that’s it. I totally agree with other’s this is not a hotel I will be returning too. It is extremely run down and in bad need of some updating, its like an old travlelodge.
I will say we found the staff to be pleasant but the noise from the street kept us awake.
Overall I would not recommend this hotel, although Christchurch itself is great and with a great night life we will be back – but not to the hotel!!

Great location, Can be Noisy

by TripAdvisor Member NaMakani

My wife and I stayed here for three nights in February, ‘07. The Rydges is an attractive, modern chain hotel that has a great location at the corner of Worcester (on the tram route) and Oxford Terrace (which parallels the Avon River) and its selection of restaurants. The bridge at this intersection is one of the most picturesque in Christchurch, and rooms on the upper floors have views either toward the river and Worcester bridge or toward the cathedral, which is a short walk away. Most tourist sites are within easy walking distance. We arrived by train from Picton and also took the Trans Alpine service to Arthur’s Pass. The train station is some distance from the center of town and requires a taxi/van ride. We departed by bus to Queenstown, and the bus terminal is a 15 minute walk on the other side of Cathedral Square or a short taxi ride.

Our room (#213), though on the river side of the hotel, had very little view because it was so low. A minor complaint is that even though we booked months ahead and requested a room on an upper floor, our request wasn’t honored. We suspect this is because the hotel is popular with tour groups, who reserve large blocks of rooms and therefore get priority.

The room was large, bright, and nicely furnished in a modern style. There were two comfortable queen beds, quiet and efficient a.c. , desk, dresser, closet – lots of storage space. Two soft reading chairs with a table were near the windows. The tiled bathroom was large, with a tub/shower combination and adequate counter space. Our room could be joined with the adjacent room to form a suite. Usually this isn’t a problem, but the connecting door was poorly sound insulated and we could hear every noise our neighbors made very clearly. Fortunately the room was occupied only briefly during our 3-night stay, otherwise this might have been a serious problem. It is a surprising flaw in a modern, recently constructed building. We would advise trying to request a quiet room.

Despite a couple of shortcomings, the Rydges is a comfortable hotel in an excellent location, and we recommend it strongly.

Comments