Mount Cook Hotels

Our Members Say

• imolinar profile photo imolinar
  • Reviews: 17

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mt Cook Backpacker Lodge: Too basic and overpriced

The only great thing about the hotel was the excellent views of the mountains and the "price" compared to the other expensive hotels in Mt Cook village.

We have a double ensuite, and it was pretty basic, not even phone to talk to the reception. The place was recently refurbished but it still looked very old to me.

There is not reception 24 hours, nothing is free not even water or coffee, actually they are not even available at the hotel.I was so thirsty the whole night but nowhere to buy a simple bottle of water.
It seems they only care about their bar which was the only place you could get food from, for breakfast there is not other place but the overpriced heritage hotel restaurant (not very good when you are on a budget).

I would recommend anyone to stay somewhere else besides mt cook village, rent a car and come for the day. The whole town is a monopoly, there is no place to eat except the expensive restaurant at the heritage.

Great views

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: National/State Park, Budget Travel
  • Written November 24, 2010

• I-Believe-I-Can-Fly profile photo I-Believe-I-Can-Fly
  • Reviews: 399

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mount Cook YHA: Budget stay in Mount Cook National Park

We boarded the same coach to continue our way to Queenstown. Our coach stopped at Mount Cook YHA to pick up several guests. It is a budget place to stay in the area and very popular with the backpackers. It seems a fun place to stay and affordable too...

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written May 24, 2006

• traveller0070 profile photo traveller0070
  • Reviews: 113

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Alpine Lodge: Alpine Lodge

At Mt Cook there are a few accomodations like YHA, expensive Hermitage.. etc.. Through the Visitor centre, we were introduce Alpine Lodge which was just newly built and open few months ago. The price was slightly pricy for backpackers, but with the view of Mt Cook, the price is worth it, compare to YHA which is not as new as Alpine lodge and Hermitage which is too expensive for us.

We stayed in a 4 beds room dorm. no nice window view but with a toilet in the room. There is a twin room on the ground flr with window view of Mt Cook. Kitchen and resting around are also on the 2nd flr. big, clean and new, neat.

highly recommanded for mid value stay.

From the kitchen and shared resting room, you can view the Mt Cook. View is simply stunning. Enjoyed my breakfast looking at the mountain.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average