The Hermitage Hotel

2Cities1Love's Profile Photo

Discover Mt Cool

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 15, 2007

The hotel is an an awesome spot and givee you the feeling of insiginificance with the mountains to one side and the vast plains on the other.

Unique Quality: The view is what it's all about here. Only thing missing was air conditioning. We had a warm night and had to leave the balcony door open. Which doesnt sound much but when you get eaten by sand flies it's a killer.

I-Believe-I-Can-Fly's Profile Photo

Luxury stays in Mt. Cook National Park

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 24, 2006

Unique Quality: Our Great Sights coach dropped us off just in front of the Hotel Hermitage which monopolizes the rest of accommodation in the park. During the day, the hotel is very crowded with its guests who stay or just having lunch there. Mt. Cook National Park only has two places to stay... one hotel and one hostel. Accommodation and food options in the village are very limited and pricey.

Canadian_Traveler's Profile Photo

Hermitage Mt. Cook - Over-rated

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 5, 2004

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed by Mt. Cook. Many people told me it was a 'must see' so we saw...and that was about it.
We were quite surprised to find that pretty much all of the hotels, chalets, motels in Mt. Cook were actually owned by the same company and that our options were pretty limited (besides the hostel).
We decided to splurge and stay at the Hermitage. It was the most expensive hotel we stayed in in NZ and oddly enough, was also our least favourite. We both agreed that we wished we had skipped Mt. Cook after all. While we had a good time, it just wasn't what we had expected. It was far too 'stiff' for our taste and just didn't have the friendly atmosphere that New Zealand is so famous for.
The buffet at the Hermitage, though good, was our least favourite meal in New Zealand as well. There was nothing bad about it but nothing to write home about either...and for the price, you might expect it to be.
Service was good...not great and for the most part, service in NZ is great.

Unique Quality: We got a mountain view room and the view was quite nice but again, we were surprised that it actually wasn't even as nice as the view from the room we stayed in for 1/2 the price in Queenstown. The room and the halls had a strange odour (which my husband called cat pee). I thought it smelled medicinal.
Overall we got a very stuffy feeling during our stay at the Hermitage...nothing cozy about it, which is really too bad since it was cold outside and we were on the 2nd last night of our honeymoon.
In the end I would have to say that I would not stay at the Hermitage again but I also would not likely return to Mt. Cook. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh but truthfully...we're not very picky people, it just doesn't deserve a good rating in my opinion.

victorwkf's Profile Photo

The only hotel in Mount Cook National Park

by written on April 25, 2004

I did not stay at the Hermitage Hotel, but you would have to stay here as this is the only hotel in the national park. From the information available, this is a 5 star hotel so it should be up to standard but probably very expensive.

rozehill's Profile Photo

Majestic Scenery

by written on May 15, 2003

Every room in the new Aoraki wing offers a superb night's sleep and great lavishness. From each immense picture window comes the perfect opportunity to witness the privileged moment when the first rays of light touch the white of the peak and night turns into day.
The 60 new Aoraki Wing rooms and the 104 Hermitage Superior rooms offer scenic views of the surrounding mountains, with 143 offering spectacular views of Mount Cook. All rooms have bathrooms, tea and coffee making facilities, TVs, and phones. Sauna facilities are also available for the use of in-house guests (not available during winter). Also located within this building are a Souvenir Shop and clothing outlet, a coffee shop, two restaurants and bar.

Unique Quality: Pure Luxury at $150.00 NZ - $540.00 NZ per night

• Shuttle Service
  • Airport Transportation
  • Bar / Lounge

Mount Cook Travel Forum

Need advice about Mount Cook, New Zealand? Visit the Travel Forum for Mount Cook and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Mount Cook
Sealy Tarns
Sports & Outdoors
Food with million dollar view
Restaurants
Lake Blue
Off The Beaten Path
Awarded 'World Heritage'
Things to Do
Sheeps, sheeps, everywhere .....
Binoculars
Sir Edmund Hilary Statue
Lake Pukaki
Viewing Mount Cook from the road
The road into Mount Cook/Aoraki
Off The Beaten Path
The general area
Favorites
Flights, hikes, horserides or skiing!!
Sports & Outdoors