Terrace Road, Mt. Cook Village, New Zealand

Otel.com

• 2Cities1Love's Profile Photo

Discover Mt Cool

The hotel is an an awesome spot and givee you the feeling of insiginificance with the mountains to one side and the vast plains on the other.

Unique Quality: The view is what it's all about here. Only thing missing was air conditioning. We had a warm night and had to leave the balcony door open. Which doesnt sound much but when you get eaten by sand flies it's a killer.

• I-Believe-I-Can-Fly's Profile Photo

Luxury stays in Mt. Cook National Park

Unique Quality: Our Great Sights coach dropped us off just in front of the Hotel Hermitage which monopolizes the rest of accommodation in the park. During the day, the hotel is very crowded with its guests who stay or just having lunch there. Mt. Cook National Park only has two places to stay... one hotel and one hostel. Accommodation and food options in the village are very limited and pricey.

• Canadian_Traveler's Profile Photo

Hermitage Mt. Cook - Over-rated

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed by Mt. Cook. Many people told me it was a 'must see' so we saw...and that was about it.
    We were quite surprised to find that pretty much all of the hotels, chalets, motels in Mt. Cook were actually owned by the same company and that our options were pretty limited (besides the hostel).
    We decided to splurge and stay at the Hermitage. It was the most expensive hotel we stayed in in NZ and oddly enough, was also our least favourite. We both agreed that we wished we had skipped Mt. Cook after all. While we had a good time, it just wasn't what we had expected. It was far too 'stiff' for our taste and just didn't have the friendly atmosphere that New Zealand is so famous for.
    The buffet at the Hermitage, though good, was our least favourite meal in New Zealand as well. There was nothing bad about it but nothing to write home about either...and for the price, you might expect it to be.
    Service was good...not great and for the most part, service in NZ is great.

Unique Quality: We got a mountain view room and the view was quite nice but again, we were surprised that it actually wasn't even as nice as the view from the room we stayed in for 1/2 the price in Queenstown. The room and the halls had a strange odour (which my husband called cat pee). I thought it smelled medicinal.
    Overall we got a very stuffy feeling during our stay at the Hermitage...nothing cozy about it, which is really too bad since it was cold outside and we were on the 2nd last night of our honeymoon.
    In the end I would have to say that I would not stay at the Hermitage again but I also would not likely return to Mt. Cook. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh but truthfully...we're not very picky people, it just doesn't deserve a good rating in my opinion.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo

The only hotel in Mount Cook National Park

I did not stay at the Hermitage Hotel, but you would have to stay here as this is the only hotel in the national park. From the information available, this is a 5 star hotel so it should be up to standard but probably very expensive.

• rozehill's Profile Photo

Majestic Scenery

Every room in the new Aoraki wing offers a superb night's sleep and great lavishness. From each immense picture window comes the perfect opportunity to witness the privileged moment when the first rays of light touch the white of the peak and night turns into day.
    The 60 new Aoraki Wing rooms and the 104 Hermitage Superior rooms offer scenic views of the surrounding mountains, with 143 offering spectacular views of Mount Cook. All rooms have bathrooms, tea and coffee making facilities, TVs, and phones. Sauna facilities are also available for the use of in-house guests (not available during winter). Also located within this building are a Souvenir Shop and clothing outlet, a coffee shop, two restaurants and bar.

Unique Quality: Pure Luxury at $150.00 NZ - $540.00 NZ per night

Directions: Aoraki Mount Cook Alpine Village

More about The Hermitage Hotel

Mount Cook - South Island

by keeweechic about The Hermitage – Mt Cook

The Hermitage is nestled in a great setting with views of spectacular mountain scenery in the Aoraki Mt Cook National Park. Top class accommodation with 143 offering spectacular views of the mount. The hotel has recently had a $15m renovation. There are sauna facilities coffee shop, two restaurants and a bar along with a Souvenir Shop and clothing outlet.

Hermitage Hotel Mount Cook.

by richiecdisc about Hermitage Hotel Mount Cook.

It was around 100 NZ$ or $50 US at the time. It may have gone up but nowhere to stay as convenient and if you have a group well worth it. A great splurge for couples too. A great chatet all to yourself with breathtaking views of Mt. Cook right through your window. Kitchen and sleeps six so great for families. Free use of sauna and hottubs! Great after hiking.

stunning

by TripAdvisor Member UKBubbles

Don't be put off by the first sight of this hotel, it has to blend in with the surroundings. We had a chalet with a "bus on demand" to take us to the main building. Wonderful spot. The chalets were lovely inside with laundry facilities close by, even had washing powder "on tap". The views were stunning. Pre book the Panorama Restaurant with a window table if possible. Well worth it.

Awesome Panorama Restaurant

by TripAdvisor Member Donegaltourist

Stayed at the Hermitage hotel with my husband as part of a tour group for one night on St Valentines night. The rooms are drab and in need of updating, there is no airconditioning so it gets very hot. The hotel has a confusing number of different levels however, all the negative things were forgotten when we ate dinner in the Panorama restaurant which has an excellent view of Mount Cook. (We were lucky enough to have lovely weather). Anyway, the ladies were all presented with a red rose each on arrival in the restaurant and it got even better as the evening progressed. It was the best meal and the best service we experienced in NZ. The A La Carte menu had an excellent choice and as a vegetarian there was also plenty to choose from. The food, service and presentation was out of this world. We had a magical evening and I doubt if any other Valentine's night in my life will compare with the level of 5* food and service we had that evening. The whole meal was superb from start to finish. The breakfast selection was also excellent. Congratulations/compliments to the chefs and staff of the Hermitage.

Love the Chalets

by TripAdvisor Member romab

I stayed in one of the chalets for two nights and had a wonderful time. A short path takes you from the chalets to the main hotel (a bus is available if you prefer). I was lucky to find myself in one of the chalets with fabulous views of the montain/glacier (when the cloud cleared!)
The chalets are self catering and seem capable of sleeping up to 6 people (as long as they have no luggage - space is limited). The room rate includes breakfast at the coffee shop which is more than adequate but for $10 you can upgrade to cooked breakfast. We were also given vouchers of $10 per person per day off the cost of food and drink in the hotel.
Just a couple of tips:-
1. If you intend to use the self catering facilities bring your own food as there is nowhere to buy supplies in the national park.
2. The petrol station in Mount Cook will only accept NZ issued credit cards and if you want to pay cash you have to go throuth reception at the hotel and pay a surcharge. Fill up at Twizel to avoid this complication.
3. The weather can be unpredictible and the cloud often slow to lift, try to stay two days to give yourself a better chance of enjoying the breathtaking views.

Comments