Sequoia Lodge

3a Nelson Square, Picton, New Zealand
Sequoia Lodge
HostelBookers.com Hostelworld.com Booking.com

More about Picton

Overlooking the portOverlooking the port

The huge building of Picton AirportThe huge building of Picton Airport

A wild manuka tree on the Snout with Picton hiddenA wild manuka tree on the Snout with Picton hidden

1st Green1st Green

Travel Tips for Picton

Hiking on the Queen Charlotte

by rozehill

Immerse yourself in the area's natural charms by exploring the Queen Charlotte Track.
The 67km spectacular walking track, stretching from historic Ship Cove to Anakiwa, passes through lush coastal forest, around coves and inlets, and along skyline ridges offering breathtaking views of the Queen Charlotte and Kenepuru Sounds.
You can walk the entire track over four days or enjoy a short walk depending on your timetable. Just ensure you are well prepared. As for any walk in New Zealand, always you take sturdy, broken-in footwear, a warm jersey, a parka and a water bottle. If you are staying overnight, take a tent. Always make sure you tell someone responsible where you are going and when you expect to return.

And the journey begins....

by bali_junkie

"Picton"

Got off Picton around noon to pick up the train tickets. We had around an hour before the train arrived, so we had a time to explore a bit of Picton. Hmmmfff, already craving for real asian meals, lunch was a bit of a disaster. Kiwis food are still way too bland for me. Second option would be fast food joints, KFC or McD, which of course don't exist here.

I've never sat this long on a train before. This by far, the longest train ride I've ever had. TI was a 5-hour ride. Whahahaha.... thank God my babe was there with me, otherwise I would definitely have gone insane hearing the entire conversation of the two groups sitting behind us - a German old grandma who loudly shared the story of her life, which was very very very long... she hasn't finished when we got off the train. The other one was a group of Americans *you know how loud they can be* sharing their "amazing" travel stories, always topping up one another. I felt like I'm tuning into one of those "marathon amazing race" program on AXN.

At one point I reached the "I've had enough of this" and just tuned out completely, they're voices simply become incomprehensible gibberish. Christchurch was the last stop. Whoa, finally! Train ride was interesting but I wouldn't do it again, no thanks! Now, this is the city that seems livable.

The next morning were a bit easy, we didn't get up until late. No tight schedule. All we needed to do was to pickup our campervan at Maui, near the airport. We got the 4 berths campervan, a bit more space than we needed, but kitchen was just perfect!!! Full cabinets of cutleries, pots, plates, bowls and glasses. Tiny fridge that fits just enough for the road. The next thing was stock up for the road.

South Island, here we come!

Pretty Picton

by rozehill

"North of the South Island"

At the head of Queen Charlotte Sound, nestled between the mountains and the sea is Picton. European settlement of this area began in the 1840s and many of the early buildings still grace the waterfront and wide streets of Picton.

Comments