89 Thompson Street, Queenstown, 9300, New Zealand

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Queenstown

Amazing views!Amazing views!

WinniesWinnies

What a view!What a view!

Lake Wakatipu at GlenorchyLake Wakatipu at Glenorchy

White Water Kayaking: current river reports

by randysf

Is there any up to date reporting on how high the rivers are and how they are running say from Queenstown up to Hokitika? If so, where would I find it? Much obliged!

Re: White Water Kayaking: current river reports

by Kakapo2

You have to look on the regional Environment pages, for example:

Environment Canterbury http://www.ecan.govt.nz/Our+Environment/Water/Rivers/RiverFlows/river-flow-table.htm

Otago Regional Council (www.orc.govt.nz) --- This is the page for the Queenstown region:

West Coast (Westland) --- West Coast Regional Council

Re: White Water Kayaking: current river reports

by randysf

Thanks a lot! Very helpful.

Travel Tips for Queenstown

Browse the shops at Arrowtown

by balhannah

We were at Arrowtown on a wet day, so this meant popping in and out of every possible shop here!

One of my favorites was the "Remarkable Sweet shop", I just love these shops that are full of "old fashioned" lollies, all lined up in their glass jars! What to buy is the problem, the choice was too great!

For Dutch people, they sell Dutch licorace here, so this was a good gift for me to take back home to some Dutch friends! There is so much, take a look at their website on what they have to offer.

There were lots of shops selling nice woollen sweaters and other clothing, quite expensive prices, just looked as we didn't need the winter Woolies.
In one clothing shop, these cute little stuffed Bunnies were on display, I don't think the shop assistant was too happy that I asked for a photo, but didn't buy anything! It was all too expensive!

Food

by naturalmystic82

Ah New Zealanders are renowned for their sheep, but its a little hard to order lamb off the menu when you have been seeing lambs running around all day - actually Otago and the Queenstown area is now becoming a major wine district, apparently has very good conditions for it, New Zealand cuisine is actually advancing alot from the meat and two veg. of before, we had really good seafood throughout he trip

Skiing, Partying and Winter Festival in Queenstown

by Kakapo2

Queenstown does not hibernate during the freezing cold season. On the opposite. Although the only ever world cup races in alpine skiing held in New Zealand have taken place at Mt. Hutt near Methven (Christchurch) and more international ski stars have their training camps at Treble Cone near Wanaka, Queenstown surely is the country's wintersport capital.

This does not mean that Queenstown has fantastic skifields as the Remarkables and Coronet Peak but also the Après Ski party atmosphere which surely is not everybody's cup of tea, and celebrates the Lindauer Winter Festival. Started in 1975, it incorporates open air parties and concerts, on slopße competitons and events, art, ice-hockey, jazz and boogie nights etc. Let's say it like this: It is not the greatest time for peace loving people ;-)

Coronet Peak is only 18kms from Queenstown on the Gorge Road to the Shotover and has a fully sealed access road to the lifts. For those who do not want to drive there are regular shuttle services.

Across the valley is the Remarkables Mountain Range. Towering peaks shelter three bowls with huge areas for skiing and snowboarding. Three quad-chains, one magic carpet and a beginner tow transport the skiers up the slopes. As the Remarkables are north-facing the ski areas are sunnier than on Coronet Peak.

Winter in Queenstown officially runs from 1 June until 30 August. The traditional opening of the ski fields is Queen's Birthday in June, and often the ski fields are open until early October. So the safest months are July and August.

In 2007, for example, Coronet Peak opened on 11 June because there were no early snowfalls and snowmaking could not start; the Remarkables followed later. You never know the exact dates. Check the nzski website for dates and snow conditions.

The Queenstown Winter Festival 2009 will be from 26 June until 5 July.

Hidden lakeside off Frankton

by bali_junkie

It was almost 11pm by the time we finished dinner. Too late to get a spot in holiday park. We drove around finding nothing. Luckily babe decided to go by a lake side in Frankton. It was a great choice!

It was tucked away from the crowd, great view of the lake and the next morning we woke up to the family of ducks swimming nearby. They joined us for breakfast, sort of, fighting for bread crumbs leftover. At one point, the ducks got too friendly and started to follow Mike around, begging for more crumbs. I thought I'd join them for a swim, although Mike tried to convince me that the water was still freezing cold at this time of the year.

I made a bet with him, I said I'd swim. It wasn't a bluff. He called the bet and said he'd put his money on it. Hehehhe, and guess who lost? I did jumped into the lake. It was like an instant brain freeze, only this went throughout my whole body. It was FREEZING COLD!! The coldness numbed my mind and the rest of my system, I just automatically swam quickly across and back, while the other campers on the other side obviously saw me jumped in. I heard them laughing. The best thing after the swim, was sitting in the sun with a warm coffee in my hand. Mike made it for me....

Good place to start

by jtkuga about Buffalo Club

We started out most nights at Buffalo Club because our hostel had a deal with them that if we showed them our room key we would get buy one get one free on beers and I believe some well liquor drinks. The place has a fire going and is a decent place to be, but still number 3 on my list behind World Bar and altitude. If you are looking for a more laid back night, then Buffalo club might be right for you.

Comments