Aspen Lodge Backpackers

11 Gorge Road, Queenstown, 9300, New Zealand

More about Queenstown

William Rees & his sheepWilliam Rees & his sheep

WinniesWinnies

Gourmet seafood selectionGourmet seafood selection

GlenorchyGlenorchy

Horse riding in Queenstown

by chuidavid

Hi, I will only have one day free in Queenstown, but I have some activities would like to join. I probably will join the Shotover Jet plus one more activity.

Is it worth to join "The Ride Of The Rings" by Dart Stables? Is the scenery of Lord of the Rings in Glenorchy majestic?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

by Kakapo2

Glenorchy is a wonderful place, and the region is wonderful. The word majestic surely applies to the area.

I have seen some people riding around on horses some weeks ago when I was there. What I found strange was that they rode on the road and not in the vast empty land. Cannot tell though if they were from Dart Stables. The region is perfect for tours on horseback - I just wondered why they had to be on the road. Depending on which tracks they take you could end up in the dust of passing cars, as the roads leading to Paradise and further along the Routeburn road are unsealed.

I would check out with Dart Stables.

Another word about Glenorchy. To me, it is the most beautiful place in the Queenstown region, so remote and unspoilt. It is always a highlight to drive those 44 km along Lake Wakatipu and then venture out into the wilderness. My second choice would be a Skippers Canyon Tour.

by JohanIsWeg

You can also consider a Dart River Funyak safari!

by chuidavid

Thanks for your reply.

As Kakapo2 mentioned, should I take the 4WD (Jeep) tour instead?

Thanks again.

by Kakapo2

Funyak can be fun. However, I think the best tour would be the Wakatipu Lord of the Rings Tour from Queenstown with Nomad Safaris. They go to Skippers Canyon, some way up to the Remarkables, part way up Coronet Peak (on the way to Skippers Canyon), Arrowtown, you will be gold panning. I think it is a great tour if you do not have a lot of time in the Queenstown region and do not know it yet. The Funyak Tour (jetboat, kayak, 4WD) is in the Glenorchy area. As said, the area is wonderful but the LoR Tour from Queenstown is more diverse.

You would have enough time to venture to Glenorchy on your own after or before the LoR Tour in Queenstown. The Shotover Jet is just a matter of one hour. So you could do it all on a nice day.

Be assured, all those tours are great.

If you have a look at my Queenstown page you will find a lot of info about the LoR Tour. Unfortunately I have not have time yet to post all my Glenorchy info and photos. Sorry for that. When will you be there?

And I am sure Johan will give us feedback about the Funyak Tour after he will finally have done it :-)

Travel Tips for Queenstown

Main Town Pier and Info Kiosks

by Kakapo2

The Main Town Pier next to the small beach (Marine Parade) is the place to book your trips on the Kawarau Jet. The trips with this jetboat company also start here, as does the adventure activity of Paraflights. (BTW Kawarau Jet has got a competitor with jetboat rides on the Kawarau River, Thunderjets. They are just developing a website, contact details are already available on http://www.thunderjetqueenstown.co.nz/)

Just around the corner, towards the Boardwalk/Steamer Wharf, is another kiosk where you can book all kinds of activities, like Fishing Charters, Sightseeing Trips and Family Functions.
The place where you can book everything, however, is the Visitor Centre. There are even two offices at the intersection of Shotover Street and Camp Street, located diagonally opposite each other.

Most of the major tourism operators have offices in this area, especially in Shotover Street which is parallel to Beach Street.

Info & Track
Phone:+64 (0)3 442 9708
Fax:+64 (0)3 442 7038
Address:
37 Shotover Street
Queenstown
Email: adventure@infotrack.co.nz
Web: www.infotrack.co.nz

More info sites are listed on this website:

Jump first, ask questions later.

by worldkiwi

If you are aged between 18 and 25, I get the feeling that it is a local custom in this place to make sure you jump off the tallest, scariest thing around, where you can get a t-shirt afterwards and a souvenir photo! I'm glad I don't fall into the age group most affected by this strange habit.
In all seriousness though, it does seem to be a prevailing custom amongst tourists here to seek out as many thrilling activities as their wallets will allow and have a go. It's kind of infectious. I did consider doing the paragliding... it looked pretty cruisy and serene actually. Maybe if I go back (and have a little more spending money) I might try it.

Let us take to the air

by grets

You catch a wind and walk forward until the ground disapperas underneath you - and you are airborne! Noemally, from the Gondola, the flight lasts 7-8 minutes, we are up for over 20 minutes! What an incredible experience! We cathc a thermal, drift up and slightly across, just hanging around, cicling aove the ridge - wow!

Leave Queenstown Early

by Aidy_p

As Jac and I had booked the 1pm boat ride in Milford Sound at our motel, we had to pace ourselves as it would take us about 5-6 hours drive from Queenstown. We also wanted to leave early so that we can leave the tourist buses in our wake and ensure that the places that we visit are now swamped with tourists as most, if not all of the tourists start their trip from Queenstown.

Actually, as we were leaving, many tour buses went past our motel towards Milford Sound.

Sheep Shearing Demonstration

by cnango about In the Shed at Walter Peak Homestead

In the Shed at Walter Peak Homestead we saw a sheep shearing demonstration. The man speaking was funny as well as informative so we had a lot of laughs. After the wool was sheared off the sheep we proceeded outside. We then enjoyed an amazing demonstration of how the sheep dogs round up the sheep after responding to different whistles from their master. It was a good show and we then proceeded back to the Earnslaw for the cruise back after dark under the stars and with Queenstown all lit up when we returned to Steamers Wharf.

Comments