Cnr Stanley & Sydney Streets, Queenstown, New Zealand

More about Queenstown

Lake WakatipuLake Wakatipu

Hot chocolateHot chocolate

Cinema ParadisoCinema Paradiso

End of the trackEnd of the track

by kelfran

Can anyone tell me if it is worth taking a tour into Skippers Canyon..if so
who is the best tour operator to book with.

Thanks Kel

by kiwi

Well that is a hard question as one persons view of it's "worth" can be vastly different to another. I love that part of the country. Are you going in summer or winter. I went with a motorbike operator, I found it too hard to view the scenery at times while trying to keep up with the young guns in our group. My nerves weren't as tough as theirs :-)
The road drops away and it requires attention while on a motorbike naturally.
Most operators in this part of NZ are honourable as any cowboys just don't survive. I would take whoever you find suits your purpose via google. Have you found any yet?

Re: Skippers Canyon

by 2Cities1Love

LoL we never went up there as the pics we saw it looked a real scary road lol.
OMG winter time would be even more scary Kiwi hahaha.

by kiwi

I have a story about my trip on my pages somewhere, but I can't find it hahahaha!!

by kiwi

The motorbike trip I did was several years ago, but I've been back since. My page needs rebuilding by the looks. Here is that trip:

Re: Skippers Canyon

by allikat

I just reviewed your travelogue and decided my 2005 comment is still applicable! I would love to see Skippers Canyon, but I would want to walk there under my own steam!

Travel Tips for Queenstown

Get up early and take photos.

by kiwi

Some of the best photos are taken early morn or late evening. I thoroughly recommend that you get up and out early with your camera and capture this amazing area on 'film' or memory stick. I particularly love the range known as The Remarkables. I love the skyline so rugged and interesting. I love the way the mountains change colour at this time of day, as you can see here in the photo with the gentle pink hues and the fog and cloud to give a soft effect.

Paragliding Above Queenstown

by Kilfane

Jump off the top of Ben Lomond Scenic Reserve and Paraglide into Queenstown below. The ride takes about 15-20 minutes. Your tandem instructor would give you a few short instructions to follow and you are all set for the jump. Costs $185 NZD per jump and it is totally worth it. No equipment needed. It is all provided.

Queenstown Mall

by ATXtraveler

It is hard to believe that in a tourist destination like Queenstown, NZ, I would be putting a shopping mall in the category of "Off the Beaten Path". In this particular instance however, people are underestimating the power of Adrenaline and how many people skip out on shopping to hit the main attractions. You can shop anywhere, but where else can you go skiing, shotover jetting, bungee jumping, sky diving, and so many other things in one place? Frankly, if you are thinking about coming to Queenstown for the shopping, I hope it is because you are allergic to fun! On several occasions when we walked by the mall on the way to another activity, we were the only ones near it!

So please feel free to come here for the fun, and if you really need a break from it... there are a few shops to occupy your time!

Glenorchy

by robertgaz

Glenorchy is a small town nestled in spectacular scenery on Lake Wakatipu in New Zealand's south Island. It is approximately 45km's by road from Queenstown.

Glenorchy is a popular tourist spot, close to many tramping tracks. It lies near the borders of Mount Aspiring National Park and Fiordland National Park.

The local scenery received worldwide attention when it was used as a backdrop for the 'Lord of the Rings' films.

Glenorchy is a 45 minute scenic drive up the lake from Queenstown.

Good food with a good view thrown in

by joanj about Skyline Gondola restaurant

Whether you eat in the restaurant, by day or night, or just want a quick snack out on the observation deck, you can be sure of exciting surroundings. If you eat outside, you can watch the people on the lift going up to start the luge runs, or watch paragliders(hangliders - or whatever they are called) taking off in the thermals. (Yes they may even be wearing them too!!!!!!!!)

There is a buffet restaurant, coffee shop, viewing decks, souvenir shop, skyline luge, kiwi magic movie, functions and conference facilities.

Note- the viewing area and restaurant is shown to the extreme right of the picture. Enlarge for a better view. I only had hot chocolate, but it went down a treat.

Comments