Central Ridge Boutique Hotel

4 Sydney Street, (formerly Mountvista Boutique Hotel), Queenstown, 9300, New Zealand
Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Queenstown

TSS EarmslawTSS Earmslaw

Local pink bubblyLocal pink bubbly

The world barThe world bar

Arrow RiverArrow River

HI,

I live in Australia, and am thinking of getting married in NZ,but have never been. I love the whole European scenery and I think Queenstown looks like that from the photos I've seen.

As, I won't be able to go to Queenstown before I get married, does anyone know what Queenstown looks like at the end of march or start of April??

I've been looking at Stoneridge estate/chapel by the lake, and TRelawn Place, but I'm a bit worried as in some photos,the scenery looks quite brown, and I want green.
Would appreciate any responses. Thank you :)

by aYankinSyd

Hey there - hopefully a local will reply with specific advice, but it's a great risk to take as Queenstown is one of the most beautiful places I've seen in the world. And it's so, so much fun. I certainly didn't see much 'brown', as it's a very green place with lakes and mountains. Simply amazing...

Your only risk I think would be the rain - that part of NZ is quite wet.

Congrats on your wedding!

by winterson

G'day,

I've been to Queenstown quite often and while it is a bit brown during the summer months, it does go a greener shade when the rains come. You will have to take your photos with a pine tree backdrop (plenty around) if you want a European look. The surrounding hills and mountains have a particular grass that won't green too much - its not pastures! There will be green around, in parks and on sheep farms as well as some of the surrounding wineries.

Hope this helps a little,
John

by kiwi

Queenstown is not as green as other parts of NZ, naturally, because it is an alpine town. Mountains are grey and brownish due to their structure, and the tussock grass is more golden than brown. but not green. There is a lot of green around the town from the evergreen trees.
There are grass areas, on the lower flats around and about. Stoneridge has grass areas around the lodge and chapel. I'm sure you'll be happy there.
The Stoneridge website shows all you need to see, in it's photo gallery.

thanks for that :)

by Engagedlady

Thanks so much for your response. It's helped!
Also, I'm also considering Christchurch, is that more european looking do you think?

by winterson

Hi again,

No Christchurch has more a backwater feel to it. Its more like a big regional Australian city, ie Geelong, perhaps Adelaide, but I it did not feel European (apart from the poor imitation of the Avon river scene).

Why not go to Europe!

Anyway, if I had my choice for a wedding it would be Queenstown

Regards
John

by kiwi

Well I really don't know what you actually want. But in many respects if you consider the Alps, Queenstown IS European. Either way, if you want Europe , then yes go to Europe. Christchurch is a lovely city with an English feel to it.
I too, however, would prefer Queenstown. But it is all a personal preference.
The mountains are totally impressive :-) Stoneridge Estate and chapel, is very very nice, I have been there a few times.

by 2Cities1Love

Queenstown would be an awesome backdrop for wedding photos lol

Travel Tips for Queenstown

William Gilbert Rees, the first Settler

by Kakapo2

You cannot miss his statue at the lakeside. William Gilbert Rees, sculpted together with a sheep, was the first settler in Queenstown, so the founder and pioneer, and had a huge sheep run at the site where the township of Queenstown is now, and far beyond.

Rees was born in Wales in 1827 and came to New Zealand with his wife Frances in 1859. They arrived in Port Chalmers, the port of Dunedin. In early 1860 he set off with five other guys and explored the High Country. Four of them gave up. Only Rees and Nicholas von Tunzelmann carried on. From the Crown Range they discovered “The Promised Land of Rees”. They travelled by horse, on driftwood rafts and on foot. After six weeks they returned to Dunedin and lodged their claims to grazing rights.

Rees gained rights to graze more than 240,000 acres in the Wakatipu basin. To take 3000 merino sheep across the mountains and rivers proved to be an extreme challenge. But he succeeded, and settled near the point where you see his statue, and erected the first buildings. In 1863, William Gilbert Rees was operating no less than 14 businesses in the town – as a carrier, coach proprietor, lighterman, boat builder, hotel keeper, store keeper, contractor, sawyer, gold buyer, slaughterman, baker, land agent, runholder, and ferryman.

The goldrush that had already started in Otago became a big problem for Rees, as gold-diggers swarmed over his land. He provided food and transportation for them but his sheep farming became more and more difficult. At the end he was paid compensation of about 10,000 pounds for the affected part of his farm, and he moved to the Kawarau Falls.

He did not stay there for long. In 1869 he moved on to manage sheep stations at Benmore (no lake at the time…), Otekaieke, Tekapo (no lake there either…), and Galloway near Alexandra. Later he became Government Stock Inspector in Timaru, Greymouth, Ashburton and Wellington. He retired in 1897.

Rees died in Wairau on 31 October 1898, aged 71. His wife died 28 years later in Stoke near Nelson.

His monument in Queenstown was erected in 2001.

You will stumble over his name every now and then, for example Rees Dart Track, but also names like Cecil and Walter Peak which have been named after his son Cecil Walter.

You find quite good and detailed information about William Gilbert Rees on the homepage of the Rees Hotel
Click on Home, then on History.

Good info also on this website:

Photo 2 shows the plaque of Rees’ statue.

Skiing at Coronet Peak

by Tara2001

We went skiing at Coronet Peak and whilst it was fun, it was really busy and overcrowded. Also, they hadn't had much snow so one of the lifts was closed and snow cannons were used elsewhere. There are many hire shops in the town.

Back up to the top....do I want to do it again?

by grets

Then of course you've got to climb back up the 143 feet to the top. When I looked at it from the top, I never thought I'd make it back up again - I was sure my knees would still be shaking too much.

But when I am actually there, I am so full full of energy from the adrenalin, endorphins and seratonin or whatever the enzymes are called that the brain produces under such circumstances, that I run most of the way up!

I very relieved mother is there to welcome me, along with David ofcourse, and I get a cheer and a round of applause when I reach the top. Complete strangers come up to speak to me and congratulate me - there are two other buses stopped here now.

Flyfishing

by robertgaz

I had never tried flyfishing before so while in the Otago region I thought that I'd give it a go and organised a full day trip with Dreamwaters. The region is famous for it's fresh water trout.

Bruce Leitch was our guide for the day who picked us up from our accommodation and took us to all the best river locations and provided all our equipment including rods, waders, fishing license and lunch.

It's a fantastic way to spend a day and forget about the world for a moment or two in good company!

Winnie Bagoes Gourmet Pizza Bar

by wassa_01 about Winnie Bagoes Gourmet Pizza Bar

This place is one rocking pizza bar / restaurant. It was the best place I found in my quick little adventure when I was in NZ. I have been thinking about the pizza for the last year? its just that good. It has a great atmosphere, at about 10 it becomes a nightclub and has this amazing roof. Every hour or so they open up the roof so you can see the stars and the moon, just to let some fresh air in. Apparently it is amazing when it is snowing and they open up the roof and let the snow in. I think if you are looking to have a good time you have too visit this place? Ummm what was my favourite I cant remember I think I liked all of their pizzas! You have to get there !!!

Comments