91 Fernhill Road, Queenstown, South Island, 9197, New Zealand

Orbitz.com Agoda.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Too far away from the Town Centre

This is based on the comments of my husband who was grumpy when he stayed at this hotel because his flight was cancelled after a one day business trip only, so he did not have anything for overnighting, no toothbrush, no nothing. (And he was too grumpy to ask for an emergency kit LOL)

As he booked on www.wotif.com from the airport (which brought the NZ$ 450 rack rate down to NZ$ 140), they accommodated him in the worst room with mountain view which indeed was a view of the trees and grass behind the hotel.

If you pay the full price you might get the views you are dreaming of, as the Heritage is located on a steep hill (Fernhill) 2 km north of Queenstown (towards Glenorchy), overlooking Lake Wakatipu.

This is the problem with this and the other hotels of this area and why we had always avoided staying there. It is not at walking distance to the town centre, and even if you bothered you would have to climb a steep hill on the way back, and walk along the highway. Or drive – and not have too many drinks for dinner. However, knowing that this is a problem for many customers there is a free shuttle into town every hour.

Taxi cost from the airport was NZ$ 38.

The Heritage is rather new, architecturally one of the nicer buildings and has plenty of underground carparking.

The rooms are big, hubby had a king-size bed. Separate bath and shower.

When you make coffee or tea in your room you call the room service which provides fresh milk of your choice! And there is no need to tell them your room number.

Internet is hugely expensive, so you better go to an internet café.

The room service menu was quite nice and the prices reasonable.

Not only on Wotif you can get great rates but also on the hotel’s website, as Last-Minute-Rates. (Hopefully you do not end up with the shrub views…)

Although I could easily rate this hotel with five stars I only gave it three. I deducted one for the location and the inconvenience of getting into town (where it can be extremely difficult to find a carpark at all, even if you are willing to pay). And I deducted a second one for giving the poor luggage- and toothbrush-less man the worst room of the hotel.

Directions: 2 km north of the township, on the road to Glenorchy; right turn up a steep hill

• jag17's Profile Photo

Good Choice

We started our trip with a few days at the Heritage Queenstown. We were very pleased with the accomodations, and would definitely recommend it. The rooms were quiet, large, clean, and the staff was very helpful.

Buffett, continental, or cooked breakfast available for purchase in the dining room.

Unique Quality: A complimentary bus comes by frequently to take you to town if you don't want to walk.

Directions: 10-15 minute walk to town

• bryINpoland's Profile Photo

Heritage Queenstown Resort

The Heritage Queenstown Resort was our home away from home for 5 nights. Though it is classified as a luxury resort, I think you will be pleasantly surprised that you don’t have to pay luxury prices to stay here. Last minute booking deals on their website could save you hundreds of dollars but we found the best way to go was through Ski Express Holidays. Package deals included ski lift passes, rentals as well as accommodation and transportation between the ski fields.

• Ok, not as good as I'd hoped

I stayed here for my honeymoon in Feb 06 for 5 nights. The hotel itself is beautiful, and the grounds are lovely. The rooms weren't huge and didn't have a fridge, but we did have a nice view being on the 3rd floor of the forest wing (lakeview wing are the delux rooms and forest and waterfall wings are standard), luckily our room was on the forest side, so we had a view, if you end up with a room on the other side of the wing you overlook the central area of hotel and have no privacy. All rooms appear to have a balcony which is really nice if you've got a view. If you stay here, definately ask for a room on the "outside" face of the wings so you get privacy, otherwise it wouldn't be all that great using your balcony.

My husband wasn't very happy with the service we received upon check in, he informed reception that we were on our honeymoon and asked if there were any upgrades or specials avaiable to us, and was told that he should have arranged this earlier and there was nothing she could do (even though our email booking clearly stated we were on our honeymoon). Didn't bother me too much though, and I found the rest of the staff very friendly, and would say hello to you when they saw you around the hotel. Maid/room cleaning service left something to be desired though, e.g. furniture would be moved out, presumable to vacume or reach power points, then wouldn't be put back into place! Little things too like not replacing empty boxes of tissues and not replacing dirty wine glasses, just removing them etc. I've noticed in other 5 star hotels the maids usually do a bit of a tidy up, not here (and we weren't very messy either, just little things you'd expect like tidying up piles of magazines or putting away cutlery etc). Not big enough things to make our stay bad, but not quite the level of service you'd expect from a hotel of this quality.

Overall still a very nice hotel, but was expecting a little more in terms of service - maid/cleaning service lets the Heritage down.

Unique Quality: The buffet breakfasts were really good, and the pool/spa/sauna very nice. The hotel presents itself very nicely, it really is beautiful from the outside.

The Heritage is a bit far out of town for a casual walk, but there is a free bus which leaves every hour. I think I would have prefered to stay a bit closer to the town centre though,in retrospect.

Directions: Fernhill

• DiezelT43's Profile Photo

A view from your room you'll never forget

Heritage was probably the best hotel I've ever been in. Between the service, the food, and amenities, I do not think one can do much better. The balcony in my room faced the lake, and was a great view to wake up to. The staff was very friendly, and the food was addicting.

Directions: 10 minute walk from Shotover Dr.

• Heritage Hotel - No Thanks

We reserved a lake view studio suite which we received but it was on the ground floor in the corner and was told we would not be able to change rooms because all other similar rooms were sold out in our category. Thats fine but all 6 nights and no one contacted us concerning a room change the entire stay after our request was put in.

One of the main reasons we picked the hotel was for the Internet service in the room. No where on the website or during the reservation process was I informed of the $33.68 daily charge for Internet service.

Started looking for the coffee plunger that was to be in our suite and opened up the dishwasher to find it full of dishes! They were clean though. After putting the dishes away a coffee plunger was immediately brought to us.

Now here is the one that made me write this review...we pull back the bed and found the sheets had not been changed! Hair was all over the sheets! First time I have had that experience in 20 years in this business. New sheets were brought to our room and it was 11PM so I ended up just making the bed myself although the staff did offer to change the sheets.

The other thing that bothered me was the joining room door, you can hear and smell everything that is cooking in the room next door.

Other than our newspaper request for the first morning never arrived, the rest of the week went pretty smooth. Room service was a great price and the food excellent. Never had a problem with fresh sheets and towels after day 1.

Unique Quality: Check out the pic we shot from our room...you gotta admit the view is pretty nice!

Directions: It is a long walk to town, never did it as we had a car. They do provide a shuttle but be ready to pay for the ride.

• kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

Heritage Hotel

I didn't stay in the Heritage Queenstown as it was beyond my budget for the trip I made however I have stayed in their hotels in Auckland and I took a look at the facilities while I was there. It is a classy hotel and in my opinion one of the nicer hotels in Queenstown.

Unique Quality: Although the Heritage is located at Fernhill which is a little out of town it offers some really stunning views of Lake Whakatipu and The Remarkables.

More about Heritage Queenstown

Extremely nice

We stayed at The Heritage Queenstown in a suite on our honeymoon and thought it was fantastic, the room was gorgeous and even had a washing machine. It is though slightly out of town (10 min walk). The main down side we found was that the staff are not that helpful.

Simply the Best!

Stayed 7 days didnt want to leave. With a family of 6 (14-20yrs)it was a pleasant surprise to find such generous sized Villas 3 bedrooms, 2bathrooms(marble no less!)Ultra modern full sized kitchen ample room to move even a garage. Combine the great views and location, friendly helpful, knowledgable staff and the superb accomodation what more can I say Simply the best!

Just what a good hotel should be at a major tourist destination

by TripAdvisor Member Welsh Peter

From the moment of our arrival to the minute we departed we felt very well looked after at this first class hotel. The Reception Staff (all of them) were both friendly and extremely efficient. The one bedroom suite was magnificent with a wonderful view over the lake and the Remarkables. The bar and dining room staff were excellent. One barman drew a map of the best wineries to visit, where to eat lunch and even the best wines and vintages to drink at each winery. On enquiring where to go for a good chinese meal, one receptionist suggested a restaurant where the staff go - "its not the most expensive or the most swanky but the food is the best" - and she was right!

Okay, so it is not cheap to stay here but my goodness you get tremendous value for money.

Comments