62 Frankton Road, Queenstown, New Zealand

Agoda.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 36% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Sad end to otherwise good stay

I stayed in this motel for four nights while attending a conference in Queenstown. I arrived on a wet, stormy evening and was immediately shown to my room by a helpful, engaging young lady, who explained the motel's green principles and amenities very clearly. I was very impressed with the place.

Unfortunately, my experience was completely spoiled by a single incidence of appalling customer service. On the day I checked out, at 10am, I booked a shuttle to the airport that afternoon.

When I returned, I picked up my bags and waited for the shuttle outside. 15 minutes after pickup time the shuttle had not arrived and I was getting worried, so I asked for a cab to be rung. The owner was very huffy and said the shuttle was unreliable now that it had new owners, who the motel owners preferred not to patronise. She had not at any time told me of alleged problems with the shuttle, just recommended a cab instead. I walked out to find the shuttle in the car park. I ran back in to tell the lady this. She huffed again and said I had to get the taxi. I said I was late and the shuttle had loaded my bags. I got into the shuttle and the lady *ran out of the office*, accosted the driver and demanded I get out and take the cab instead.

Needless to say I was gobsmacked. I did take the cab. I checked in, in time, and then found my camera was missing. I think it is fair to say I wouldn't have lost my camera had I been less flustered and distressed. Fortunately, the taxi company found my camera, but by now I had to board. I spent nearly double the price of the shuttle on the cab, and now also have to pay for my camera's return. Unfortunately, I can no longer recommend this motel. I do hope however that the owners work on their customer service skills and make their motel into the wonderful place it should be.

Unique Quality: At the time I visited, the motel had obviously been recently refurbished. I was impressed by the commitment to green principles without sacrificing a contemporary luxurious look. The kitchenette has built-in recycling bins, in a pull-out drawer, all the lamps use long-life bulbs and in the bathroom, they use liquid soap (to avoid waste) and encourage guests to dry and reuse their towels on the heated rail. There is actually a bath, which is unusual in motel accommodation.

The room was very attractive and spacious. While there isn't really a view from the room, all you have to do is step out on the balcony to look directly at the lake and the mountains. The views are really stunning.

The room remained immaculately clean during my stay. Beautiful white towels, nicely folded and presented, in the bathroom, plenty of hot water, and a nice powerful shower above the bath. The motel is fairly close to town.

More about Queenstown

Devil's Staircase, Lake WakatipuDevil's Staircase, Lake Wakatipu

PescaraPescara

Rees Street DelicatessenRees Street Delicatessen

Chinese SettlementChinese Settlement

Accomodation and activities

by saifudeen

I am a student from Singapore and I'm planning to backpack alone to New Zealand for the entire month of March 2008. I'm thinking about spending most of my time, maybe 14 days, in Queenstown. Will the town be busy then? Do i need to book my activities before hand? I have quite a low budget, just there to take a break, but I have to try the bungy jump.

Any recommendations for sites or affordable activities in Queenstown or any other city?
What other parts of New Zealand should I visit?
As i do not have a driving license, how can i travel and is it convenient?

I am so excited but clueless!
Thank you so very much for your time.

Re: Accomodation and activities

by wctan72

Hi.. think March should be OK. You don't really need to book the activities as there are so many to choose from. Its just that they are not cheap by Singapore standards! Price is generally quite similar throughout NZ... Can't help you on the traveling part as NZ is a place that you really need to drive to see more of her.

Re: Accomodation and activities

by chansomvia

I live in New Zealand and would like to give you some information to help you out as you say you are a student with a low budget.
1. Queenstown is the most expensive town in New Zealand because of it is a very popular tourist destination. It is not as backpacker friendly as Christchurch,Auckland,Rotorua,etc.
2. After the bungy jump in Queenstown there is not much else to do without a car. Suggest travel to other towns after the jump
3. You can travel quite well using buses and backpacker coaches between cities. Schedules are on the internet, Youth Hostels and tourist information Centres are a great source of information. You should join the YHA. You can book your accommodation and get travel plans as soon as you arrive at the airport where they have an excellent tourist centre, March is a quiet time so booking is not essential, in any case if the hostel is full the hostel or hotel will help you to get another room/bed, Kiwis are very friendly and helpful.
4. Public transport in the major cities are adequate so even without a car most backpackers are able to do as much as those in a car, though not as fast as those in a car.
5. Food, for example a plate goreng mee is NZ$6 in Christchurch, Auckland and Wellington but NZ$10 in Queenstown. But 2 minute packet noodles bought from supermarkets here and cooked yourself is cheaper than in Singapore.

There are other forums on New Zealand which will give you added information. Search as all details you requested are fully covered, I do not know if I am allowed to give you the website but you can send me a personal message.
Selamat jalan

Travel Tips for Queenstown

The Place where the Demon Lies

by Kakapo2

Lake Wakatipu is the South Island’s second largest lake after Lake Te Anau. It is Z-shaped, has a total length of 77 kilometres, and covers 293 square kilometres.

It is surrounded by steeply rising mountains. Ice-age glaciers carved it out. The deepest point is 378 metres.

The lake has a natural rock dam, lying at Kingston at the southern end of the lake. The terminal moraine blocks the flow of water into the Mataura River valley.

You can observe an interesting phenonemon at Lake Wakatipu, called transverse seiche. Due to wind or atmospheric pressure variations the level of the lake alters by as much as 15 centimetres. You can observe this best at Bob’s Cove, a place on the way between Queenstown and Glenorchy.

However, I am not too much impressed by this. Everybody talks about it, but many guides who tell you have not really watched it. Given that the wind can be very strong and that two rivers feed the lake near Glenorchy, this observation does not take my breath away ;-))

The word Wakatipu means “Place where the Demon lies”. According to Maori legend a giant demon kidnapped a Maori chief’s daughter and took her to his home in the mountains. After walking against a strong nor’easter (wind) he lay down to sleep, with his head near Glenorchy, his knees at Queenstown, and his feet at Kingston. The girl’s lover who had followed their traces set the sleeping giant on fire, and the burning fat carved its way into the earth. That is why Lake Wakatipu has its Z-shape. The variation of the lake’s level were said to be the demon’s pulsating heart.

Although I am a lover of such legends I must really wonder about this one. If the giant was burnt why should his heart still be pulsating? And if he was 77 kilometres tall when lying down, it should not have taken him more than five steps to cross the South Island, wherever he kidnapped the girl… So why should he have been exhausted after those some steps against the strong wind and needed a rest?... Hubby says I am a spoilsport... ;-)

Anyway – this is the explanation where the name comes from.

River Boarding

by kiwigal_1

River Boarding is similar to boogie boarding in the sea except you go down a "white-water" river. In Queestown, the best place to try this is with Mad Dog River Boarding who run their river boarding at "Roaring Megs" (see picture) which is a scenic stretch of rapids on the Kawerau River.

I didn't actually do this but stopped to take a look at Roaring Megs on my way through. It really is an impressive stretch of river if you like that kind of thing! You should use their equipment for this activity.

Arrowtown

by robertgaz

Arrowtown is a small historic gold mining town and it is located on the banks of the Arrow River.

There is road access directly to Queenstown via the Shotover Gorge and another route via picturesque Lake Hayes.

Just to the north of Arrowtown, on the banks of Bush Creek, is the partially restored Arrowtown Chinese Settlement.

Arrowtown is an easy half hour drive from Queenstown.

Around the Historic Arrowtown, site of LOTR movie

by AusPinay

Around the little historic township of Arrowtown are fascinating surroundings - quaint village atmosphere dating back from the gold boom of the 1800's still with their original buildings now housing interesting arts and crafts, including the town's museum where one can also hire tools and other equipment for gold panning at the nearby Arrow River.

Restaurants and cafes are also abundant with what seemed to be a quiet village atmosphere yet
rich in history and culture. After all, they still have the Chinese Miners' Village, richly preserved since gold was discovered in the river around the early 18th century. Understandably, as many places in New Zealand were used as settings for scenes in Lord of the Rings, the town was one of those used in the movie!

The Tolkien movie used also Arrow River and the surrounding lush greenery around Arrowtown.

The best restaurant views in the world?

by littlebush about Skyline Gondola restaurant

The restaurant at the top of the gondola has arguably the best views in the world!-over looking the lake and mountains.
we had lunch up there, you can get a all in 1 ticket from the bottom for $49nz for the gondola plus a buffet lunch. The food is first class with good service - we stuffed out faces and enjoyed the view. Dinner is something like $65, best book up.

Also had some food in the Red Rock pub. They do a massive platter for $13, and also nachos for $10-both come highly recommended.

Comments