Rydges Lakeland Resort Queenstown

Orbitz.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 34% less but rated 17% lower than other 4 star hotels

• Be Warned

I booked a sleep-and-go room at rydges which is advertised as a 4 star hotel. The room was small, the curtains torn, the lamp shade broken, the lighting dim and the furniture very old and dated. The table and chairs where a wooden outdoor setting put inside the room. The room had a view of the the street behind the hotel with no privacy and the room had a musty odour.

Because the room is at the back of the hotel you had to get one lift then walk across the 6th floor to another lift to catch it. So the trip to the room takes a long time from the lobby.

You can get much better value at other places. When I complained about the room I was told it was a room people book who don't want to stay in the rooms.

To the hotel's credit they did upgrade the room for free but the point is the hotel advertises this room as a cozy room and does not mention it is at the back and has no views. It certainly doesn't meet the usual standard for the Rydges Hotel chain.

• mrmaulikshah's Profile Photo

Queenstown largest hotel

Rydges Queesntown is one of the largest buildings in QT. The hotel has free parking (unlike Rydges Auckland, where we were charged 15$ overnight parking charge). I had heard quite a lot of disastrous reviews about the hotel, when it was undergoing construction for major part of the last year. Hence I was naturally apprehensive.

I was allotted one of the newer rooms on the 2nd floor with a common terrace. The room itself was extremely small, but had soothing interiors. All the rooms in the hotel were lake-facing and offered good views of Laka Wakatipu and the Remarkables. ONe complaint I had was that the room was not completely sound prrof and hence you could hear muffled sounds from the adjoining rooms. Also the bedsheets in my room were not changed for 3 days on a stretch, inspite of us telling the hotel staff repeatedly. It was only on my last day at QT that the housekeeping staff decided to change the sheets.(a farewell present, maybe)

We were on our honeymoon and unlike other hotels I stayed in NZ, Rydges QT offers nothing complimentary on such special occasions. Also like its Auckland cousin (Rydges Auckland), the staff seem to have been instructed not to smile.

The breakfast in the hotel was pretty good. However the same menu is repeated everyday. Can get a bit tiring if u plan to stay in QT for more than 3 days. Also, being vegetarians, there wasn't much of a choice in terms of food. When asked if the hotel could arrange a vegetarian dish for breakfast, the staff served us french fries and chips, without mentioning that we would be charged (unlike other hotels, who were keen to serve us an additional dish free to solve our food problems)

On the whole, The stay was a decent one without being a good one.

Unique Quality: Good interiors, Great views, Small rooms, No soundproofing, Decent food

More about Rydges Lakeland Resort Queenstown

No Problems

by TripAdvisor Member DELTABLAHBLAH

No problems at the Rydges.

The property was fine for an overnight stay. Passing through Queenstown after 4 days in Milford Sound. The only real reason we really wanted to stay at the Rydges was because of the outdoor swimming pool.

It would have been nice if the adjacent bar had opened before 5:00 PM, but this was not a big deal.

For the price of approximately $130 NZ, we received what we expected. A lake view room on the top floor. I believe it was the 10th floor.

Easy walk to the city center along the lake.

%^&()%@#@ - and other unprintables

by TripAdvisor Member rydges_shocker

I'm presently attending a conference and though I chose "economy" I was rather shocked at the state of the room. My "economy" room faces the west so I get all the afternoon sun. The room is stuffy and even with two electric fans, the room didn't cool down until after 11pm. I am now suffering from seasonal asthma and might have to go back to Australia even before the conference concludes. I requested to move to another part of the hotel or to another place but it's chock-a-block in Queenstown. I've spoken to a few participants and they're also not happy. A colleague told me that the reason she didn't book at Rydges was because she read the reviews. I wish I had spoken to her before I booked it.

It's been a horrific two nights stay and counting and to think I'll be staying there until Saturday.... (if I won't be evacuated).

the conference organisers arranged my accommodation.

When I complained to hotel staff I was told they knew that the room can get really hot and stuffy. I was also told that the organisers knew about this but the organisers All Occasions Management from Adelaide South Australia didn't inform me that the "economy" rate is actually in a furnace.

Be warned. I won't recommend this hotel if you are booked in its economy section. Thanks. Olive

Pleasantly surprised

by TripAdvisor Member Cizzles

I too read some of the 'not so good' reviews after booking my stay here and arrived with some trepidation. I needn't have worried. My room was obviously not one of the refurbished ones, but was perfectly good. Bed was very comfortable, room was kept clean & tidy. Fantastic view. Breakfast was great. All of the staff, except for one female on reception were excellent. The Savoy it was not, but I would certainly go back. So there!

I would rather have slept in the car..

by TripAdvisor Member kathy1984

When I was planning my New Zealand trip and booking accommodation for Queenstown, I had a choice between this hotel and the Outrigger Beacon (they were both around the same price). Unfortunately I had not yet heard of Tripadvisor and made a BIG MISTAKE.

Right from the moment we drove our car up it was a disaster. No bellhop in sight so we had to unload our own luggage (which is fine). The hotel parking was full (and not even reserved for hotel guests only) so we had to park on the street. Check-in was a 15 minute wait. The hotel had no record of our reservation being pre-paid and so that took even longer to sort out. The lady at the counter was both clueless and condescending. One of the worst check-in experiences I've had.

Eventually we make our way up to the hotel room (the hallways were old and smelled strange). We step into our room and notice it has been just (poorly) refurbished. Very poor paint job, no shower curtain, TV not plugged in, etc. And the so-called king bed was really just 2 singles pushed together. Had a decent view of the lake, but also of the inside of a few other hotel rooms.

Won't be staying here again.

Never again

by TripAdvisor Member kiwi555

Was really looking forward to our night in Queenstown. Needless to say will not be returning to this place even if someone paid me.

It wasn't their fault that a rock was thrown through our window at 2:45am on Easter Sunday morning (definitely a rude awakening). But how they handled it left something to be desired. When we phoned later that morning to let them know, Julian from the desk was apologetic and came to clean it up. Not his fault of course.

When checking out (after a disastrous breakfast there - we shouldn't have bothered), I thought I would ask the duty manager checking us out if he happened to hear about the rock through our window incident (I guess I was fishing for some sort of reassuring/professional response). Instead he thought it was amusing - laughed, and then tried to charge us twice for the rooms. No "Sorry - hope your next stay here will be better".

Room smelt of paint. Carpet needed vacuuming. Staff seemed like they would rather have been somewhere else.

A real disappointment as have stayed at Rydges in Rotorua, Auckland and Australia and found them all to be fantastic.

Great view! Good price!

by TripAdvisor Member DCChris

We did not read about this place on TA before heading to Queenstown. We had checked out some prices on wotif.com and were looking to stay at Oak Shores, Crown Plaza or Peppers Beacon. Oak Shores was too far from town, the front desk staff at Peppers was brusque and disorganized, and Crown Plaza was a little pricey (given this was our last stop on a 2 week holiday). Rydges looked decent, offered us a very good price, and our room had a fantastic view of the lake and the mountains. The room was a bit small, but was clean and the bed was comfortable. We even had a balcony to sit out with a glass of wine and enjoy Queenstown in the fall. The front desk staff was very friendly and informative. At check out we were incorrectly charged for some mini bar items and the clerk took it right off. This isn't posh living, but it fit the bill for us.

great hotel lots of fun

by TripAdvisor Member kerro

i had read the reviews of this hotel on here before i went and i was bit aprehensive about our stay but i shouldnt of worried. the rooms were big and comfy for a couple and although the bed was two singles pushed together it was huge and comfy. the view was abosloutly amazing worth every dollar. it was far enough away from town to see all the mountains filled with snow yet only a five minute walk into town. we walked home every night and it did take long. i enjoyed being out of town away from the noise. the staff were great and friendly answered all our questions, room cleaning was great. the only downide about the hotel is their bathrooms, dont expect to have a decent shower but the bathtub is large enough for two ppl. the big bath came in handy as i broke my wrist skiing. also their breakfast menu is overpriced but there was so many great resturants in town we never ate at the hotel.

Good hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member SKI-ON

Stayed three nights whilst skiing. Good location, just a short walk into town.
The room was clean and comfortable, but the bathroom was a bit dated and really quite small! We couldn't understand why they hadn't used some of the room space (which was ample) and extended the bathroom.
The view was great.