4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

10-18 Brunswick St., (formerly Mercure Grand St Moritz), Queenstown, South Island, 1116, New Zealand

Hotel St Moritz Queenstown - MGallery Collection
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• kiwi's Profile Photo

Great location, Great hotel.

After our flight aborted landing due to severe winds at ground level, we were redirected to a city far away. So from seeing the runway below at midday, flying away and a very long coach ride back, I finally got to Queenstown at 9.30pm that night. So it was such a pleasant surprise to discover that the hotel had upgraded me to a suite for my stay. The hotel staff were so very friendly and welcoming after a long day.
    The suite had plenty of room with a lounge, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. And of course the main feature was the view. Stunning view of the Remarkables (mountain range), Lake Wakatipu and Cecil Peak freshly covered in snow. The positive about the bad weather was the dusting of snow to make the area look even more magical the next day when we had blue skies !!
    St Moritz is perfectly located, slightly elevated for the view, and only a 5 min walk to the shops, even less to the lake side. And just 2 mins from the legendary Lady of the Lake, the steamship Earnslaw.
    St Moritz has plenty of amenities, gym etc, which I didn't really use. The restaurant is top class and the views amazing.

• JHarris88's Profile Photo

A welcome retreat

If you need a quiet place to stay in the adrenaline capital of the world then this place is for you.

Over looking the lake and the remarkables, St Moritz is a cozy home away from home.

It's just a 10 minute walk into the township

Unique Quality: Awesome views. Library. Fireplace. Bar. Did I mention the awesome views?

• joanj's Profile Photo

A room with a view

The first thing that greeted me when I walked into the lobby of this hotel, was the HUGE roaring fire in a stone built fireplace. I just sat in a deep armchair, and relaxed while our tour manager booked us all in.

Unique Quality: Comfortable, and our bedroom overlooked Lake Wakatipu, and we often saw the TSS Earnslaw sailing up and down the lake.

More about St. Moritz Queenstown

Horrible

by TripAdvisor Member FMC

My family and I stayed at the hotel from the 13-12-06 till the
16-12-06.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment which was located on the 6th floor. It was hot as we were virtually loacted in the roof of the hotel. The ventilation consisted of heating only but a single fan was available which was inadequate. In all the days we were at the hotel, I had to ring the front desk to organise housekeeping to clean our room even though we were out for most of the day.

Even though I rang through the front desk to ensure the daily paper be delivered from the first day, it was not carried out and I had to picked the paper from the lobby instead.

I agreed with another reviewer that you had to carry your bags to your room as there were hardly any porter. Checking out was no different.

Finally. we were leaving from Queenstown at 4 pm. A request for a late check out made on the previous day, Richard the duty manager mechanically told me that we could check out at 1130am instead of 11am. I thought all my christmases have come all at once. I spoke to housekeeping later that day and enquire the occupancy rate of the hotel and was told that the hotel was definitely not full.

Once again there was a previous reviewer who astutely noted the staff hardly make eye contact. I can vouch for the statement. T

We won't be back

FMC

Great Christmas Stay

by TripAdvisor Member tafawke

Arrived just before 2pm on 24 December (check in time) and the room wasn't ready - all the paper work was completed and we went for a drive around town (told to be back in 45 mins) - came back - room still wasn't ready - "not a problem, here are a couple of drink vouchers, we'll take your bags out of the car and put them in your room and park your car while we are at it..." One bedroom, lake view apartment on the same floor as the lobby - great views actually - same as restaurant so very impressive. Stayed Christmas eve and Christmas day - staff at desk and restaurant very friendly and accommodating, the little extras like the candy cane on the door handle and the little box of goodies at the door Christmas morning were nice. The room was spotless and well kept - There is nothing that could have been improved. Well done!!!

Spectacular View

by TripAdvisor Member fonzgirl

Spring for the lakeview room...it's worth it. The view is breathtaking. The staff was friendly and the rooms were very nice. We stayed in a two bedroom lakeview suite and the rooms were very spacious, including the bathrooms (we had two!). There is no need for air conditioning, as others have complained...just pop open the windows and balcony doors, as there is a constant breeze that comes off of the lake. Keep in mind that having such a spectacular view means that the hotel is at a higher latitude than others in town. If you are of moderate fitness, you will have no problem walking the hill back up to the hotel from town (it's a very short walk). We took one cab ride from the far side of town to the hotel and it only cost $6 (NZ, which is like $4 US) so that's definately an affordable option. The hotel itself is only a 3 to 5 minute walk to the town center. My only complaint involves the restaurant. Although my husband and I tend to stay away from hotel restaurants, after a long day of traveling we decided to try the fare at the St. Moritz's restaurant in lieu of venturing into town. Beware...the food stinks. The wine special that evening was a "Sommelier's Choice" of "premium" wine paired with bread and dips. There is no sommelier and their premium wine was subpar...it was a $15 bottle at best. (The bread and dips were very good, though). Also, their spinach gnocchi consisted of a pan fried ball of spinach, ricotta and potato that was so overfried that I needed a knife to eat it. In other words, it wasn't gnocchi (I've never even heard of fried gnocchi). It also had no flavor. The manager was VERY nice about the food situation and offered to provide us with another main course free of charge, in addition to taking the gnocchi off of the bill. So, despite the poor quality of food, the management was happily willing to remedy the situation. The replacement meal (a pizza) was just okay, but I greatly appreciated the fact that our dinner had been largely comped (not including the so-called premium wine). Since there are a massive amount of wonderful restaurants (I recommend FergBurger, Boardwalk, and Dux de Lux) within a short walking distance of the hotel, I would still happily recommend a stay at this hotel.

Wonderful and charming!

by TripAdvisor Member meauchi

We enjoyed our stay as well as the staff, room and overall feel of the hotel. We didn't have a single complaint! I would stay there again in a heartbeat...and I am one picky hotel guest. We stayed in a suite with a lovely view which I highly recommend!

Just Right!

by TripAdvisor Member australian73

This is one of the best value hotels in New Zealand. All the rooms are suites, giving you heaps of room to lounge around after a long day of skiing, coming complete with large bathrooms and servicable kitchen.
The service keeps getting better and better and it is safe to say on my most recent visit (Feb 2007), it has become world class. The bar is only small but has eveything you want. The food is a solid 8/10 and the location, walking distance to the lakes edge and the centre of the town, is spot on.
It is a charming almost boutique like hotel offering great vale for money and a wonderfully warm stay. They even organised a baby sitter, so my wife and I could enjoy a 'night out together'. I highly recommend this hotel to stay at in Queenstown.

Pleasantly surprised.

by TripAdvisor Member in60days

We arrived after a long drive from Mount Cook and were pleasantly surprised to find that we had been upgraded as it was low season. The hotel had a charming, but modern decor, with a warm atmosphere that was made even more welcoming by Stefan and Max: The Concierge team were unfailingly pleasant and accurate in helping us decide which excursions to take and then booking them for us. We were sorry to leave after just 4 nights.

Great, friendly service.

by TripAdvisor Member CtheGlobe77

I stayed at the Mercure Grand Hotel St. Moritz in Queenstown, New Zealand in March 2007. The hotel is very charming and reminiciscent of a french chateau. The staff was very friendly and helpful, particularly when it came to helping me organize fun activities in Queenstown.
The room I had was not lakeview. It was basically over the driveway. I found that particular room to be very noisy if I didn't keep the windows closed.
The rooms were clean and neat, but small. I had a very large suitecase with me and a couple of small bags and there wasn't a whole lot of room to put them.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, but next time I would request a lakeview room (or least one not near the driveway.)

Stylish accomodation

by TripAdvisor Member Solotraveler81

Staff were very friendly and helpful at accommodating my early arrival prior to their check-in policy time of 2pm. The hotel room was very clean with a comfortable king size bed.
My only disappointment was the position of the room; the room was very close to the walking path to the entrance of the motel that I felt I wouldn't have any privacy if I opened up the curtains. It was a good thing I didn't spend most of my time in the hotel room anyway, as there is so much to do in Queenstown.

A little more attention to detail needed

by TripAdvisor Member dreamonixx

Stayed here three nights in a one bedroom suite which was really amazing. HUGE room and comfortable fittings. Bed was just incredible! Can not fault the rooms AT ALL. The in house restaurant need s a bit of work. They are asking top dollar for the food yet the service doesn't match the price whic was a little disappointing. At breakfast the musli ran out and I had to go ask for more, the eggs ran out and so did the sausages. Chef seemed more focussed on preparing room service orders than "minding the shop". The plates in the plate warmer were so hot you couldn't touch them and I almost dropped mine because it was burning my fingers so badly. Staff slow at collecting in used dishes. At dinner the staff were friendly yet we found they didnt read their audience and were too formal with my group of friends who were very chilled out people having fun. If only they could learn to be appropriate to their audience. Eat elsewhere until they get this part under control. My fellow traveller went to check in and they could not find his reservation so was told he didnt have a room. He asked to use the internet so he could access his gmail and would forward the official Accor reservation to the front desk. The receptionist said SURE YOU CAN USE THE INTERNET - ITS $5 for 30 MINS..... After much debate she gave him free internet access and he sent them the rservation. Hotel was over booked and they had to find him another room in Queenstown - POOR POOR EFFORT !!! Front desk staff are hit and miss - there are a few girls there who should be working at a back packer, not this type of fine establishment. Shame! Concierge is one of the best I have encountered in NZ. They know their stuff and are very customer focussed - made up for the front desk people. The hotel has many winning aspects - sadly the front desk and restaurant let them down. If you are spending $30 for a main or $25 for b'fast then go elsewhere. If you want a great room then stay here, it's a gem.

Comments