Barnyard Backpackers

80 Mount York Rd, Rainbow Downs, Te Anau, South Island, New Zealand

• DO NOT STAY HERE!!

This place was AWFUL and the service was atrocious!

They did not have a fridge and did not inform us about this when we checked in (with our bags of groceries!). When we asked about the fridge the girl at the desk informed us that it broke (she failed to tell us this when we checked in). So was asked is there ANY fridge? No. What about an esky?? No, but you can have a chilly bag. So I said great - we'll use the chilly bag.

Then we sat around for 20min waiting for the chilly bag while she used the internet and ignored us. When we asked about the bag she RUDELY informed us that she was in the middle of something and she would get us the bag when she was finished!! So we waited around for another 10min, and interupted her internet use to kindly ask for our money back.

She informed us that as we did not give 24hours notice we could not have our money back (by this stage we had been there for around 45min). We informed her that we were not given 24hours notice that they had no fridge!! We asked to speak to the manager, and she said she runs the place. This was NOT the woman I made the booking with (she looked about 18), and I said "so there is no one here but you?" she replied that she was the only person I could speak to. I saw the older woman (think it was her mum) later in the night and when we said hello she snapped "what did you say to me!!" at us - really nasty.

The girl eventually got us a chilly bag - so then we had to drive to the shops again to buy ice for it. When other guests arrived later in the evening they asked us where the fridge was, and we told them there was no fridge (this girl was STILL not informing guests about the broken fridge!), so we shared the chilly bag with them.

I do NOT recommend this place to anyone - stay somewhere else!

Unique Quality: The bedroom was filthy - with an uncomfortable bed, TV not working and broken lamp - this place sucked for $60!! (AUD)

The shared facilities were also filthy, I saw mice in the kitchen, the rubbish bin was overflowing and STANK out the kitchen, and the floor had not been vacuumed in a LONGGG time...

DO NOT STAY HERE UNLESS YOU WANT TO SLEEP IN FILTH AND GRIME...

Directions: 8km out of town - no shops or facilities close by.

Comments