Summer Holiday Hotel

Summer Holiday Hotel
Booking.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

More about Saipan

Bird Island-2010Bird Island-2010

Japanese gunnery placementJapanese gunnery placement

Suicide Cliffs, guns and Flame TreesSuicide Cliffs, guns and Flame Trees

Saipan divingSaipan diving

Travel Tips for Saipan

Historic Sites and must "go to" places

by NiTaLiN

Perhaps the best places to go to on Saipan would be all the perfectly preserved and well maintained World War II sites. From the Suicide Cliff to the Banzai Cliff to the American Memorial, Saipan has many places worth visiting and taking pictures at.

Another plus is during the "Flame Tree" festival - which is when the MANY flame trees are in full bloom. This usually happens between mid-May thru mid-July. In 2005, the flame trees were blooming late (late June). It is a beautiful sight to see from the airplane, especially when arriving in the day time. Very breath-taking! What really stays on my mind is the fact this island, half the size of my homeplace Guam, is progressing quickly. My fellow islanders are really proud, too, of their homeplace in that you VERY rarely see any eye sores such as junk vehicles and trash along the sides of the roads. Awesome display of pride that other places around the world should follow!

Banzai Cliff and Suicide Cliff

by Eurasian68

In the north end of the island, these cliffs area memorial for World War II. Large numbers of Japanese civilians jumped to their deaths from these cliffs rather than surrender. After the war, the US military pushed tanks, trucks and other surplus war material off Banzai Cliff rather than ship them home.

A remarkable experience when standing up the cliff!

Saipan, the island with the friendly people.

by haakon22

"Garapan, centre of Saipan."

My wife and me visited Saipan and Rota in September 2006. We had a quiet, warm and wonderful 14 days. The local people in the Marianas must be among the most friendly people in the world.
After trying out some hotels, we ended up on Fiesta Resort & Spa in Garapan. The hotel is on the beach and there are short distance to many good restaurants and shopping centre.

"Historical places from WWII"

At the end of WWII, the Japanese troupes realized that it was over, and many of the soldiers choosed to jump from the Suicide Cliff or the Banzai Cliff.
The caves of Saipan still contain the remains of Japanese troupes who held out during prolonged guerrilla warfare. As late as 1952, a few stragglers surrendered, unaware that the war had ended.

"Weather in September"

Even though we travelled to Saipan in the rainy season, we had great weather. Some rain showers in the night time, and sometimes also in the afternoon, but soon after the sun was shining, and in 30 dg.C some water is just refreshing.
We didn't see any mosquitos on Saipan.

TharSheBlows...

by 1oddduck

""UpInSmoke-NOT!" A.FineSaltyMistComingMyWay...."

...I couls become one big salt-crystal if I stood in that spot all day long!
My glasses were CAKED with the spray, and, I thought I might be developing a case of Glaucoma when my eyesight started diminishing as the day went on!....

"Well, we will be back for more very soon...."

...Thats Mark out in front heading for the little island of Madagaha here i the lagoon off the west side of Saipan. You can walk around that island in less than 12 minutes!!
[Mark is the one responsible for most of the pictures you see here. He has the digital camera, I don't!!]:-)

Comments