Wewak Hotels

Our Members Say

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wewak Hotel: Pleasant Outside Relaxation

One of the places we used for accommodations was the Wewak Hotel. It was a straightforward sort of place, located in the main part of town on the hill overlooking the Bismarck Sea.

What I liked about this hotel was its small outdoor eating and drinking area, where you could enjoy some cooling breezes coming in off the water while you chatted with the other guests and had a beer or two. Surrounded by palm trees, it made a nice way to wind the day down. After all, when you are this close to the equator, darkness comes early and there was not a great deal to do during the evenings in a place like Wewak!

• Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest, Business Travel

The View From my Room

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sepik Hotel: An Interesting Spot

The Sepik Hotel was also located in the main part of town, on Wewak Point. I had a great room on the second floor with a nice view out over the harbour and outdoor seating at the 'Wind Haus' (Wind House') outdoor dining area. Offshore in the background are the still largely pristine Kairiru and Muschu Islands, noted for their clear diving waters.

Because we travelled on company business, we always paid by an Elcom travel voucher, so I have no idea how much the rooms actually cost.

There was a very friendly Papuan Hornbill on the premises when I was staying here. These beautiful, almost 3-foot tall, birds seem to be very friendly, despite their massive beak which looks like it could do some serious damage! The one I encountered was balancing on the railing from where this photo was taken and would usually hop down in front of you to try to enter your guest room!

• Related to: Business Travel

Balcony View of the 'Wind Haus' Area

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Windjammer Beach Resort: Seaside Heaven

The Windjammer was a comfortable and laid-back single-level hotel, located along the narrow strip of land between the main road into Wewak and the coast of the Bismarck Sea. When working in this area, we did not normally spend our nights at the Windjammer but, because it was so close to the power station, we would often stop for a meal or some cold brews.

With its beautiful location, facing right onto the beach, it was great to sit in the shade and chill out as the waves rolled in. After a sweaty day in a noisey and dirty diesel-generating station, it was always good to just relax and enjoy the smell and sound of the sea. Fortunately, my Aussie mate and I were equipped with digital temperature probes on our test instruments, so we were able to confirm the temperature of our beers! Also, note the white styrofoam beer bottle holders, commonly used in PNG to maintain that desired cold temperature.

This place is still there and in action as far as I know.

• Related to: Business Travel