Kainantu Hotels

• Bwana_Brown profile photo Bwana_Brown
  • Reviews: 3530

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Elcom Housing at Yonki (Ramu Dam): VIP House

To accommodate the Electricity Commission staff running Ramu Hydro station, Elcom had a small township built close to the dam. We were able to use the 3-bedroom VIP guest house (typical of all the houses here) during our 5-day family excursion into the mountains. Unlike our house in Port Moresby, this one did not have the need for large amounts of louvered windows on the walls for cooling in the tropical heat!

On my previous solo visits to this area, I had become acquainted with a very nice couple from Napier, New Zealand who lived there as well. The husband was the supervisor of Ramu, so we consulted by phone regarding any issues he was experiencing and I would travel up when necessary to fix things. When on my own, they put me up in one of their spare bedrooms (even though they had two small children at the time) and would treat me to some great home-cooked meals.

Likewise on this trip, Sue had some company during the day while I did my work thing and we also went into Kainantu with our hosts for our big 'Nightlife' experience! We have maintained contact with them ever since, even after they moved back to Napier shortly after we finished our time in PNG.

• Opinion of Price: N/A