Alotau Hotels

Our Members Say

• pete_png profile photo pete_png
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bibiko Farm & Guesthouses: Genuine Ecotourism - Alotau, Milne Bay

I stayed for a month at the Mataio's new Farm & Guesthouses in January. I am so lucky that I found out about it through word of mouth - because had I stayed at any of the places the guidebooks tell you to go I wouldn't have had such a genuine, amazing experience.

The rooms in the bungalows are basic but very clean and have a charming feel about them. And they are amazingly cheap! Less than half the price of the cheapest places in town. 60PGK gets you dinner with the family included. And what a family, you'll fall in love with the little kids who run around playing all the time and say they "missed you" even if you'd even been gone a few hours... Dr & Mrs Mataio will look after everything you need - washing, food, bus to town.

But the highlight is definitely the village trips that Julius or one of the other adult sons can take you on. Campfires, spearfishing, hiking, swimming, snorkelling, amazing animal life both in the ocean and out - was one of the best weeks of my life. I especially loved new years eve - every village would set palm branches alight all along the beach for miles and miles and miles - and then eat a freshly killed pig.

Right opposite the beach. Really feel like part of the community - everyone on the farm knows who you are and wants to chat!

The village trips are very unique and amazing.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive